itsmezali

Reaction score
So I work in retail and ever since I’ve been learning BSL (from my Deaf coworker) I’ve gotten to know her friends and people in the area who are D/deaf or HoH. I have also signed to two other D/deaf customers in the store who my coworker doesn’t know and they were both really shocked that I was able to ask how they were and if they needed a bag and I was just wondering the last time any of you guys were shocked by a hearing person signing to you or if it’s ever happened at all! Thanks!

Oh yeah. A couple weeks ago I had an appointment with a doctor, and an interpreter showed up. At the intake unit, the receptionist signed fluently to me, and the interpreter was bemused. She just sat there and watched. In the doctor's office, another receptionist also was fluent in Sign Language, and it made my interpreter smile. The doctor had an intern with him who also could sign, and the interpreter laughed.
Must be something in the air. :)

I was asking Beowulf if he asked about all those people knowing sign. If he ever asked them how knew sign language? It's odd to meet so many people that sign.

I do sometimes ask that question depending on how much time i have or if there isn't a busy line of people behind me. It is a good way to start a conversation.

Sometimes people will ask "why do you know sign?" instead of "where did you learn" which some hearing react negatively as if they shouldn't be signing. I've seen people do that and make the person not feel good.

I love it when I get a surprise signing moment and happy that it happens a lot more often lately. The lady at the motor vehicle department signed fairly well when I needed to renew my license. Very cool

I do sometimes ask that question depending on how much time i have or if there isn't a busy line of people behind me. It is a good way to start a conversation.

Sometimes people will ask "why do you know sign?" instead of "where did you learn" which some hearing react negatively as if they shouldn't be signing. I've seen people do that and make the person not feel good.

I love it when I get a surprise signing moment and happy that it happens a lot more often lately. The lady at the motor vehicle department signed fairly well when I needed to renew my license. Very cool

I think this question could well be a way of asking "why did you get a chance to get to know sign?". Or "what happened that resulted in you finding out about a way to learn sign".

Back