Suggestions for Audiobooks?

contradica

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone would share some Audiobooks suggestions and experiences that I could get to use after I get activated on Monday.

Thank you so much!!

Well, I'd recommend Good Night, Moon as a starter as that was the only book I could follow at all when I got hooked up. As you progress, Dr. Seuss is fun to follow as it's clear he really like to play around with rhymes.

Well, I'd recommend Good Night, Moon as a starter as that was the only book I could follow at all when I got hooked up. As you progress, Dr. Seuss is fun to follow as it's clear he really like to play around with rhymes.

Does Good Night, Moon have special sound effects to it? I'm trying to figure out which books have those special effects and which doesn't?

I'm kind of a harry potter fan which I want to dive right into but I keep saying, take it slow!!

Good night Moon has no other special sound effect other than a sound that it uses make to make you realize you should turn to the next page.

I've no idea which books have specialed sound effects but all audiobooks play some sort of sound to make you realize that you should go to the next page.

I hope one day I'll be able to listen well enough to follow adult audiobooks.

I have been using children's books. "If you give a mouse a cookie" type. Remember I just got activated on the 8th of August, so this helped me. Remember to not just listen but say it with the tape. It helps so your ci understand what the tape said and what you said. Sothats how it worked with me.

Also with music go back to older music that you knew or listen to before your hearing got worst. I had to go back a long time to Elton John and Chicago. I would pull the lyrics up on the computer and sing along with the music. It took awhile to keep up with my spot. Don't get frustrated. I hope you have a wonderful experience like I am.

Today I went to a band comp for high school band. I had a great time and understoood most of the music.

Do you know if you will see a speech therapist? I started from audio cd's of her voice, at first with consonant recognition, then advancing on to sentences, challenging sounding words, and whole article size audio. From this point I started picking up on the radio well, especially with background sounds to make it more challenging. With a CI, it truly seems like learning to hear all over again.

I would suggest that if you can understand male voices better choose a book with a male narrator. If you understand female voices better then go with a female narrator.

I definitely would not choose a book narrated by a child. I was also activated August 8 (Wow! a busy day for ADers) and have done really well so far but childrens voices are still a problem.

How about "The Little train that could" , very inspirational!

Contra, I almost bought the last Harry Potter on CD but figured the British accents would be too much.

I bought a series of "Winnie the Pooh" audiobooks, which has loads of sound effects including tigger bouncing :giggle: When I first started listening to them, I didn't hear much of the sound effects but with every mapping, they increasingly became more distinct. It's a really good benchmark to be able to listen to the same story over a period of time to see how different it sounds.

I'd say for me voices came first and the environmental sounds took longer to come to the fore.

mm I'll have to buy some Winnie the Pooh audiobooks and listen for that..

I might try some as well. I need to get more time to just practice my hearing as well. I think I am "getting" use to this and not taking my 30 minutes a day practicing. I'm sure when I get my own ipod I will have more time. Right now I am sharing on.

Last edited:
just a quick question. does anyone know if it's possible to put the audio book that's on a cd onto an mp3 player? I bought one to put onto my mp3, but it's 5 disks long and the tracks all seem to be numbered the same so the second one writes over the first. I really wanted to use the mp3 cause it's easier to carry at work which is where I wanted to use it. So is it possible, if so how. My player does have a slot of a sd card so space shouldn't be a big problem.

Just as a note, I 'finally' figured out how to get the music on it. LOL

just a quick question. does anyone know if it's possible to put the audio book that's on a cd onto an mp3 player? I bought one to put onto my mp3, but it's 5 disks long and the tracks all seem to be numbered the same so the second one writes over the first. I really wanted to use the mp3 cause it's easier to carry at work which is where I wanted to use it. So is it possible, if so how. My player does have a slot of a sd card so space shouldn't be a big problem.

Just as a note, I 'finally' figured out how to get the music on it. LOL

Yes. You can copy the audio books on CD onto your computer and then save to the SD card. You'll need some software to do that though e.g. Pioneer Record Now. I have an Ipod and was able to connect this to the computer using the USB cable that came with the package. Does your MP3 player have a USB port?

Yes. You can copy the audio books on CD onto your computer and then save to the SD card. You'll need some software to do that though e.g. Pioneer Record Now. I have an Ipod and was able to connect this to the computer using the USB cable that came with the package. Does your MP3 player have a USB port?

That's what I thought, the problem I'm having is I copy the first disk to computer then start the 2nd and it starts to overwrite the first. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I probalby need to identify them as disk 1 dist 2 etc. But not sure how to do that, I'll figure it out sometime tho. :)

Oh regarding the personal audio cable, did you know that you're supposed to turn off the processer when connecting it? then to change to the setting for the ED or some letters like that you have to change the setting to M, then T, and then it goes to the eternal setting thing? My audi told me that. Maybe the switching thing was why I was having difficulty with it sometimes. Knowing this makes it really easy for me to switch back to full mic when someone comes along and wants to speak to me. I'm really enjoying listening to music during work.

contradica congrats on your activation. good luck. I used the HA in my other ear and I really think it helped my Ci ear adjust to speech much more quickly. I quit using the HA after about 2 months.

For music I listened to alot of johnny cash and other CW singers. (I like country and easy listening and lite rock....lotsa oldies) But they were singers and groups I listened to when I was growing up. I find it very amazing how much instrumentals I don't recall hearing. I also find it amazing that sometimes I was really off on the words. :) Using the mp3 player I find i'm hearing even more of the lyrics then before.

Audiobooks

Hi!

I used an audiobook recording of Ernest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea when I first started out. It is a simple story in plain, clear language and is narrated very consistently by a male narrator with a strong, clear voice. And its a classic story enjoyed by kids and grownups. Have fun!

That's what I thought, the problem I'm having is I copy the first disk to computer then start the 2nd and it starts to overwrite the first. So I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. I probalby need to identify them as disk 1 dist 2 etc. But not sure how to do that, I'll figure it out sometime tho. :)

Why don't you copy all the files at once to the SD card? If you save all the files copied from the audio CDs into the same folder, you highlight them all and copy them across to the SD card together? Does your software allow you to do that?

Oh regarding the personal audio cable, did you know that you're supposed to turn off the processer when connecting it? then to change to the setting for the ED or some letters like that you have to change the setting to M, then T, and then it goes to the eternal setting thing? My audi told me that.

Yes LOL! When I first purchased it, I had problems getting it to work. However my audie called Cochlear for me and told me I had to follow the same steps to do that! They should really put that in the instructions don't you think?

contradica congrats on your activation. good luck. I used the HA in my other ear and I really think it helped my Ci ear adjust to speech much more quickly. I quit using the HA after about 2 months.

I think this is a really good point. I am certain that the sound from the other ear is helping my newly implanted ear to make sense of the information. Maybe that's why my audie said only to have the other CI switched off for two hours a day?

Hi!

I used an audiobook recording of Ernest Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea when I first started out. It is a simple story in plain, clear language and is narrated very consistently by a male narrator with a strong, clear voice. And its a classic story enjoyed by kids and grownups. Have fun!

Thanks for the recommendation! :) How long have you had your CI for?

How long have I been implanted

R2D2,

I was implanted on my left side (worse ear) four years ago. During the last four years I've lost all the hearing on my right side as well. More recently, I suffered a rejection of the implant on the left side. A week ago the left side CI was explanted (removed) and I was implanted on the right side. Activation of the new CI is scheduled for next week. If all goes as planned and the inflammation on my left side goes away and heals, I will receive a new implant on the left side later this year and will be bi-lateral.

During this two week period between the explant/implant and the activation I am completely deaf for the first time in my life (I am 56 years old). It has been a most interesting experience.

R2D2,

I was implanted on my left side (worse ear) four years ago. During the last four years I've lost all the hearing on my right side as well. More recently, I suffered a rejection of the implant on the left side. A week ago the left side CI was explanted (removed) and I was implanted on the right side. Activation of the new CI is scheduled for next week. If all goes as planned and the inflammation on my left side goes away and heals, I will receive a new implant on the left side later this year and will be bi-lateral.

During this two week period between the explant/implant and the activation I am completely deaf for the first time in my life (I am 56 years old). It has been a most interesting experience.

That must have been a big surgery for you. I hope the left side does heal up nicely for you so that it can be reimplanted. Do they know why your implant was rejected? Obviously, they believe that it was a one off incident since you are being reimplanted.

Hope all goes well with the activation :) You must be looking forward to it.

Back