Suck your blood while you're sleep....

Deafilmedia

Reaction score
324776034_d92c6c03c3.jpg

Across the Country, Bedbugs Are Back

(Nov. 7) - First come the bites, amazingly itchy, raised red welts that appear, literally, overnight. Then, you might notice scarlet spots on your sheets from smashed bugs or perhaps clusters of little black dots that you assume are dirt but are in fact constellations of fecal matter.

Be careful where you put your suitcase when you travel. "These guys are fantastic hitchhikers," says the University of Maryland's Michael Raupp. "If you have a luggage rack with metal racks, put your suitcase on that."
Check behind a hotel headboard. That's one of their favorite spots, Raupp says. Pull back the comforter and sheets and look for the fecal stains on the mattress seams and ticking. Shine a penlight behind the headboard and look for dark fecal stains.
If you do wake up with red welts, assume the worst. "At that point, when you go home, all laundry goes into a trash bag outside, and then right into a washing machine on a hot cycle, and then a clothes dryer," says the University of Kentucky's Michael F. Potter. "As little as five or 10 minutes kills everything on high heat. Cold will not kill the eggs and not all the adults."
Don't pull mattresses and dressers off the street. Steer clear of yard sales or flea markets. And don't ever buy used bedding.
If you do get them, don't use a bomb or spray, which will only scatter them through your home. "Find a good pest-control company. This is not one where you buy bug spray and battle it yourself," Potter says.
In many cases, pros suggest getting rid of your box spring and mattress, or if you can't, using a bug-proof zippered mattress cover that traps the buggers inside for at least a year.
Source: USA Today

And one day, you might wake up in the wee hours of the morning, flip on the lights and find red bugs, slightly bigger than ticks, crawling on your sheets, pillows and legs.

Welcome to the most retro pest of the 21st century, the bedbug. The bugs, which were thought to be wiped out by powerful pesticides such as DDT 30 years ago, are back and infesting major urban areas, suburbia and the heartland.

"This insect is a cryptic, bloodsucking parasite that bites people at night while sleeping, and it's one tough critter," says Michael Potter, an entomology professor at the University of Kentucky. "History is repeating itself. They used to be extremely common in hospitals and movie theaters, and now, that's where you pick them up."

Debbie Wunder and her husband, Rusty Pistachio, picked up the insects from a hotel in Curacao in the Netherlands Antilles. They didn't realize until later that they were bringing them home to Manhattan. He was eaten up all over; she didn't get a single bite, which isn't unusual, experts say. Bugs often feast on one person and ignore another. She noticed red splotches on their sheets, from tiny bugs squashed during the night, but didn't know what they meant. When the bites got worse, she started doing her homework. One day she looked beneath the mattress, "and sure enough, we had filthy bedbugs."

Wunder says she "totally freaked out. I felt dirty, itchy, disgusting and most of all, angry. My furious husband immediately exacted his revenge by smashing all the bugs we found with his fist.

"I picked up the phone and paid $200 to a hauling company to show up within the hour to remove our mattress, box spring and all the furniture in the immediate vicinity of our bed. I couldn't get our bed out of there fast enough."

Although concrete figures aren't available, it's safe to say bedbugs are present in every major city and in every state, says Jay Nixon, the president of American Pest Management, a pest control firm operating in the Washington, D.C., area.

Before 2000, "I could count on one hand how many calls I got about them," Nixon says. "Today, they're so common in many buildings, it's going to be assumed they come with the rent."

And experts say higher education isn't immune either: "Every major university in the U.S. has bedbugs in their housing, but they don't know it or don't want to admit it," Potter says.

The bedbug problem, says Michael Raupp, professor of entomology at the University of Maryland, "is across the board. -- This is a general problem and is on the upswing in all of our states."

Bedbugs feast on blood, preferably human, but they're not known to spread any physical disease. They do foster a deep and unyielding sense of paranoia and panic.

Even if you exterminate them and they appear to be gone, they might be waiting to make their reappearance.

"They can live for up to a year without a meal. You can vacate, and these guys can be alive for up to a year," Raupp says. "You'll always have these lingering questions. It's a little like living with cockroaches, but these guys are living off you."

The key to fighting bedbugs, the experts say, is understanding why they're so hardy. They can burrow and survive in spaces the thickness of a credit card. And it's a common myth that they live only in mattresses and box springs. They thrive behind picture frames, in cracks and crevices on the floor and inside wooden hangers.

Once you pick them up in a hotel, a subway or a rental car and they invade your living space, it's difficult to get rid of them. They're becoming ever more resistant to the few sprays that are approved to fight them after DDT was banned in 1972.

Then, too, it's a different world today, Potter says. "In the 1930s and '40s when people got bitten, it was another one of life's annoyances. We're not accustomed to this type of thing anymore."

Feed

Straying whales in Arctic may be sign of climate...
Experts warn Fla. about climate change
FTC announces Do Not Call list crackdown
Willie Nelson to receive BMI icon award
Devin Hester's TD prowess not simply for kick...
More StoriesPest control experts started noticing a renaissance in bedbugs in the late 1990s. They attribute the comeback to two major factors: an increase in cheap air travel to exotic locales where the pest was never eradicated in the first place and the elimination of "very residual long-lived pesticides that you could lay down along baseboards. As we started to phase out DDT and its relatives, we went to more short-lived chemicals. The suppression that was there by using the longer-lasting compounds is no longer there," Raupp says.

The worst thing about having bedbugs is never knowing when they're gone. There's no test, no trap and, usually, no peace of mind. Experts generally say that if you go for four months or more without being bitten, you're safe. But if you live in an apartment building and a neighbor has them, you're out of luck.

Probably, the bugs will be back because they travel vertically and laterally.

"There's no silver bullet waiting in the wings for bedbugs," Potter says.

Wunder, who now lives in Los Angeles with her husband, bought covers for her new mattress and box spring, washed or dry-cleaned all her clothing and says she's become a bedbug vigilante.

"I will never ever sleep in a hotel bed without doing a thorough check of the mattress and linens," she says. "Like the Great White song, we are once bitten, twice shy -- and angry."

Copyright 2007 USA TODAY, a division of Gannett Co. Inc. All Rights Reserved.
2007-11-07 08:53:24

So does anyone know IF you do get them in your home, how do you get rid of them??

Is traveling and bringing them INTO your home the only way to get them?

I SO never EVER want to see these in my house!! :nono: ICK, and YUCK!! :barf:

So does anyone know IF you do get them in your home, how do you get rid of them??

Is traveling and bringing them INTO your home the only way to get them?

I SO never EVER want to see these in my house!! :nono: ICK, and YUCK!! :barf:

Get a new mattress and bedsheets and new pillows, and new blankets.

Does DDT (Dichloro-Diphenyl-Trichloroethane) need to be re-introduce in USA since it's banned right now?

I found from wikipedia and said pest control has new challenge due lacks of DDT because USA was already banned it in around 60's or 70's.
Bedbug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hate to say, DDT does affect environment as well.

*off-topic*

..umm...continuously:

*throws sheets with hot water in the washer* *plugs in the vacuum, flips it 'on'...holds it above the mattress, **pushing forward ~n~ pulling back**, over and over all across the mattress* *flips the 'off' button convincedly*...*emptys the contents of the vacuum bag in the trash* *takes the trash bag outside in sub-zero weather*......there. Problem solved. :D

On the other hand, nev'a mind me folks!! :lol:

:scatter:
~RR

Get a new mattress and bedsheets and new pillows, and new blankets.

That will not solve the problem; good, regular vacuuming of the mattress helps and maybe there is a spray, too, dunno....

I've stayed at many many many hotels/motels, never had that problem with bedbugs, I rarely see them anyways...

Angel, I don't think we can see bed bugs with the naked eye.

You can see bed bugs with the naked eye but they are small.

From Do-It-Yourself Pest Control: COMMON BED BUGS PICTURES AND BED BUG CONTROL/TREATMENT

The common bed bug is visible to the naked eye.

Adult bed bugs are brown to reddish-brown, oval-shaped, flattened, and about 1/4 to 5/8 inch long. Their flat shape enables them to readily hide in cracks and crevices. After a blood meal, the body elongates and becomes swollen. Eggs are not known to be placed on the host's body but are found on surfaces near where the host sleeps or nests.

Bed bugs have a beak like piercing-sucking mouthpart system. The adults have small, stubby, nonfunctional wing pads. Newly hatched nymphs are nearly colorless, becoming brownish as they mature. Nymphs have the general appearance of adults. Eggs are white and about 1/32 inch long.

Deafilmedia: The thread makes me :ugh::run:

:laugh2:

So maybe I can see bed bugs with the naked eye but I don't want to see them!

Lol, if you can see them with the naked eye, that means you haven't been after them often enough when they are too small to be seen!

Yeah Roadrunner already told me that after I made that post :giggle:, I just never thought bedbugs were real until now, because my parents and others says " Good night, sleep tight, don't let the bedbugs bite ya ". I always thought it was just bedtime stories parents tell their children..

I watched one of those undercover shows about hotels hygenine regarding to mattresses and sheets. What I saw made me :barf: So many bedbugs!!!!

I watched one of those undercover shows about hotels hygenine regarding to mattresses and sheets. What I saw made me :barf: So many bedbugs!!!!

Don't say that hon, I have to sleep in some of these hotels...:tears:

*off-topic*

..umm...continuously:

*throws sheets with hot water in the washer* *plugs in the vacuum, flips it 'on'...holds it above the mattress, **pushing forward ~n~ pulling back**, over and over all across the mattress* *flips the 'off' button convincedly*...*emptys the contents of the vacuum bag in the trash* *takes the trash bag outside in sub-zero weather*......there. Problem solved. :D

On the other hand, nev'a mind me folks!! :lol:

:scatter:
~RR

lol, ya funny. :)

Okay, How about get water bed and see what happen if bedbugs are unable to get in?

Anyone know about DDT? I think it's bad so enough to get back again.

Back