Stupid comments

Sometimes it annoys me when people ask me how good can I hear especially when I said I'm deaf. Like...Deaf. COMPLETELY deaf. If I do have any hearing, I would say I'm HoH but...deaf is where you CAN'T hear shit AT ALL. lol
Exactly, so without my CI's... nope, nada....not happening...lmao and it confuses the hell out of some.

Sometimes it annoys me when people ask me how good can I hear especially when I said I'm deaf. Like...Deaf. COMPLETELY deaf. If I do have any hearing, I would say I'm HoH but...deaf is where you CAN'T hear shit AT ALL. lol

Hmm for me... if I say I'm HoH, people assume I can hear very very well even with hearing aids. Nope.. I can hear but doesn't mean I'll always understand the words being spoken. If I say I'm deaf- then it's a bit easier to get people to understand and work with me with how to communicate etc.

FWIW... even though I've always had hearing aids and "functioned" well in the hearing world, I've always identified as deaf.

Hmm for me... if I say I'm HoH, people assume I can hear very very well even with hearing aids. Nope.. I can hear but doesn't mean I'll always understand the words being spoken. If I say I'm deaf- then it's a bit easier to get people to understand and work with me with how to communicate etc.

FWIW... even though I've always had hearing aids and "functioned" well in the hearing world, I've always identified as deaf.

This is me too Ducky. If I say I'm HoH people assume it's like vision and my hearing aids have 'fixed' everything. If I say I'm deaf they seem to get it better and slow down and stop mumbling

Also my mother doesn't pay attention enough to really add it to memory. She didn't even recall the conversation where i initially told her even quoting her in regards to the topic that came after.
If the above is in reference to Erica's comment, no..'memory lost' aka dementia or alzheimer's, as your post is implying, is not always the de facto answer and one that many people always seems to make a beeline to any time somebody says "oh my mother forgot about that" or "my father forgets that my deafness is profound".

It's probably more simply that when a parent lives with a child for so long who grew up with hearing aids and/or oral they do tend to 'forget' because it becomes a normal part of life... a part of the kid. It happens here all the time and there is no chance in blue hell either parent is 'forgetting other things' or teetering on dementia/Alzheimer's/'memory loss'.

Through-out the years I've got really stupid comments about being deaf. Luckily I have a sense of humor and laugh them off, other times it just pisses me off. My favorite comment of all time is 'you don't look deaf', well I didn't realise there is a dress code XD Does anyone else get these stupid comments ?
I've been told "Why don't you get it sorted?" I wish I could! I've also been called thick and stupid. Not bad for someone who qualifed for two professional institutes and worked as a business trainer and consultant!

Back