Surveillance video camera for our home advice?

webexplorer

Reaction score
I think that we should get a surveillance video security camera for our home. I am not exact sure which one that would work with iMac and how to connect it to the video camera.

Let's say that I need three security cameras for outside front house, back house, and in the basement.

The questions are:

Do we need a video encoder or an ethernet switcher for multi-cameras?

Is it possible to use an iMac to connect to multi-cameras using an ethernet switcher instead of IP video (for internet)?

I'm tired of back and forth waiting for someone to show up at the door/driveway or the UPS agent drops off the package.

I think that it would be great for us to have one for our home.

SecuritySpy is a multi-camera video surveillance app.

With features such as motion detection, real-time compression and network video streaming, SecuritySpy has everything required for demanding video surveillance applications. Combined with Mac OS X, the rock-solid operating system from Apple, SecuritySpy offers unsurpassed speed, stability and ease of use.

Download SecuritySpy for Mac - Multi-camera video surveillance app. MacUpdate.com

SecuritySpy multi-camera video surveillance monitoring and recording for the Mac - 8 camera license, SS-CAM8

Before installing the Security camera, you may want to check with zoning code. If it's allowed, then you may want to read the rules about setting up the camera. For example: You have to be sure that the camera is not pointing to next door neighbor or across their property line. They can easily give you a law suit for what called "invasion of privacy" or other term "voyeurism". So you have to make sure that your camera are within your property.

Now as far as security camera goes... many of camera support MAC, you may want to see this:

SKJM - iCam

This work with icam and any kind of webcam and it allow to view 4 camera at the same time. It's nice one.

I use to my Logitech Alert security camera. Just plug in power outlet and easy install without cables. It worked thur my android device and iphone4, too. But, It's for windows PC only as like command control in PC and not support iMac.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9x8Ds0dYg]New Logitech Alert Video Security System - YouTube[/ame]

Simple video:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV35bvDkUhQ]Logitech Alert Outdoor Camera 700e - YouTube[/ame]

Wow, I like the comments from you guys. You are ahead of my time. Bummer.

Do all the security cameras have an ethernet port?

Well, I have a First Alert camera (Model P-520), and it has 100 ft. A/V Cable. I realized that my iMac has an ethernet, Firewire, and USB. My iMac cannot connect the P-520 because of the cable wire. Is there compatible with a special adaptor for iMac?

Another subject, I have a 5-port switcher box. Will I able to plug three security cameras on the switcher box? The switcher box probably work with a 5-port router box. I will have to buy two more cameras someday.

Can you help me more information?

Before installing the Security camera, you may want to check with zoning code. If it's allowed, then you may want to read the rules about setting up the camera. For example: You have to be sure that the camera is not pointing to next door neighbor or across their property line. They can easily give you a law suit for what called "invasion of privacy" or other term "voyeurism". So you have to make sure that your camera are within your property.

Now as far as security camera goes... many of camera support MAC, you may want to see this:

SKJM - iCam

This work with icam and any kind of webcam and it allow to view 4 camera at the same time. It's nice one.

That is interesting. I never thought of illegal thing.

I really bet that authorized employees (i.e. duty-off police, duty-off lawyers) are also the peepers using the government's advanced wireless receivers to collect the videos in the airwaves without invading someone's device wireless's access in the air. That is the one we blame is uneducated George Bush Jr's passed law. Yikes.

Wow, I like the comments from you guys. You are ahead of my time. Bummer.

Do all the security cameras have an ethernet port?

Well, I have a First Alert camera (Model P-520), and it has 100 ft. A/V Cable. I realized that my iMac has an ethernet, Firewire, and USB. My iMac cannot connect the P-520 because of the cable wire. Is there compatible with a special adaptor for iMac?

Another subject, I have a 5-port switcher box. Will I able to plug three security cameras on the switcher box? The switcher box probably work with a 5-port router box. I will have to buy two more cameras someday.

Can you help me more information?

You can got 3-RCA Female audio/video to USB 2.0 male aux adapter.

What is model name and number of your 5-port switcher box?

You can got 3-RCA Female audio/video to USB 2.0 male aux adapter.

What is model name and number of your 5-port switcher box?

I have a D-Link Gigabit Switch DGS-2208. I also use a D-Link, DL-4100 router. Is that a good enough?

That is interesting. I never thought of illegal thing.

I really bet that authorized employees (i.e. duty-off police, duty-off lawyers) are also the peepers using the government's advanced wireless receivers to collect the videos in the airwaves without invading someone's device wireless's access in the air. That is the one we blame is uneducated George Bush Jr's passed law. Yikes.

Yeah. I just happen to look up your security camera with your model and I just happen to noticed this message...

"Caution! Some federal, state and local laws prohibit certain surveillance activities and/or the use or distribution of the information obtained from such activities. Prior to using this system, you should become familiar with the pertinent laws to ensure compliance with those applicable to surveillance activities."

Same thing what I said above... I heard many stories from police forces and I learn from them about laws and such...

I'm sure your area is fine...but just to be sure if it is ok. Where I live, I check with city code and they said I'm fine with it.

So I have 2 security cameras, one in front entrance and one out back. I use iCam on my iPHone 4 and it will alert me when someone walk up to front door, before ringing a door bell. When I first installed, I keep getting an alerts where deer passed by, fox, rabit and all that craps! So I had to re-adjust the camera to point more downward, toward the concrete steps...and now that was much better. LOL

Back