Super power HA/CI. question

C-NICE

I know HAs & CIs work completely differently but my question is as a general rule are Super Power HAs the last resort before CIs?

AlleyCat

I guess that depends on what you want out of your HAs. If volume is what you want, then high powered would be the way to go. If clarity is what you want, and your db loss prevents that with HAs, then you will not likely get that. I have one of the best high-powered HAs on the market, the ReSound Enzo’s, and my goodness, the amount of power is incredible. The volume is top-notch, I only use half of what I have available and it’s STILL more than enough; the speech clarity is better than my previous HAs, but still lacking a good bit. I do have a 120 loss.

LoveBlue

CI qualification is determined on best aided speech discrimination. Guess it’s up to the Audiologist to know if you have the best aids for your hearing loss.
I had Phonak Naidas, the best power aids at the time, for 6 years till they no longer provided me the hearing I needed/wanted. I now have bilateral CIs.

cdmeggers

the most powerful hearing aid would have never been useful for my left ear, would still have gotten absolutely nothing; a CI works but I know I won't get beyond maybe 65/70% comprehension with left CI alone (but I'm happy with the results I get for the left ear with CI, as compared to absolute nothingness with a HA). I had the Naida UP (UltraPower) for my right ear before I got that ear implanted.

I know HAs & CIs work completely differently but my question is as a general rule are Super Power HAs the last resort before CIs?
Same question that I have. I'm down to one ear, in which I'm wearing a Starkey Halo i70 RIC, with a higher powered ear piece. I'm maxed out on this aid, but hopeful that there is something more powerful. I feel as if more volume in my one ear would get my by awhile longer before having to look into CI's.

I'm hoping that by reading through posts here I can get a better understanding of how people transition from HA's to CI's, and when it's time to do that. What I don't want is to move to a CI and then discover that I had been better off with the HA. I

AlleyCat

Same question that I have. I'm down to one ear, in which I'm wearing a Starkey Halo i70 RIC, with a higher powered ear piece. I'm maxed out on this aid, but hopeful that there is something more powerful. I feel as if more volume in my one ear would get my by awhile longer before having to look into CI's.

I'm hoping that by reading through posts here I can get a better understanding of how people transition from HA's to CI's, and when it's time to do that. What I don't want is to move to a CI and then discover that I had been better off with the HA. I
Your audi would be the one to ask about when it's time to do that. You would need to find a CI audi. If you don't know of one, your current audi might be able to direct you to one. A CI audi would qualify (or disqualify, for that matter) you for a CI. Here is a link for one in Indiana:

https://www.indianaear.com/cochlear-implants

In the meantime, even more powerful HAs may be available for you than what you currently have.

As far as whether you would have been better off with a HA rather than a CI, I guess that question can only be answered by you and a CI audi. I was qualified for them, but I ended up electing not to get them. My situation is different from yours in that I'm prelinguistically deaf, rather than late onset as you are. I am so in love with my ReSound Enzo super-duper HAs that I don't regret my choice to stick with HAs. I can always reconsider later, although it's unlikely I would, but that's something for you to think about too - it isn't something you must do RIGHT NOW even if you qualify.

Thanks AlleyCat. I'm sort of on the page as seeing the CI as a last resort, and so long as I can get by on HA's, I will. I'm due for a visit with my audi anyway. He's always been big on Starkey, but I may press him on other manufacturers as well.

Thanks for the IndianaEar link. Oddly, that particular Dr. (Disher) was my ENT dr. 20 years ago when I was first going through the early stages of my hearing loss. He was with another group at the time.

Communication Software for Deaf Hard of Hearing - NexTalk