Suffering at grad school

Easwar A.

Reaction score
Hey, I have sensorineural hearing loss on both ears and I am using a pair of hearing aids. I am from India and studying for Masters degree in Physics at a prestigious institute. Though, using a pair of hearing aids I find it extremely difficulty in learning. The environment, teachers are not at all disability friendly and I am the only deaf in the whole institute and perhaps the only such student in it's history. My difficulties include note taking ( no note takers in India),lip reading is quite difficult as teachers explain things while using the board, no notes by teachers etc. I feel completely isolated.
Can anyone suggest a good university for masters in physics where students like me can study without any difficulty and also where recommendation letter is not needed. So far no teachers appreciated me in learning a tough subject like physics. Btw I have a Bachelors degree with honors in physics.

What kind of accommodations are available to you? A lot of times, you are required to ask for your own but they are required by law to help you. You should be allowed to get notes in advance, an interpreter, a note taker... Let me know if I can be of further assistance!

What kind of accommodations are available to you? A lot of times, you are required to ask for your own but they are required by law to help you. You should be allowed to get notes in advance, an interpreter, a note taker... Let me know if I can be of further assistance!
Well, when I asked about notes, teachers said it would be difficult for them to prepare notes just for one student. I have 60-63dB HL so I don't need an interpreter but I need note takers. But unfortunately the college itself doesn't have any disability service desks. The worst thing is the college is run by our Government !. That's why I am searching for good foreign universities.

It is a LAW that they are required to offer you services if needed. You need to speak to someone in charge. Show proof from a Doctor of your hearing loss and demand that they give you what you need. By law, they are required to help you when requested. Someone on that campus has to know of these laws and if they do not abide by them then they are in violation of FEDERAL LAW!

5. Students with Disabilities and Postsecondary School
The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 forbid discrimination in schools based on disability. This applies to colleges and universities as well as elementary, middle and high schools. Many students with special needs go on to study at the postsecondary level, but the laws are slightly different for postsecondary schools. The law does not require postsecondary schools to provide a free appropriate public education to students, but it does oblige schools to offer suitable academic adjustments and accessible housing to students with disabilities.

Well, this is in India. So, there is no such rule though the only rules are 3% reservation for handicapped students in securing admission for various courses and extra time for examinations.

Ahhh... I see. I am so sorry! Well, I guess I cannot help you there. However, my suggestion would be to use a phone or laptop to record lectures and then have a hearing friend help with taking notes and studying from there. I hear quite well and still record some of my professors because I am a slow writer (and also tend to drift off in my own thoughts when something is interesting lol) and its helpful when I can go back and listen to them over.

If you are looking for a school in the US, look at Rochester Institute of Technology. There is a large deaf college on this campus so they should be much more deaf-aware and able to provide the accommodations you need. I don't know about their admissions policy so you'll have to investigate that yourself.

http://www.rit.edu/cos/astrophysics/

I am not sure if astrophysics is the right match for your major but this should give you something to get started.

Wow, that's tough. Without laws that force universities to accommodate deaf students, it will be difficult to get what you need. I don't know if you can get one of the influential senior professors to mentor and advocate for you with your academic program.

India is in a rough economic situation right now, so you can't depend on any accommodations that will cost the government money. Can you get a few of the other students to make copies of their daily notes?

You are a student in a scientific major. You and your fellow students might be able to come up with your own ways to take advantage of technology to help you. Attack this situation like it was your master's thesis. :)

Best wishes to you.

If you do decide to look out side of India- NTID (part of RIT) is a good place to start- they're more geared to science & math majors. Gallaudet is another- I know they have science degrees but no idea on the graduate level as Gallaudet is closer to liberal arts type degrees (Education, Social Work, Psychology) but have seen science degrees in undergrad level.

Back