Systems for Writing ASL

smartygirl05

Reaction score
I am doing a project for class and wanted to know peoples opinions about the different systems that have been tried out fo ASL or how do you feel about ASL not really being able to be translated fully into English. Just an idea or information you know on this topic at all. Thank you I would really appreciate it.

ASL can be translated into English...that's what interpreters do.

I think the writing systems got phased out when DVDs became cheap to burn videos with.

Plus with videophones, and recorded digital files... there's no real need for a writing system... yet.

ASL doesnt and will not have a written form.

ASL doesnt and will not have a written form.

Not completely true. It can be glossed out in written form. Yes it is not like how we write in English, but it is a written version of ASL. Really it is only ever used in an ASL Linguistics course to help specify signs and explain locations,NMM, etc -- but IT IS A BIG PAIN in the butt to do. it is annoyingly tedious

Not completely true. It can be glossed out in written form. Yes it is not like how we write in English, but it is a written version of ASL. Really it is only ever used in an ASL Linguistics course to help specify signs and explain locations,NMM, etc -- but IT IS A BIG PAIN in the butt to do. it is annoyingly tedious

Then what do you do for the movement part?

I took grad level courses in Linguistics at Gallaudet University and it was empasized that there were many attempts to gloss ASL or get it in the written form but one of the components was always missing.

I took grad level courses in Linguistics at Gallaudet University and it was empasized that there were many attempts to gloss ASL or get it in the written form but one of the components was always missing.

Oh Gallaudet--I'm jealous!! I could never afford to go there if I tried. I'm so jealous!

So any way when glossing movement there are symbols that are written that signify the motion of the sign. For example, ^ is an upward movement (vertical) whereas one facing down (idk how to make one) is a down motion vertically. N is up and down. They have lots, but like I said I have only ever seen them used in Linguistics classes when you have to gloss out something and then sign it. then for the handshape they just name the shape so for example when glossing the sign "high" it is written H ^

Most of the glossing comes from Stokoe's dictionary glossing ASL, but Colorado has a whole course on it that my interpreting teacher took. In her class they wrote out the signed sentences with english words in object first grammar and then used stokoe's symbols above the words to describe it.

It is all way too confusing to ever use daily. Sucks that natural signers have to convert their grammar to write in english- i bet it is a pain.

I forgot to say, your right about the certain components always missing. I don't think they could ever clarify every movement, nnm, and space use in a gloss

I forgot to say, your right about the certain components always missing. I don't think they could ever clarify every movement, nnm, and space use in a gloss

That's why for ASL to be in "writing" , videos are needed. I did go to a workshop for ASL glossing to teach deaf children read and write but it just ened up confusing them even more. Just have them read straight out English or whatever the native spoken language is at their countries.

That's why for ASL to be in "writing" , videos are needed. I did go to a workshop for ASL glossing to teach deaf children read and write but it just ened up confusing them even more. Just have them read straight out English or whatever the native spoken language is at their countries.

I agree! I was thinking about it the other day cause my ASL teacher was talking about how some deaf kids were having a hard time understanding past present and future tenses in english class-it would be so much better if instead of them going into an english class, they went into an ASL class that taught english--they have to go from their known language to the unknown. Its ridiculous to place a deaf child in an english class, since that is not their native/nautral language.

I agree! I was thinking about it the other day cause my ASL teacher was talking about how some deaf kids were having a hard time understanding past present and future tenses in english class-it would be so much better if instead of them going into an english class, they went into an ASL class that taught english--they have to go from their known language to the unknown. Its ridiculous to place a deaf child in an english class, since that is not their native/nautral language.

I agree..I am a teacher in a bilingual/bicultural program for deaf children. :)

I LOVE BiBi! Your making a difference then!

Oh I am passionate about it and I have gotten into very very heated arguments with other ADers here in the past 4 years about it. Boy, u can look in the archives in the Deaf education subforums. LOL!

Oh I am passionate about it and I have gotten into very very heated arguments with other ADers here in the past 4 years about it. Boy, u can look in the archives in the Deaf education subforums. LOL!

lol. Well your just passionate! That is great! I am totally gonna check it out.

What is the purpose for sign writing? If there was written ASL globally then I would teach it but there is not so I prefer to teach my students to read and write English, not ASL.

Back