Teen's cruel joke hurts two deaf people

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dear Annie: I have two beautiful, well-behaved teenagers. You can imagine my dismay when I discovered my younger son was making fun of an older member of our church. This older man has severe hearing loss. My son and his friend were mouthing words without producing a sound, making the partially deaf person believe he couldn't hear anything.

When I questioned my son about his actions, he said his elementary school principal had encouraged students to play this same trick on a teacher who was battling a hearing problem. I asked my son how the teacher reacted to this teasing, and he said that he once saw her cry the entire day.

I think my son should write an apology to this teacher (who finally gave up and took an early retirement). My husband says the deed is done and it would only remind her of unpleasant days. Besides, he insists, it was not our son's fault. He was doing only what the principal wanted. What do you say?
Denison, Iowa, Mom

Dear Denison: Shame on that principal for making fun of a teacher and encouraging the students to do the same. Nevertheless, your son is old enough to realize his actions were hurtful and cruel.

A letter of apology to the teacher would be a kindness, but forcing him to write it becomes a punishment, not an expression of remorse. Instead, ask your son to put himself in the teacher's place and understand how much pain he caused her. She has not forgotten it. Letting her know he is sorry and asking for forgiveness can be healing. A verbal apology to the church member also is in order, and the sooner the better. Otherwise, the incident will always prey on his conscience. As it should.

http://www.sunherald.com/mld/sunherald/living/7942754.htm

What do you think? :(

:nono: Shame Shame on the Principal for teaching the children to make fun of a teacher who is unable to hear....How would the Principal like it if a teacher teach the children to do the same thing to him/her?....I am sure he/she wouldn't like it one bit... :roll: ...

I agree with Annie that the youngest son should write an apology to the teacher and a member of the Church....He should know better! :squint:

I can’t believe anybody that stupid could be promoted to the level of high school principal. He should be fired immediately without severance pay. I also think the teacher should consult with legal counsel. Based on that small amount of research I did for sethmantooth a few weeks ago, his behavior seems clearly actionable.

I met somebody a few months ago who was in the same situation. He’s about my age and suffering from a form of progressive hearing loss. One of his coworkers was doing exactly the same thing to him that that teenager was doing. And these were professional people—both were cameramen for a local affiliate of a major television network. It’s just fucking amazing how many people I meet who just never grow up.

That is so sad! I can relate to the deaf person in that article :cry: When i was a kid everyone knew that i was partially deaf, and kids would come up behind me and snap in my ears coz they knew i wouldn't hear it.

And also they always asked me to play that "telephone game" You know the one, where you all sit in a circle and someone starts a message and you pass it on, and the last person says it out loud to see how it's been changed. Yeah, needless to say i always got it wrong and was always the first one kicked out the circle :cry: Kids can be so cruel, and it sucks to see that a PRINCIPAL is encouraging that kind of behaviour.

That's sad. :( Unfortunately, I've been the butt of many jokes, myself...but what can we do? Really nothing - but TRY and laugh it off so that they don't see how much it really hurts.

:::sigh:::

I guess I'll make sure I remember this for when MY sons get to be teenagers. But you know, since they're both very sensitive boys, I don't think I'd have to threaten their lives if they should resort to such low actions. All I can do is remember the story and tell it to them when they're old enough to understand that certain jokes are NOT funny.

Malfoyish

Back