Super power HA/CI. question

C-NICE

Reaction score
I know HAs & CIs work completely differently but my question is as a general rule are Super Power HAs the last resort before CIs?

I guess that depends on what you want out of your HAs. If volume is what you want, then high powered would be the way to go. If clarity is what you want, and your db loss prevents that with HAs, then you will not likely get that. I have one of the best high-powered HAs on the market, the ReSound Enzo’s, and my goodness, the amount of power is incredible. The volume is top-notch, I only use half of what I have available and it’s STILL more than enough; the speech clarity is better than my previous HAs, but still lacking a good bit. I do have a 120 loss.

CI qualification is determined on best aided speech discrimination. Guess it’s up to the Audiologist to know if you have the best aids for your hearing loss.
I had Phonak Naidas, the best power aids at the time, for 6 years till they no longer provided me the hearing I needed/wanted. I now have bilateral CIs.

the most powerful hearing aid would have never been useful for my left ear, would still have gotten absolutely nothing; a CI works but I know I won't get beyond maybe 65/70% comprehension with left CI alone (but I'm happy with the results I get for the left ear with CI, as compared to absolute nothingness with a HA). I had the Naida UP (UltraPower) for my right ear before I got that ear implanted.

I know HAs & CIs work completely differently but my question is as a general rule are Super Power HAs the last resort before CIs?

Same question that I have. I'm down to one ear, in which I'm wearing a Starkey Halo i70 RIC, with a higher powered ear piece. I'm maxed out on this aid, but hopeful that there is something more powerful. I feel as if more volume in my one ear would get my by awhile longer before having to look into CI's.

I'm hoping that by reading through posts here I can get a better understanding of how people transition from HA's to CI's, and when it's time to do that. What I don't want is to move to a CI and then discover that I had been better off with the HA. I

Same question that I have. I'm down to one ear, in which I'm wearing a Starkey Halo i70 RIC, with a higher powered ear piece. I'm maxed out on this aid, but hopeful that there is something more powerful. I feel as if more volume in my one ear would get my by awhile longer before having to look into CI's.

I'm hoping that by reading through posts here I can get a better understanding of how people transition from HA's to CI's, and when it's time to do that. What I don't want is to move to a CI and then discover that I had been better off with the HA. I

Your audi would be the one to ask about when it's time to do that. You would need to find a CI audi. If you don't know of one, your current audi might be able to direct you to one. A CI audi would qualify (or disqualify, for that matter) you for a CI. Here is a link for one in Indiana:

https://www.indianaear.com/cochlear-implants

In the meantime, even more powerful HAs may be available for you than what you currently have.

As far as whether you would have been better off with a HA rather than a CI, I guess that question can only be answered by you and a CI audi. I was qualified for them, but I ended up electing not to get them. My situation is different from yours in that I'm prelinguistically deaf, rather than late onset as you are. I am so in love with my ReSound Enzo super-duper HAs that I don't regret my choice to stick with HAs. I can always reconsider later, although it's unlikely I would, but that's something for you to think about too - it isn't something you must do RIGHT NOW even if you qualify.

Thanks AlleyCat. I'm sort of on the page as seeing the CI as a last resort, and so long as I can get by on HA's, I will. I'm due for a visit with my audi anyway. He's always been big on Starkey, but I may press him on other manufacturers as well.

Thanks for the IndianaEar link. Oddly, that particular Dr. (Disher) was my ENT dr. 20 years ago when I was first going through the early stages of my hearing loss. He was with another group at the time.

the most powerful hearing aid would have never been useful for my left ear, would still have gotten absolutely nothing; a CI works but I know I won't get beyond maybe 65/70% comprehension with left CI alone (but I'm happy with the results I get for the left ear with CI, as compared to absolute nothingness with a HA). I had the Naida UP (UltraPower) for my right ear before I got that ear implanted.

Your current hearing aid is not a power hearing aid. Between all the models of Halo hearing aids none have a peak gain higher than 65-70dB.
I wore a truly maxed out Naida UP that’s had a peak gain of 86dB.
You need to see an audiologist and try hearing aids with real power.

Your current hearing aid is not a power hearing aid. Between all the models of Halo hearing aids none have a peak gain higher than 65-70dB.
I wore a truly maxed out Naida UP that’s had a peak gain of 86dB.
You need to see an audiologist and try hearing aids with real power.

Thanks. I plan to do that soon. I'm actually going in for an MRI today ordered by the ENT, just to make sure there's nothing there specifically causing the sudden left ear loss. Barring nothing showing up there I'm going to see my audiologist to discuss options. On the bright side, I'll only have to buy one aid this time. :neutral:

I have one HA and for me Beltone worked the best, I have Phonak for almost 2-3 years now and now... they are not doing nothing for me as sound goes. They told me it is supposed to be waterproof, who are they kidding here?? LOL
Anywho I think I need to go back to Beltone HA.

Anyone else think beltone are better or do you like the new HA they have out today? Just curious

Anyhow I think I need to go back to Beltone HA.

Anyone else think beltone are better or do you like the new HA they have out today? Just curious
I've never had Beltone, so I can't compare. I so love my ReSound Enzo's. I can't stop gushing about them. :)

I've never had Beltone, so I can't compare. I so love my ReSound Enzo's. I can't stop gushing about them. :)
They look similar but with different color and style. The Phonak I have now, the sounds are not loud enough for me, I am having a hard time hearing, I think Beltone might be a better option for me personally.

Never had a Beltone.. I think. I know there were a few other "brands" through my years but mostly Oticon, 1 pair of Phonak and 1 pair of Widex. Back to Oticon.

Widex and Oticons were the two best for me. I just wish they'd stop making them so ridiculously small....

I didn't know they had different kinds of hearing aids? I knew they had other brands too, but what you guys mention, I have never heard of it.

Isn't Beltone more or less a branding of ReSound? That is, they're basically ReSound aids marketed via a captive network of dealers under the name Beltone. The same way that Siemens markets Miracle Ear, and Starkey markets Nu-Ear.

Isn't Beltone more or less a branding of ReSound? That is, they're basically ReSound aids marketed via a captive network of dealers under the name Beltone. The same way that Siemens markets Miracle Ear, and Starkey markets Nu-Ear.

Yes according to this article, Beltone is actually a subsidiary of GN Resound... but I don't think they're "basically ReSound aids marketed" under the Beltone name. Feels like Beltone is still a wholly separate company... just an "arm" or subsidiary of ReSound.

https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-aids/articles/top-6-most-reputable-hearing-aid-brands/

Yes according to this article, Beltone is actually a subsidiary of GN Resound... but I don't think they're "basically ReSound aids marketed" under the Beltone name. Feels like Beltone is still a wholly separate company... just an "arm" or subsidiary of ReSound.

https://www.everydayhearing.com/hearing-aids/articles/top-6-most-reputable-hearing-aid-brands/
Thanks for the link, very interesting.

I had Beltone for years!!!! and that one for me is louder than what I have now. Strange how Beltone is its own company. I didn't know that.

I guess that depends on what you want out of your HAs. If volume is what you want, then high powered would be the way to go. If clarity is what you want, and your db loss prevents that with HAs, then you will not likely get that. I have one of the best high-powered HAs on the market, the ReSound Enzo’s, and my goodness, the amount of power is incredible. The volume is top-notch, I only use half of what I have available and it’s STILL more than enough; the speech clarity is better than my previous HAs, but still lacking a good bit. I do have a 120 loss.

It was great to read this! My hearing had gotten progressively worse not 100 and 110 but I just ordered these aids today as an upgrade from the LiNX 2. I’m excited for what’s to come. Thanks!

Back