Teen Selective Mute Looking For Friends

Buddythebirdy

Reaction score
Hi! I'm abigail, a mute as said above. I'm learning asl and dutch, slowly. Its hard to find friends that arent mute or deaf that i get along with, too many questions. I'm really nice and outgoing with a passion for learning. I have knowledge of the deaf community, im 15 and from minnesota usa. I prefer no one over 18. Im very open minded. Im an average person, i just don't talk. If you're interested let me know! Thanks :)

Mute? That is a very archaic term, and wasn't aware that it was used except in the descriptor "selectively mute"

Mute? That is a very archaic term, and wasn't aware that it was used except in the descriptor "selectively mute"

It's not archaic at all. What other term would you use for someone who is completely unable to speak or produce sound (regardless of reason).

Mute means silent, and has no negative connotations to it (unlike the term "dumb" which *did* mean mute and *is* now offensive).

never thought id see someone learning ASL and dutch at the same time..
interesting combo..
and again welcome

It's not archaic at all. What other term would you use for someone who is completely unable to speak or produce sound (regardless of reason).

Mute means silent, and has no negative connotations to it (unlike the term "dumb" which *did* mean mute and *is* now offensive).

But, the word "selective" was used right before "mute".....

Thanks for defending me :)

Thanks for defending me :)
Don't be silly. Anji just wants to provide a proper definition. Infighting between members is frowned upon. Those attempting to cause controversy are regarded as having poor social skills.

Welcome to AllDeaf. I hope you could find someone like you on AllDeaf!

Nonverbal, (usually used as a euphanism for kids who function at the level of a baby) or nonspeaking. (usually for higher functioning people) Apraxic.... Sorry, I didn't mean to attack....just seemed to be kind of an odd word choice. Anyway, welcome!

Nonverbal, (usually used as a euphanism for kids who function at the level of a baby) or nonspeaking. (usually for higher functioning people) Apraxic.... Sorry, I didn't mean to attack....just seemed to be kind of an odd word choice. Anyway, welcome!

No Problem.
Your answer actually provided the reason they might favour the term mute :)

For others reading this (merely as a matter of clarification)

Nonverbal is usually part of a spectrum of other developmental issues. Non-speaking is merely a colloquialism of nonverbal with the same connotations of being part of other developmental delays.

Apraxia of speech is a very specific diagnosis - so would only be appropriate to use in that specific situation. (much like APD and CAPD are both very specific neurological conditions - APD being more general than CAPD which is even more specific - so all people with CAPD have APD, but only a small percentage of people with APD have CAPD)

Mute is a non-specific statement with no attached "cause". It is "stand alone" in that it very intentionally doesn't imply any other "issues" aside from not producing sounds with the vocal cords. A very good example would be people who have injuries or surgeries which affect their vocal cords, or have a temporary illness etc are considered mute. As are those with non-specific / un-diagnosed neurological or physical conditions - or when there is no clear connection to another condition/Dx.

Hope that helps!

No Problem.
Your answer actually provided the reason they might favour the term mute :)

For others reading this (merely as a matter of clarification)

Nonverbal is usually part of a spectrum of other developmental issues. Non-speaking is merely a colloquialism of nonverbal with the same connotations of being part of other developmental delays.

Apraxia of speech is a very specific diagnosis - so would only be appropriate to use in that specific situation. (much like APD and CAPD are both very specific neurological conditions - APD being more general than CAPD which is even more specific - so all people with CAPD have APD, but only a small percentage of people with APD have CAPD)

Mute is a non-specific statement with no attached "cause". It is "stand alone" in that it very intentionally doesn't imply any other "issues" aside from not producing sounds with the vocal cords. A very good example would be people who have injuries or surgeries which affect their vocal cords, or have a temporary illness etc are considered mute. As are those with non-specific / un-diagnosed neurological or physical conditions - or when there is no clear connection to another condition/Dx.

Hope that helps!
Actually to clarify further nonverbal seems to be more used for indivduals who have severe and profound intellectucal/developmental issues. Nonspeaking indicates a higher level of mental functioning.

Back