Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

I am proud to announce that the graduation for our pre schoolers some of the songs will be done in ASL!! Parents and family members will be able to see what they have learned.

We will be doing our ABC's, Days of the week, Moo Your Mouth, Maybe a few others. I can not wait!!

I am proud to announce that the graduation for our pre schoolers some of the songs will be done in ASL!! Parents and family members will be able to see what they have learned.

We will be doing our ABC's, Days of the week, Moo Your Mouth, Maybe a few others. I can not wait!!

Please take some pics of these cuties and post them here. I would love to see them!

I will do in June!

I have been doing this over the summer. The director and the other teachers loved it. So we all agreed it would make an excellent graduation program!

Just to show these kids are excelling in more ways that others. I have not yet had a parent complain that Signing is delaying their language skills.

ttiwwp.gif

Well you all have to wait until June!! I can not just take pictures of these kids and post them on the internet. I have to have parental consent.

I know. I was just enticing/provoking/trolling you :lol:

I will do in June!

I have been doing this over the summer. The director and the other teachers loved it. So we all agreed it would make an excellent graduation program!

Just to show these kids are excelling in more ways that others. I have not yet had a parent complain that Signing is delaying their language skills.

It's great to know that the parents are on board with your program! I can't wait until June!

Chris is in Pre K this year. Each time we teach him a new sign we give the teacher a copy of the flash card and show her the new signs, I've noticed parents standing in front of me while I'm doing this and coping the sign. It's awsome how they and the teacher is trying to learn it with him..

Chris is in Pre K this year. Each time we teach him a new sign we give the teacher a copy of the flash card and show her the new signs, I've noticed parents standing in front of me while I'm doing this and coping the sign. It's awsome how they and the teacher is trying to learn it with him..

That is great!!

Parents and teachers are all the time asking me how do you sign this or that.

I think it is great that people are eager to learn. It defiantly helps to educate people that it is OK to talk with your hands.

That is great!!

Parents and teachers are all the time asking me how do you sign this or that.

I think it is great that people are eager to learn. It defiantly helps to educate people that it is OK to talk with your hands.

Absolutely. We just have to keep demonstrating the benefits to counteract those stupid myths that persist despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Absolutely. We just have to keep demonstrating the benefits to counteract those stupid myths that persist despite all the evidence to the contrary.

I agree! Those myths you are speaking of, Meaning the delays?

Just want to be clear.

If you are thinking of the same "stupid myths" that ASL delays the oral language. I have to agree with you. It is an outrage that parents of Deaf children are told that. I only see it as and previously posted it over and over! It Helps to EXPAND the understanding and language skills. I feel it will teach implanted children to speak sooner and to have the understanding of language.

I agree! Those myths you are speaking of, Meaning the delays?

Just want to be clear.

If you are thinking of the same "stupid myths" that ASL delays the oral language. I have to agree with you. It is an outrage that parents of Deaf children are told that. I only see it as and previously posted it over and over! It Helps to EXPAND the understanding and language skills. I feel it will teach implanted children to speak sooner and to have the understanding of language.

Yes, those are they myths I am referring to. Absurd. I have my own hypothesis about why the CI centers seem so intent on spreading the ancient myths.

Yes, those are they myths I am referring to. Absurd. I have my own hypothesis about why the CI centers seem so intent on spreading the ancient myths.

My hypothesis is the same with the child I posted about previously in this thread. The child I had before. The parents allowed him to sign at first. Then all of a sudden the parent did a 380' Told me to stop signing with him. I was like what in the hell!?? The child was frustrated and started showing behavioral problems. So I started to sign with him. I was the only one there at the center that knew ASL. I was the only one that could "actually communicate with this three year old child. His parents withdrew him because I would not stop signing to him. I respect the parents but I had more respect for that child due to he was missing out so much. The mapping was not even completed. with a child that young does not deserve to miss out on ANYTHING while the brain is able to soak up the language skills.

I'm sure you know as well as I do. The first three years of a child's life is what truly maps a child. Hate to see a child miss out on that.

My hypothesis is the same with the child I posted about previously in this thread. The child I had before. The parents allowed him to sign at first. Then all of a sudden the parent did a 380' Told me to stop signing with him. I was like what in the hell!?? The child was frustrated and started showing behavioral problems. So I started to sign with him. I was the only one there at the center that knew ASL. I was the only one that could "actually communicate with this three year old child. His parents withdrew him because I would not stop signing to him. I respect the parents but I had more respect for that child due to he was missing out so much. The mapping was not even completed. with a child that young does not deserve to miss out on ANYTHING while the brain is able to soak up the language skills.

I'm sure you know as well as I do. The first three years of a child's life is what truly maps a child. Hate to see a child miss out on that.

Oh, absolutely! I think the CI centers promote oral only language as a tool to increase the number of implants done, and in the process, exploit parent's fears. They can't promote ASL, because if effective communication can be achieved with ASL, there is no push for early implantation. Hate to sound like a pessimist, but I've been watching this for some time now, and it is a logical conclusion.

Oh, absolutely! I think the CI centers promote oral only language as a tool to increase the number of implants done, and in the process, exploit parent's fears. They can't promote ASL, because if effective communication can be achieved with ASL, there is no push for early implantation. Hate to sound like a pessimist, but I've been watching this for some time now, and it is a logical conclusion.

I have wonderful communication with my daughter through ASL but I would still advocate early implantation. The longer the brain is without auditory stimulation, the harder it is to learn how to interpret the signal. That is the reason to implant as early as is safe and appropriate.

Only if the CI center would understand that T.C. would benefit the best of both worlds. But they just seem to want implanted children to speak alone with out the tools they need to be effective and productive. ASL is that tool. ASL is what will boost that child's language skills. Not delay it.

If we can do it to boost a hearing child's language skills. Why not an implanted child. I just don't get it!

I have wonderful communication with my daughter through ASL but I would still advocate early implantation. The longer the brain is without auditory stimulation, the harder it is to learn how to interpret the signal. That is the reason to implant as early as is safe and appropriate.

As long as you teach her ASL it will benefit her much more that just an oral only approach.

Back