Sue Target

sethmantooth

Reaction score
Hello I want to get some more help from you deaf people about your problem with Target. I worked at Target for less than a month and already got FIRED!!! I have been warning by lot of deaf people about working at Target, however I need a job and couldn't find anywhere in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Not even a simple job like dishwasher. I just NEED MONEY!!!

Here is the story about what happened. I have worked there for only a month. I worked with 30 people in my team. There was one woman (not in my team) when I tried to say few words as question. She mocked me by giving me ugly mouth and face fascial. Mocked me as deaf cant talk. Other day it happened again she mocked me then I finally flipped at her. She cried to the office. She told them I flipped at her. Of course, I told them that I never did. Office didnt have any evidence. They didnt see that on video. I tried to explain to them about she mocked me. They still didnt care. They did NOTHING to her!!! It didnt change anything. I tried to tell them that NO ONE in my 30 people team complained to the office. That 30 people loves me and are very good friends with me. I love those 30 people in my team I work with. That prove it that 30 people I worked with had no problem with me. It would be more like Target give me a warning or believe in me. Why didnt they WARN me? They just immediately fired me for ONLY flip ONCE but NO EVIDENCE!!! Normally the jobs just give warning at first time or just ingore them. It make sense that they fired me IMMEDIATELY because of my deafies. They must get frustrated by writing communication and pay for interpreters. So they dont want that anymore. Why dont they do any trouble to that woman for mocking me as deaf?

I did hard work at Target fastest work I can do. I never call-in sick or anything like that. I was never late.

I never heard any bad news about Wal Mart treating deaf people. I heard bad news about Target ALL THE TIME!!!

I already had four jobs in 10 years. Reason I quit because other job with more hours and higher rate hourly after high school, go on mission, move to other city, school, etc. All of those jobs love me and I love them too. Target is only one that I had problem with in my life.

Oklahoma City is awful state for deaf people. Oklahoma is very ingorant state on deaf people. I am living here because of my wife's family is in Oklahoma City (OKC). I am trying to get her to move out of here OKC with me. So is her brother.

However if you know anything bad history, witness, had problem with Target, or know anyone who can help me with anything about Target's trouble. Please give me information. I heard that Target already had bad history with deaf people. If you can give me ANY information bad thing about Target treating deaf people. Please contact me. I need some witnesses who have bad experiences about Target. That is the best way to win at the court. I desire to SUE Target and teach them lesson. Thank you!
TARGET:rl:

Last edited:
I have several friends who work at Targest in Dallas/Fort Worth. They aren't laid off or fired.

If you got fired, it's obviously, you have doing not work hard, not show loyal or something. I never got fired in my life. Because I am one of hard work.

work at wal-mart :D

i had been fired from target back in 1998.. but it's obviously my fault.. cuz i call-in too much...

now i work at wal-mart.. no problem with them.. since i live in small town... almost no deaf community here.. and wal-mart have no problem with me :D

You've given us a long post... but one thing is missing. What's missing? It's the reason for being fired. That's the most common reason for denial among many people who are "fired" from their jobs. I've had friends come to me saying that they're pissed off about being fired from their jobs. I'll then ask them why they were fired and then they will hestitate for a moment before answering me with something that's not even related to why they were fired.

So, why were you fired?

VamPyroX said:
You've given us a long post... but one thing is missing. What's missing? It's the reason for being fired. That's the most common reason for denial among many people who are "fired" from their jobs. I've had friends come to me saying that they're pissed off about being fired from their jobs. I'll then ask them why they were fired and then they will hestitate for a moment before answering me with something that's not even related to why they were fired.

So, why were you fired?

Oh yeah I was truly hard worker. Why do you think lot of my old jobs loves me so much? All those job I quitted for moving to other cities for school and mission. The story was one woman (not in my team) mocked me as deaf when I tried to say a few words. She gave me ugly fascial and gave ugly mouth talking. I did complained to the office at first and they did nothing. That same woman did the same thing again other day and I finally flip at her. She cried to the office. I told the office I never did it. They dont see me flip on the camera video either. But they fired me anyway. I tried to tell them about that woman mocking me as deafies. They didnt care. I worked with 30 people in my team. They all loves me. I am very good friend with my team. The office never heard any complaint from my team I worked with 30 people everyday? How can I be the problem person if there is no complaint from my 30 people in my team? Why have I heard so many warning from deaf people in more than one states? I have never heard any negative from deaf people about Wal Mart. I always heard positive and respectful from deaf people. Target didnt want me to be a cashier because I am deaf, but I know lot deaf are cashier in Wal Mart. I know one Wal Mart in Utah have FIVE deaf people who are cashier. Target still refused let me be a cashier.

illustrator said:
I have several friends who work at Targest in Dallas/Fort Worth. They aren't laid off or fired.

If you got fired, it's obviously, you have doing not work hard, not show loyal or something. I never got fired in my life. Because I am one of hard work.

Yeah Texas treat deaf people much better than Oklahoma does. Why do you think they are having problem with Post Office in Oklahoma? They are trying to sue Post Office in Oklahoma right now.

That is wrong for them to fired u when they have no proof that u flipped that woman off even if not shown on camera that u did it... They were dumb to fired you over that.. .. Ill say sue them.. get what ur money is worth!.. Im sure they might have to rehire you back or do a settlement.. Im sure u will win.. if thats the truth what happened. and Good Luck!

Speaking of Target....
I even advice any of my peeps NOT NOT work at Target because they don't really understand how deaf can do what Hearing people can do. Which was bullshit to me. I was assigned to be working in the backroom, well after my 60 days check up, they told me I need to meet more people. WTF? Backroom? NO ONE doesn't go back there. Jerks. After a while, I had to quit because of school and the mangers sucks ass.. I ask them if I could work on the sales floor or cashier, month after months. Nada, Zip, Zero :madfawk: Nothing Happened!

I hate working at Target. so .. :barf: Target!!

If you feel you were unfairly and harshly dismissed from work, then you should take them to court like I did.
In my case, I had my employment terminated due to a claim of a breach of duty of care on my side which I defended and showed proof that I didn't breach any duty of care over clients I was responsible for and that the company didn't follow proper procedures of disciplining/terminating employees.
I sued and won the case. Best to go to the Union (if you have one that will help you tremendously).

How do you know if they fired you just because you are deaf?
Maybe they hired you for seasonal work, and now that the holiday season is over, they do not need all the seasonal workers anymore, so they decided to let you go? It seems like a possibility to me, that if they hired you, but wasn't clear on if it was just for seasonal work or permanent fulltime/parttime.

kuifje75 said:
How do you know if they fired you just because you are deaf?
Maybe they hired you for seasonal work, and now that the holiday season is over, they do not need all the seasonal workers anymore, so they decided to let you go? It seems like a possibility to me, that if they hired you, but wasn't clear on if it was just for seasonal work or permanent fulltime/parttime.

Nope the seasonal work wasnt over. They fired me on December 6th. That is still long way before Christmas was over. They TOLD ME I am fired for flip at that woman which they have no evidence. Of course, I told them that I never did. But they fired me anyway. Also why ya think they said they dont want me to work at cashier. THey already told me that they dont want me to work at cashier because I am deaf. There are lot of deaf people working at cashier at Wal Mart. I even told Target that but they still doesnt care.

Last edited:
No reason for the Boss to not have u run the cash register....The deaf person should be able to do the most important parts of the job without assistance. Employers should change a job whenever possible to allow a deaf or hearing impaired person the opportunity to do the job. If answering the phone is one small part of the job and you can do the other parts of the job by yourself, your employer should assign the phone duties to someone else.But other than that nothing wrong with having deaf people use the cash register. That is discriminated!
You can go to www.eeoc.gov which is Equal Employment Opportunity Commission u can call through tdd which the number is (800)669-6820 they will be able to tell u what to do where to go... Hope this helps and good Luck!

I used to work for SuperTarget here in Denver, Colorado... I have worked for SuperTarget for about a year and half as a cashier... I had no problem at all until I quit and decide to visit my relatives in Maryland to see if I should move there... which didn't work out so came back to Colorado to reapply SuperTarget... They didn't hire me cuz too many employees working... I reapply at wrong time... but the right time came for me to apply at Walmart the supercenter "Walfart" if you called it lol. I'm working there as cashier now and the pay's better than SuperTarass :lol: any question... I'm glad to answer... email me!

well, funny...I used to work for Target back in 1995 til 1996, boss did ask me if I would like to work as cashier but I turned down, just not feel comfortable to do that position as cashier...but anyway, I quitted there.

Until this year, I applied at Target, had two interviews, and did drug test and they did the background check. I thought it wouldn't be a problem and get hired but nope Im wrong. It took about THREE weeks for all those stupid crap -- 2 interviews, wait for drug test results and background check results. I kept calling them like every 4-5 days til I get the answer whether I'm hired or not so this person told me that he's sorry that he can't hire me because of background check isn't cleared (WTF? that suppose to mean, huh?) I have nothing on it...all is clean. It just don't make sense. I haven't worked since I quitted my last job back in Jan 00 due I got pregnant because that job I worked for required lot of physical contacts and liftings too. So then I haven't worked since.

Also, I remember it was so EASY to find job and get hired back then...now it's hard to find job nowadays after 9/11 has happened. I hate this. :madfawk:

Last edited:
~Heather~ said:
well, funny...I used to work for Target back in 1995 til 1996, boss did ask me if I would like to work as cashier but I turned down, just not feel comfortable to do that position as cashier...but anyway, I quitted there.

Until this year, I applied at Target, had two interviews, and did drug test and they did the background check. I thought it wouldn't be a problem and get hired but nope Im wrong. It took about THREE weeks for all those stupid crap -- 2 interviews, wait for drug test results and background check results. I kept calling them like every 4-5 days til I get the answer whether I'm hired or not so this person told me that he's sorry that he can't hire me because of background check isn't cleared (WTF? that suppose to mean, huh?) I have nothing on it...all is clean. It just don't make sense. I haven't worked since I quitted my last job back in Jan 00 due I got pregnant because that job I worked for required lot of physical contacts and liftings too. So then I haven't worked since.

Also, I remember it was so EASY to find job and get hired back then...now it's hard to find job nowadays after 9/11 has happened. I hate this. :madfawk:
Yes, that's become a problem lately. I haven't worked since the summer of 2001. The next month was the 9/11 thing, but I'm sure that it would be hard anyway. A friend of mine told me that he went to apply for CompUSA. He complained that the application was too damn long. I then talked to another friend who already worked there and he told me that it was for security reasons due to increase in thefts, false information, and many other things. That's why they've gotten a bit more paranoid about things. What the application included: 1 page personal information (name, address, birthdate, social security number, etc), 1 page education information (high school, college, etc), 1 page work history (where you worked, etc), 1 page personal experience (programming, skills, clubs, organizations, etc), 1 page credit check, 1 page reference check, plus a couple others I forgot. Now, that's a lot! However, my friend told me it was well worth the time. He loves working there.

Sue Target ONLY if you have an evidence or
otherwise you're wasting your time & efforts to sue them.

P.S. speaking of extremely long job applications,
goverment agencies are much worst of all (sigh...)
plus almost everyone at these job fairs always tell you
to look at their websites over and over and over and over.
They're bunch of idiots that way does NOT work at all...
if I am in charge of the entire job fair I will make a new rule
that they MUST have at least one person
WITH AN AUTHORITY IN HIRING must show up
at each booth per corporation and/or govt agency...
I really miss the old times years ago job fairs
they can hire you right on the spot immediately...
but NOT ANYMORE they tell you
just look at their website
(again, that way does NOT work especially for deafies, GRRRRRRR)

Last edited:
Were you unionized when you worked at Target? If so, get in contact with the union leader and tell him/her what happened. What you (preferably the union leader) should do is try to talk with the upper store's manager, if it doesn't do anything good, get in touch with someone (Human Resources) at the Target regional headquarters (probably in Dallas County, Texas) and tell what happened. If he/she is willing to help you, you may have go in meeting with the store's managers. Tell them you are considering to file lawsuit against the company (if you plan to).

That's what I did when I was wrongly fired by Kroger, I told the union leader what happened, etc, he talked to my former boss and tried to get my job back, it didn't do any good, so we got in touch with the Human Resources dept. at the Kroger regional headquarters in Atlanta. They agreed to look into it and meet us at the store's office, I got rehired but I told them I didn't want to work at the same location so they agreed to transfer me to the next location. They suspended the vice-president (whom was promoted from general manager right after she fired me), grocery manager and fired the employee. The store's vice-president was furious because her boss in Atlanta moved her back to the general manager position after only two to three weeks. I loved my new job at another Kroger store, they paid me well, almost 12 dollars a hour, but unfortunately I decided I couldn't take it anymore with the assistant grocery manager (a black man), he had problem with white people working under him, I left and found a better-paying job.

Thanks for the tip, Brian. I'll look into it and contact with someone in Human Resources, ect. Personally, I think it's bullshit about my situation and I will have them look into it and find out what's really going on.

I think you might have a pretty good case against Target, although I don’t think you should have flipped that bitch off. I think it weakens your case. (Although I would have done the same thing myself). I just spent the last half hour looking up the subject of disability discrimination, and I found out that making fun of a person’s disability is a form of harassment, and is legally considered to be the same thing as sexual or racial harassment. Since you made repeated complaints to the office about her behavior, and they didn’t do anything about it, I’d say you’re in a pretty strong position. You mentioned that there were 30 other people working in your area—somebody must have witnessed her making faces at you. As soon as these people are depositioned, Target might just want to buy you off with a nice fat out of court settlement. I personally know a woman who got an $80,000 settlement from K-Tel Records because they fired her when they found out she was taking Prozac. I think it’s definitely doable.

Back