Tennessee father makes 14-year-old son wear sign as punishment for using drugs

Liebling:-)))

Sussi *7.7.86 - 18.6.09*
Premium Member
Reaction score

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) - A father says he wasn't trying to shame his 14-year-old son when he made the boy wear a large sandwich-board sign saying, "I abused and sold drugs."

"I'm not out here doing this to humiliate my son," the father told a television network as the teenager walked up and down the sidewalk Wednesday in front of Cedar Bluff Middle School.

"I'm doing this because I love him," he said. "We do have an extreme drug problem in America, and maybe it's time for extreme measures that parents need to take to monitor this problem that we have."

The man wasn't identified by the station to protect the confidentiality of the son, but he appeared on camera. The son's face was not shown.

The father said he recently learned after reading the boy's MySpace page that his son was involved with marijuana and OxyContin. That's when he decided to act, and the boy agreed to the punishment.

After a short time, the school's principal soon came out and asked the father to call it off, which he did.

By then the boy said he'd learned his lesson. "This is embarrassing. I ain't going to be doing it again," the boy said. "Drugs are for losers. That's all I can say."

Oh my God!!!!

That teenager need the help instead of being humiliate to the public.

Public humiliation doesn't solve anything to learn lesson but worst because the teenager need REAL help.

What do you think of this?

Come and discuss...

Good for his father. I agree with his father. His son stopped takin' drugs after wearin' a sign. It works ! :)

You think the public humilation works if any happened to your children, then good luck. :)

If any happened to my children then they will get the professional help.

Good for his father. I agree with his father. His son stopped takin' drugs after wearin' a sign. It works ! :)

I'm with you, I support the father, tough love, gonna do what you gonna do. ;)

It will NEVER works.

Are you telling us that it doesn't work after it has been announced that it worked.

I know humilation is hard but it may need a big jolt to wake any body with nasty habit.

If the boy said it worked, then it worked.

Are you telling us that it doesn't work after it has been announced that it worked.

I know humilation is hard but it may need a big jolt to wake any body with nasty habit.

Yes I know it will never work because of affect his self-esteem.

Do you beleive the boy's word? Surely he said this but how long? It will never work but harm his self-esteem... It will never work as long as they need REAL professional help instead of humaliate/punish them to the public...

psychological punishment: Information from Answers.com
public humilation is a psychological abuse.

Xenta, you are the one who can read "Even the school's principal soon came out and asked the father to call it off." I thought everyone here can read but I'm surprised that nobody says here about Principal but support father for that... It shows themselves is their ignorant and cold feeling.

Principal know what the father doing to boy is pain wrong.

For newbies

http://www.alldeaf.com/parenting/22006-mom-makes-daughter-stand-street-corner.html

We all been through this before about this discussion, We are not ignorant nor we have a cold heart, We support disciplining our child is a team effort. Parents who raise kids in this manner have kids who will want to behave more often than not. Children need to be accountable for their own behavior in order to learn. I and some of the parents here supports the wear of sign in public, embarrassment them would help them cope with their action that they've done. ;)

You think the public humilation works if any happened to your children, then good luck. :)

If any happened to my children then they will get the professional help.

Yup, I agree with you, also you are on my side. :D :D :D

I don't like his father's idea to punish the child on public area and would affect boy's self esteem.

There's two side of the story. Always remember this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this one though.

If the boy said it worked, it's because he's under control of his father. Never underestimate the power of what a father is capable of doing to his kids. If a father tells him that the sun revolves around the earth (instead of the other way around).... the kid will believe him and thinks he knows best.

Its not humiliation if the son agreed to the punishment. It's better than beating his butt.

Defee,

I think he might got a "thing" for Christians, like an obsession. :giggle:

j/k ;)

Aw how cute. I'm being bashed.

Again.

J/K ;)

(didn't you just called me a stalker and had me on ignore? yes I saw the post before it was deleted)

I am not sure how I feel about it..I am on the fence with this one but if it worked then why not? It may not work for all children though.

There's two side of the story. Always remember this. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out this one though.

If the boy said it worked, it's because he's under control of his father. Never underestimate the power of what a father is capable of doing to his kids. If a father tells him that the sun revolves around the earth (instead of the other way around).... the kid will believe him and thinks he knows best.

:gpost:

Public humiliation is not an appropriate punishment for a child.

It´s very poor parenting, which will cause rebellion and very low self-esteem.

Umm, I don't agree what his father is doing. Think about it for a moment. It should be in relationships involve, and by saying not trying to humiliate the boy? To me, it is horrible thing to do to anybody, no matter, kids or adults. Remember religious humiliate adulterer, Jesus pleased? Nope. True, not always works what his dad did. Many leading more rebellion out of anger and bitter.

Back