Taking your own earmold impression?

dotcomkari

Reaction score
I am due for some new way over-due ear molds...
and I was told you now can make impressions for your earmolds at home (with a special kit)...:hmm: Has anyone done this? I am told it is way easy to do and doesn't take much time at all. I am just wondering if I should do it? Saves me a few dollars on going in and having to pay for the Audi. to do the impressions for me.

Ive never done it and probably never would, my ears and skin are sensitive as it is, I like getting a product I know I can count on and I know is done right. The extra hassle of making sure everything was done correct is worth the money I pay.

I am due for some new way over-due ear molds...
and I was told you now can make impressions for your earmolds at home (with a special kit)...:hmm: Has anyone done this? I am told it is way easy to do and doesn't take much time at all. I am just wondering if I should do it? Saves me a few dollars on going in and having to pay for the Audi. to do the impressions for me.

a "few" dollars? lol more like big dollars if you got it wrong.

here's a cheap fix, you can take an earmold from your other hearing aids and attach it to your current aids
it always works for me.

I never heard about it but I think it's a great idea, especially for people who don't live near an audiologist.

I would bet that realistically, a trusted friend or relative with a steady hand probably does the impression -- not one's self.

Do you have a link dotcomkari?

I never heard about it but I think it's a great idea, especially for people who don't live near an audiologist.

I would bet that realistically, a trusted friend or relative with a steady hand probably does the impression -- not one's self.

Do you have a link dotcomkari?

yeah LOL, it's always works for me, for everyone

I always get mine done professionally - the difference isn't enough to make it worth risking messing it up (and if my Aud's mould doesn't fit correctly they redo it for me for free)

One tip, when you go to your Audie to get new moulds made ask them if they charge for the impressions (I found most don't).

If they do charge more than a small fee, tell them that you want the impression mould returned with your new HA moulds ... that way when you need a new ear mould (from wear & tear/age) then you can send that impression in and have them just remake the new HA moulds off of those same impressions.

Honestly, for the extra service (free tubing, check ups etc) and help I get from my Audies, I'd rather continue to get my moulds done directly through them instead of trying to save a few bucks a year on "make your own moulds". The other concern I'd have would be the quality and warranty (ie if they break/split etc) of going through a discount place.

For me, having very comfortable (& properly made, including a custom length it goes into my ear canal) is very very important and makes a huge difference on how much I wear my HA and how well I'm able to hear/understand what I hear.

If you decide to try it yourself, good luck, however honestly I wouldn't do it.

I think I'll stick with having my audie making the earmold impressions.

I would rather pay my audi to make the impressions so sometimes when they are not right i dont have to pay again

I always get mine done professionally - the difference isn't enough to make it worth risking messing it up (and if my Aud's mould doesn't fit correctly they redo it for me for free)

One tip, when you go to your Audie to get new moulds made ask them if they charge for the impressions (I found most don't).

If they do charge more than a small fee, tell them that you want the impression mould returned with your new HA moulds ... that way when you need a new ear mould (from wear & tear/age) then you can send that impression in and have them just remake the new HA moulds off of those same impressions.

Honestly, for the extra service (free tubing, check ups etc) and help I get from my Audies, I'd rather continue to get my moulds done directly through them instead of trying to save a few bucks a year on "make your own moulds". The other concern I'd have would be the quality and warranty (ie if they break/split etc) of going through a discount place.

For me, having very comfortable (& properly made, including a custom length it goes into my ear canal) is very very important and makes a huge difference on how much I wear my HA and how well I'm able to hear/understand what I hear.

If you decide to try it yourself, good luck, however honestly I wouldn't do it.

Nice tip regarding the impressions.

Nice tip regarding the impressions.

Having worn hearing aids for 50 yrs, the only problem with that is that subsequent impressions are slightly larger than the previous, depending on how old they are; therefore causing feedback if you make a new mold off a 5 yr old impression, say......

Having worn hearing aids for 50 yrs, the only problem with that is that subsequent impressions are slightly larger than the previous, depending on how old they are; therefore causing feedback if you make a new mold off a 5 yr old impression, say......

ahha

I agree. Ears change over the years.

I once tried the do-it-yourself and it wasn't great.

So I've just stuck with my audi for the earmolds. I find I don't have to change them that often, it is the tubing that needs changing every few months, and I do THAT myself.

I agree. Ears change over the years.

I once tried the do-it-yourself and it wasn't great.

So I've just stuck with my audi for the earmolds. I find I don't have to change them that often, it is the tubing that needs changing every few months, and I do THAT myself.

Yeah, on the tubing. My person doesn't charge for something like that.

My Audi doesn't either, but she's a 30 minute drive. I buy the tubing and do right in the convenience of my own bathroom :)

My Audi doesn't either, but she's a 30 minute drive. I buy the tubing and do right in the convenience of my own bathroom :)

I'm curious; is it just any ole' tubing or is it specialized and of better quality(like medical equipment is)than the stuff bought in craft stores or wherever? Do you order it online and if not, where do you get it?

You can ask your audie for the earmold tubes, or order them from here: Online Catalog. I usually get some from my audie, she doesn't charge me for them.

I'm curious; is it just any ole' tubing or is it specialized and of better quality(like medical equipment is)than the stuff bought in craft stores or wherever? Do you order it online and if not, where do you get it?

I think its specialized tubing. Hearing aid tubing also usually has the bend already in the tube. In the old days you had to take a bic light and melt it in yourself (or your audi) did it. Most audis will give you extra tubing if you ask for it. I would keep it in an air tight bag to help prevent it from getting stiff. The tube can still get stiff even lying in a drawer.

Stiff tubes make the acoustics worse, so you want to try to avoid that.

The hearing aid tubing width varies upon your hearing loss. Also your audi may have opted to use a Libby tube (almost as good as the Pacific Coast CFA tube -- but still has the shortcomings of glueing in the tubes and the negative effects it has on reducing the amount of high frequencies you get over time).

I recommend googling "Brad Ingrao" (an excellant audiologist) and "hearing aid tubes" and also "Brad Ingrao" and "hearing aid ear molds". Lots of good info.

Here's one on hearing aid tubes:
Brad Ingrao Articles

I get mine online through Microsonic. There actually are variations in thickness of tubing and, for the more db loss there is, the thicker the tube should be, to prevent feedback. Microsonic is unbelievably reasonable. You can order as few as 1 to as however many you want. I posted a link to all this somewhere else, I don't know where it is! :)

I get mine online through Microsonic. There actually are variations in thickness of tubing and, for the more db loss there is, the thicker the tube should be, to prevent feedback. Microsonic is unbelievably reasonable. You can order as few as 1 to as however many you want. I posted a link to all this somewhere else, I don't know where it is! :)

Microsonic, Inc. - Earmold Tubing, Accessories & Supplies

Here it is. I love that store.

Back