Talking Glove Interprets Sign Language

This reminds me of the movie, Congo. They made a sign-language interpreting device for Amy, the gorilla in the movie. Whenever she signed, it would voice out what she said.

Interesting.... but I don't think it'll be very effective, since we have to use our face expression to show the real meaning of what we sign. For like, "THAT'S WRONG!!" or "WHAT'S THE MATTER?" (Both phrases are used by the same sign, but face expression is different.) Ya know what I mean? I have a feeling that in the future they'll produce the whole suit for the face, upper chest part, arms, hands, and fingers to pick up the exact phrase the signer want to say. :roll:

Another thing to think about: if a deaf signer sign the word she/he thinks of, but the machine said different and it could be offensive to the listener... and the deaf signer doesn't know because she/he can't hear what the machine said. Ya know what I mean?

Originally posted by ChelEler
Interesting.... but I don't think it'll be very effective, since we have to use our face expression to show the real meaning of what we sign. For like, "THAT'S WRONG!!" or "WHAT'S THE MATTER?" (Both phrases are used by the same sign, but face expression is different.) Ya know what I mean? I have a feeling that in the future they'll produce the whole suit for the face, upper chest part, arms, hands, and fingers to pick up the exact phrase the signer want to say. :roll:

Another thing to think about: if a deaf signer sign the word she/he thinks of, but the machine said different and it could be offensive to the listener... and the deaf signer doesn't know because she/he can't hear what the machine said. Ya know what I mean?

Good Point !! :D

Originally posted by ChelEler

That's true. This device might be good enough for interpreters who are simply interpreting what the speaker is saying. However, I prefer it being done personally... face-to-face. We get more expressions and feelings that way.

Sign Language Glove

WASHINGTON - An electronic glove that can turn American Sign Language gestures into spoken words or text, designed to help the deaf communicate more easily with the hearing world, is under development.

AP Photo

Researcher Jose Hernandez-Rebollar of George Washington University has demonstrated that his "AcceleGlove" can translate the rapid hand movements used to make the alphabet and some of the words and phrases of sign language.

His is not the only such experimental device; the military is exploring similar technology to silently help soldiers in combat. But Hernandez-Rebollar says his invention goes further than others because it also can translate into spoken words and simple sentences some of the more complex arm and body motions of ASL.

The 34-year-old native of Mexico came to Washington through the Fulbright Program, which makes grants for graduate students, teachers and others to study abroad. His field is electrical engineering, and the sensor-studded glove was his doctoral engineering project.

Not deaf himself, Hernandez-Rebollar said his invention was driven by a desire to help others live fuller lives.

"I want to produce something that deaf people can use in everyday life," he said.

According to the National Campaign for Hearing Health, which promotes research and education about hearing loss, 28 million people in the United States have hearing trouble.

More than one-third of the cases are caused at least partly by piled-up exposure to noise from everyday encounters with airplanes, air conditioners, hair dryers, dishwashers, garbage disposals, lawnmowers, auto theft alarms and rock music.

The AcceleGlove is a wearable computer with super-small electronic circuitry. Sensors in the glove work with a micro-controller attached to the wearer's arm, mapping the placement and movement of the arm and fingers. That information is turned into data a computer can read and convert to words heard from a loudspeaker or read on a computer screen.

Deaf parents with hearing children, and vice versa, could find the glove helpful, said Corinne K. Vinopol, who heads the Institute for Disabilities, Research and Training Inc. The commercial laboratory in suburban Wheaton, Md., is where Hernandez-Rebollar has been doing much of his work.

She especially was interested in his work to make his device translate American Sign Language into spoken Spanish as well as English because of the help it could give to immigrant families.

"The small deaf children go to school and learn English and ASL," she said. "The parents go on speaking Spanish. Gradually they lose any means of communication."

But the idea of turning sign language into speech annoys some deaf people who see ASL — used in the United States and English-speaking Canada — as part of their unique culture.

"Some feel that being deaf is not a deficiency," said Andy Lange, president of the National Association of the Deaf. "It's simply another way of life and the deaf should not use artificial means to overcome a loss of hearing."

Other researchers are working on wearable devices for translating movement to sound.

A baseball cap with cameras to capture movement was another experiment. Ryan Patterson, 18, of Grand Junction, Colo., won top honors in the 2001 Siemens Westinghouse Science and Technology competition and in the 2001 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair for his design of a glove that translates hand movements into text on a screen.

Hernandez-Rebollar demonstrated his invention during a recent interview. He wore a right-hand glove and two small armbands, one near his wrist and the other on his upper arm.

His software converted the signs he made with his hand into sound from a small loudspeaker — all in milliseconds. After a few taps on a laptop keyboard, he made standard American Sign Language gestures and the loudspeaker came out with single words — "food," "drink," "restaurant," "father." The words can also appear typed on a screen.

The single glove can make the signs that correspond to all 26 letters of the alphabet, so any word can be spelled out. But this is a slow process.

American Sign Language also includes hundreds of gestures that express single words and simple sentences, but most require two hands. So far the single glove can produce fewer than 200 words that can be signed with the one hand, and a few expressions such as "What's the matter?" and "I'll help you."

Some further testing is needed, Hernandez-Rebollar said. He believes the right hand glove could be manufactured and on the market next year, while a two-handed version with much greater possibilities could be ready in 2005.

He said the device usually is accurate, though the precision declines with complicated movements; for example, words that start with the same hand movement or orientation.

He said the glove could be attached to existing wireless (news - web sites) equipment and used by a squad commander to send hand signals from outside a building to soldiers hiding inside. They would feel the signals as gentle coded vibrations in their chests or typed on a screen.

That is an idea the military has been working on. The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and other federal agencies have given contracts to develop sensor-equipped gloves that would allow soldiers to send silent wireless notes to one another with hand motions.

___

On the Net:

Jose Hernandez-Rebollar: http://home.gwu.edu/jreboll

Video of glove available at http://datacenter.ap.org/wdc/glove/index.html

I think it is cool but somewhat i think it might be arkward for us to use these glove know what i mean ???

Originally posted by VamPyroX
This reminds me of the movie, Congo. They made a sign-language interpreting device for Amy, the gorilla in the movie. Whenever she signed, it would voice out what she said.

Yea that reminds me too. Hmm interesting.

while it's a nice idea, i just think to my opioion, if the parents do not want to movivate themselves in learning signs THEMSELVES without techologies impeding its deaf children or deaf parents who have hearing children as well. I think it s a waste of money and time, considering parents who speak another lanaguage should also movivate themselves to learn sign of thier lanagues, AND not only that i think thier looking for the easy way out. my mom signed to me when i was little and still does when her hands permits her to communicate, right now mom's hands has deterioated to a severe CTS at the moment. So therefore it would prove useless for her to use, as well for myself. we have other methods to learn or communicate with. thats just my thinking. why bulk urself in a glove that will make u think like micheal jacksons famous one hand gloves just to talk to the person themselves. pen and paper will suffice and so will interpters and so will homesigns for those who refuses to learn other methods.

Cool but there is another one about this in "Technologies for the Deaf" that Sabrina made.

Last edited:
ahhhhhhhhhh INTRESTING thoughts seems im not alone in this thinking mode, HEY theres another thread in the current events also and some are also making comments there

MODS can u merge this and make it in either suitable forum sections thanks :)

ICE i don t think ur the moderator to merge any threads.... as im suprised there is a *mod note* saying u had merged it.

Originally posted by javapride
ahhhhhhhhhh INTRESTING thoughts seems im not alone in this thinking mode, HEY theres another thread in the current events also and some are also making comments there

MODS can u merge this and make it in either suitable forum sections thanks :)

ICE i don t think ur the moderator to merge any threads.... as im suprised there is a *mod note* saying u had merged it.
It was me who merged the thread earlier. This thread was made first. Ice made another thread on the same topic. Now, there's a third thread on the same topic. I'm gonna merge that here soon.

Mod Note:

This is the second time I've merged a related thread with this. Please double check before making posts. If it happens once because the original thread was made a long time ago, that's understandable. But, these three were made in less than a day. That's overdoing it. Again, please double check before making threads like this again. Thanks.

Originally posted by VamPyroX
That's true. This device might be good enough for interpreters who are simply interpreting what the speaker is saying. However, I prefer it being done personally... face-to-face. We get more expressions and feelings that way.

Hmm... explain how this would work for an interpreter who's signing to a deaf person... and the gloves will be saying what the interpreter sign... that may interfer the speaker's ability to speak? You kinda lost me here. :confused: Please clarify.

i got email in reference to this and WAS going to make a new thread but noted that it was already posted LOL

i myself think its the MOST STUPIDEST thing ever right behind Cochlear Implants -- and i happen to agree with NAD on what they said abt it --

["Some question whether such a glove would present a setback for the hard of hearing. For years, organizations like the National Association of the Deaf have defended deafness as a unique trait, not a deficiency. It has pushed the hearing world to embrace deaf individuals rather than forcing them to use technology like cochlear implants to accommodate the hearing world.

"Many within the medical profession continue to view deafness essentially as a disability and an abnormality and believe that deaf and hard of hearing individuals need to be 'fixed' by cochlear implants," NAD says on its website. Doctors shouldn't force parents to view deafness as a disease that needs curing, the group says."]

we are NOT a "deficient" kind of ppl -- we are perfectly capable of doing anything -- the only thing we cannot obviously do is hear -- and the hearing "researchers" are making this a big deal qq :roll: oh plueeze

Back