Suggestions Aids, Please

liz098

Reaction score
Greetings to all,
I am new here. I want to know about hearing aids for my mom. She has already undergone a cochlear implant surgery. It was two months before that she underwent this treatment. But mom is still showing some difficulty in hearing. What is to be done? Will a hearing aid help her in this situation? If then what sort of hearing aid would meet my moms need? Will a behind the ear hearing aids meet her need? Because one of my friend's mom had the same problem and used an behind the ear hearing aid from Hearing Solution in Toronto. She is able to hear after using this. Will this happen in every condition? Any experiences of this sort? Anything to suggest?

Are you asking about a hearing aid for the non-implanted ear? If she doesn't have anything in the non-implanted ear, she could try a hearing aid in that ear to see if it helps. Can't really do a hearing aid in the implanted ear as the implant typically destroys whatever residual hearing there is (despite the new technology/advancements, there is no guarantee that residual hearing can be preserved). Not only that, but the implants typically are supposed to be better than hearing aids. But definitely look into a bi-modal approach (CI in one ear, hearing aid in the other). When one gets an implant, it's because hearing aids aren't providing enough benefits.

Last edited:
Greetings to all,
I am new here. I want to know about hearing aids for my mom. She has already undergone a cochlear implant surgery. It was two months before that she underwent this treatment. But mom is still showing some difficulty in hearing. What is to be done? Will a hearing aid help her in this situation? If then what sort of hearing aid would meet my moms need? Will a behind the ear hearing aids meet her need? Because one of my friend's mom had the same problem and used an behind the ear hearing aid from Hearing Solution in Toronto. She is able to hear after using this. Will this happen in every condition? Any experiences of this sort? Anything to suggest?

If you mean it's only been two months since she got the CI, then I think you're expecting a miracle. It takes time to adjust to the CI and not everyone gets the best possible results. It's not a quick fix. (I don't have one).

Your ear pulls in the sounds, but its your brain that does the hearing. Her brain needs to adjust to the new sounds coming to it from the CI.
What does her CI audiologist have to say?

BlueLove has a point too. 2 months, her brain is still adjusting and getting used to the CI signals. It takes time.

Back