Sulfur/Sulfa Allergy

Hear Again

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

When I was hospitalized 3 years ago I was given Bactrim for an infection.

As a result, I developed a rash, redness and itchy skin.

I was given a combination of Benadryl and Zyrtec to treat it and it was noted on my record that I had an allergy to sulfa.

I wanted to clarify that I was not aware of this allergy until reading my medical records from back then.

Is this something I should make my GP and other doctors aware of?

I don't know anything about this kind of allergy, so any information you can provide would be helpful -- especially if you have this kind of allergy yourself. :ty:

Hi everyone,

I was given a combination of Benadryl and Zyrtec to treat it and it was noted on my record that I had an allergy to sulfa.

I wanted to clarify that I was not aware of this allergy until reading my medical records from back then.

I don't know anything about this kind of allergy, so any information you can provide would be helpful -- especially if you have this kind of allergy yourself. :ty:

I am not allergic to bactrim, per se, but I had a very bad reaction to it and can't take it. I also found out thru my Mom that I have had a similiar reaction to other meds in the same class (sulfa drugs), so I can't take any of them. As a rule, you should mention this to your doctor due to the fact that if you're allergic to one drug in that class, you *may* be allergic to other drugs in the same class. They will make a note of it in your medical file.

Incidently, the reaction I have to sulfa drugs is that they make me violently ill.

I hope this helps.

Hi everyone,

I don't understand why you take these pills for your allergy. A cream would be a good way to start with.

I had a skin rash. The medicines that I had were Peaceful Mountain - Eczederm Rescue (natural topical cream), Topicort Desoximetasone Cream, and Betamethasone Dipropinate cream. Starting with Eczederm Rescue to see whether any improvement - from a health food store.

What kind of infection that you had in the hospital?

I am not allergic to bactrim, per se, but I had a very bad reaction to it and can't take it. I also found out thru my Mom that I have had a similiar reaction to other meds in the same class (sulfa drugs), so I can't take any of them. As a rule, you should mention this to your doctor due to the fact that if you're allergic to one drug in that class, you *may* be allergic to other drugs in the same class. They will make a note of it in your medical file.

Incidently, the reaction I have to sulfa drugs is that they make me violently ill.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Ocean.

I decided to call my GP and psychiatrist's nurse. Both of them told me it was a good thing that I informed them of this because the next time I am given this med (or class of meds), the reaction I have could be more severe (i.e. throat closing up) or fatal.

I've also alerted my CI surgeon just in case he needs to be aware as well.

I'm glad I read my medical records from 2006 because if I didn't, I would not have been aware of the fact that I have this allergy.

:ty: again. :)

I don't understand why you take these pills for your allergy. A cream would be a good way to start with.

I had a skin rash. The medicines that I had were Peaceful Mountain - Eczederm Rescue (natural topical cream), Topicort Desoximetasone Cream, and Betamethasone Dipropinate cream. Starting with Eczederm Rescue to see whether any improvement - from a health food store.

What kind of infection that you had in the hospital?

Because homeopathic cures don't work for everyone.

Thank you Ocean.

I decided to call my GP and psychiatrist's nurse. Both of them told me it was a good thing that I informed them of this because the next time I am given this med (or class of meds), the reaction I have could be more severe (i.e. throat closing up) or fatal.

I'm glad I read my medical records from 2006 because if I didn't, I would not have been aware of the fact that I have this allergy.

Exactly. Glad I could help. :) As I said, I don't think I'm allergic, but I do get very sick with these meds, so doctor's just avoid this class of anti infectives with me.

I was in an inpatient setting where I was in a great deal of distress, so the attending psychiatrist's immediate concern was relieving the rash, redness and itchy skin so he could then deal with the other issues I was having. My reaction to Bactrim occurred moments after this med was given to me.

Exactly. Glad I could help. :) As I said, I don't think I'm allergic, but I do get very sick with these meds, so doctor's just avoid this class of anti infectives with me.

That's a smart idea on their part. I see no reason for you to become severely ill if it can be avoided.

I also cannot use homeopathic remedies due to the meds I take. My psychiatrist (as you said) indicated that they usually don't work and can cause negative interactions with psychotropic meds.

I also cannot use homeopathic remedies due to the meds I take. My psychiatrist (as you said) indicated that they usually don't work and can cause negative interactions with psychotropic meds.

In fact, that is not true. All homeopathic has no side effect. Most psychiatrists didn't tell you that because it's their job to be in the business. But, you don't have to take homeopathic - just for your information.

Thank you Ocean.

Okay. I respect you for your info.

In reality, sometimes, you still have to remind them that you are allergic to something. Many nurses are still not doing a good job even they read the patient's papers because they read so many pages and talk to their patients every single day. You still have to do your job is to tell them again no matter what when you see a doctor and nurse. It's your safety. I had seen many nurses doing easy wrong things. It's best for your nurse to talk back to you to make sure that the information is correct. It is usually not a good idea for any of us to confidence our doctor or nurse. One tiny mistake makes a big huge problem.

Okay. I respect you for your info.

In reality, sometimes, you still have to remind them that you are allergic to something. Many nurses are still not doing a good job even they read the patient's papers because they read so many pages and talk to their patients every single day. You still have to do your job is to tell them again no matter what when you see a doctor and nurse. It's your safety. I had seen many nurses doing easy wrong things. It's best for your nurse to talk back to you to make sure that the information is correct. It is usually not a good idea for any of us to confidence our doctor or nurse. One tiny mistake makes a big huge problem.

I agree.

My GP's nurse asks her patients at every appointment if they have any known allergies. Since I did not know about my sulfa allergy until yesterday when I read my medical report, I could not inform my GP of this until today.

However, I will be sure to remind her at every doctor appointment I attend.

In fact, that is not true. All homeopathic has no side effect. Most psychiatrists didn't tell you that because it's their job to be in the business. But, you don't have to take homeopathic - just for your information.

I've been taking psychotropic meds since 1991 and am well aware of the fact that homeopathic treatments can and do interfere with them. Please do not tell me any differently because my psychiatrist knows more about this than you do. I don't mean any disrespect, but I trust his opinion over yours.

My psychiatrist doesn't push pills. He always puts his patients on the lowest number of meds and dosages possible.

Keep in mind that I have a serious lifelong medical condition (bipolar disorder) that requires meds in order for it to be controlled. Without meds, I face a 15-20% risk of committing suicide, so please do not tell me that my psychiatrist is trying to give me meds I don't need. :ty:

I've been taking psychotropic meds since 1991 and am well aware of the fact that homeopathic treatments can and do interfere with them. Please do not tell me any differently because my psychiatrist knows more about this than you do. I don't mean any disrespect, but I trust his opinion over yours.

My psychiatrist doesn't push pills. He always puts his patients on the lowest number of meds and dosages possible.

Keep in mind that I have a serious lifelong medical condition (bipolar disorder) that requires meds in order for it to be controlled. Without meds, I face a 15-20% risk of committing suicide, so please do not tell me that my psychiatrist is trying to give me meds I don't need. :ty:

As long as your medicines help you to feel comfortable which is really important to you. I am aware that I have read some of your posts in other threads. No problem. Thankful that many of us have some medicines that help us to feel better in many ways.

It IS true. Side effects are one thing, but drug interactions are also of concern. Herbal remedies can interact with herbals and cause great harm. Therefore, its not advisable to mix them.

It IS true. Side effects are one thing, but drug interactions are also of concern. Herbal remedies can interact with herbals and cause great harm. Therefore, its not advisable to mix them.

Yes. But, homeopathy and herbs are not the same. Herbs interfere with the modern medicines. Homeopathic is slower in the process of healing that do not harm the modern medicine, AND the modern medicine can beat homeopathic pellets in the body. That's why the FDA approved it.

Herb is just like a wild and not specific dose, and it does not mean that it is bad because Chinese have been using the herbs for centuries. Many American modern doctors have been taking away them by not telling them about alternative medicine information. In the reality, some doctors use the medicine herbs at home. Off the topic, unrelated this issue, many doctors buy the modern medicines by investing their money in stocks - I mean the stock market. This is how they makes extra money. This does not mean that the doctors are bad, but in a way they are just greedy for money.

I do believe in balance between the modern, herb, and homeopathy medicines.

For general example, take a friendly weak pill (homeopathy). If the homeopathy is not working, then try the herb. If the herb is not working, then try a modern medicine as last resort. A modern medicine is stronger and faster to "invade" the body in the war directly that probably destroy both good and bad cells that may weaken immunity system slowly. Sorry, this is dull information. That's the way it works.

If you believe a doctor, that is your choice. I am not saying that both modern medicine and alternative medicine are bad. It depends on your health condition.

I think I told her that St. John's Wort that might help her, but that is part of herb that could interact her medicine so it is probably not worth for her to take the herb. Unless she does not have any medicine, then it might be a possible. I prefer for her to make her own decision to ask her doctor or maybe a naturopathic doctor. (I heard someone that a Medicare can cover a nauropathic doctor, and I find that hard to believe.)

This makes me think that we are talking about abortion and anti-abortion here, but it is ideal of what we are talking about the medicines.

Yes. But, homeopathy and herbs are not the same. Herbs interfere with the modern medicines. Homeopathic is slower in the process of healing that do not harm the modern medicine, AND the modern medicine can beat homeopathic pellets in the body. That's why the FDA approved it.

Herb is just like a wild and not specific dose, and it does not mean that it is bad because Chinese have been using the herbs for centuries. Many American modern doctors have been taking away them by not telling them about alternative medicine information. In the reality, some doctors use the medicine herbs at home. Off the topic, unrelated this issue, many doctors buy the modern medicines by investing their money in stocks - I mean the stock market. This is how they makes extra money. This does not mean that the doctors are bad, but in a way they are just greedy for money.

I do believe in balance between the modern, herb, and homeopathy medicines.

For general example, take a friendly weak pill (homeopathy). If the homeopathy is not working, then try the herb. If the herb is not working, then try a modern medicine as last resort. A modern medicine is stronger and faster to "invade" the body in the war directly that probably destroy both good and bad cells that may weaken immunity system slowly. Sorry, this is dull information. That's the way it works.

If you believe a doctor, that is your choice. I am not saying that both modern medicine and alternative medicine are bad. It depends on your health condition.

I think I told her that St. John's Wort that might help her, but that is part of herb that could interact her medicine so it is probably not worth for her to take the herb. Unless she does not have any medicine, then it might be a possible. I prefer for her to make her own decision to ask her doctor or maybe a naturopathic doctor. (I heard someone that a Medicare can cover a nauropathic doctor, and I find that hard to believe.)

This makes me think that we are talking about abortion and anti-abortion here, but it is ideal of what we are talking about the medicines.

St John Wort will not help anybody with bipolar disorder.

http://www.webmd.com/depression/guide/st-johns-wort

Is there scientific evidence that supports the use of St. John's wort for depression?
There is some scientific evidence that St. John's wort is helpful in treating mild to moderate depression. However, two large studies, one sponsored by the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM), showed that the herb was no more effective than placebo in treating major depression of moderate severity. NCCAM is currently studying the use of St. John's wort in a wider spectrum of mood disorders, including minor depression.

The depression associated with bipolar disorder is severe, so taking this herb would be like taking water for the illness. Ineffective. Incidently, I'm also treated for bipolar disorder.

At any rate, we're swaying off the point now. Sorry to have hijacked your thread, Hear Again.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming. :)

Back