Students, Your questions answered here.

This is a link to an article about Black ASL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...897628-bbe2-11e1-8867-ecf6cb7935ef_story.html

as far as the question you have Alissa - this is what I thought, for me, when I read your question - groups that have a long history of oppression...trust or lack thereof, about those not part of that group - that oppression and history is significant. Being able to be safe in the space of people who share a common experience of prejudice, ignorance directed at group members, shared background like a Deaf school in the case of Deaf....that's all important, part of maintaining ties to each other, maintaining language and values in a world that does not understand or value the same. The disenfranchised group can be its own family. For me, a someone who moves between different "outsider" groups for different reasons - being with someone where you don't have to explain anything<again>, where you use your own language, where some things automatically pass between you and other members because people automatically "get it" - all that can be empowering and comforting. You can understand "the history and the hearing ignorance..." <as in the example here>from a literal and historical perspective but to really know the kinds of things I've described, you have to have shared experiences.

This is a link to an article about Black ASL: https://www.washingtonpost.com/life...897628-bbe2-11e1-8867-ecf6cb7935ef_story.html

as far as the question you have Alissa - this is what I thought, for me, when I read your question - groups that have a long history of oppression...trust or lack thereof, about those not part of that group - that oppression and history is significant. Being able to be safe in the space of people who share a common experience of prejudice, ignorance directed at group members, shared background like a Deaf school in the case of Deaf....that's all important, part of maintaining ties to each other, maintaining language and values in a world that does not understand or value the same. The disenfranchised group can be its own family. For me, a someone who moves between different "outsider" groups for different reasons - being with someone where you don't have to explain anything<again>, where you use your own language, where some things automatically pass between you and other members because people automatically "get it" - all that can be empowering and comforting. You can understand "the history and the hearing ignorance..." <as in the example here>from a literal and historical perspective but to really know the kinds of things I've described, you have to have shared experiences.

Thanks for your answer- I guess I just never got over how my boyfriend's brother and his friends never accepted me. My boyfriend at the time was hearing and his brother was deaf. Those two were inseparable . So, my boyfriends friends were the same as his brothers- all deaf. Being the hearing outsider wanting in and being rejected worries me... that after I become fluent in ASL I will away run into that same wall.

In deaf communities.. Are all accepted?

I have little hearing my my one ear as well as a auditory processing disorder which we recently found out is part of the genetic micro deletion. I can talk and hear like anyother hearing person.. I never realized my hearing loss because I compensated or turned my head so I can hear my good ear. It's great because if my husband snores I rolled over my one side and have little to no sound..lol. My son is only 5 with a larger micro deletion the causes several disabilities. What if I do loss more of my hearing or my son has greater issues as he grows...

how does one acclimate into the community?

Sorry if I'm going on and on.. I was always a child psych major and just add deaf studies/ ASL because of the need in the field as well as personal medical issues (my son and me). I just want to make sure I'm doing the best I can and not feel like we wouldn't be accept in either world.

Below is just my experience....
I've been accepted as hoh person...I also possibly have CAPD <do happen to have diagnosed math LD - which wasn't caught til I self-initiated diagnosis in college after I kept failing remedial college math>. Big thing is ATTITUDE...to value ASL as a language and Deaf cultural norms <or be open to learning about them>. For me it was a long learning experience -from first being introduced to Deaf culture in college where I worked part time in a after school recreational program for d/Deaf kids who had disabilities , and the program also had Deaf staff and the first year, a CODA supervisor. So I learned a lot but don't think I was hoh then. I was in my early 20's. The I took a "sign language" <not ASL-didn't know> class in college taught by a hearing man- BAD idea, but again, I didn't know. I got on AD here and REALLY learned a ton from so many d/Deaf people! Then I met other Deaf people locally to me and started off-and-on taking classes with Deaf teachers, including my friend whose class is sadly ending. I've been to some Deaf events/socials where I am. It's been a several-years thing, and you have to take off your Hearing <I know you have "hearing loss"> mind and be open to stuff. I sign poorly but I am ok with making mistakes, being vulnerable, to be in a Deaf world. I think that's big, too. I come at from the perspective of a "non-mainstream" person anyway.

Below is just my experience....
I've been accepted as hoh person...I also possibly have CAPD <do happen to have diagnosed math LD - which wasn't caught til I self-initiated diagnosis in college after I kept failing remedial college math>. Big thing is ATTITUDE...to value ASL as a language and Deaf cultural norms <or be open to learning about them>. For me it was a long learning experience -from first being introduced to Deaf culture in college where I worked part time in a after school recreational program for d/Deaf kids who had disabilities , and the program also had Deaf staff and the first year, a CODA supervisor. So I learned a lot but don't think I was hoh then. I was in my early 20's. The I took a "sign language" <not ASL-didn't know> class in college taught by a hearing man- BAD idea, but again, I didn't know. I got on AD here and REALLY learned a ton from so many d/Deaf people! Then I met other Deaf people locally to me and started off-and-on taking classes with Deaf teachers, including my friend whose class is sadly ending. I've been to some Deaf events/socials where I am. It's been a several-years thing, and you have to take off your Hearing <I know you have "hearing loss"> mind and be open to stuff. I sign poorly but I am ok with making mistakes, being vulnerable, to be in a Deaf world. I think that's big, too. I come at from the perspective of a "non-mainstream" person anyway.

Thank you for sharing your experience- this gives me hope.

None of the links at the beginning of the thread seem to be working and I haven't had a lot of success using the search feature to find the listed articles. Anyone else having this problem?

My question: Can anyone share titles for any GOOD futuristic scifi books or stories featuring a Deaf protagonist? (I know they're out there but I'm looking for the best of the lot.)

This is a thread that has been around for a bit (created because we're always being asked to do everyone's work for them,) so it's not really a surprise if some of the links don't work anymore.

:)Hi All, i am a student doing research on inner voices and would really appreciate your help to find answers to certain questions. Many of those without hearing impairments report that they hear an imagined voice when reading and claim that this voice comes from within. Some believe that those deaf from birth will not experience this as they have not heard voices before and hence are unable to generate imagined voices whilst reading. Others state that the deaf can possess inner reading voices as these voices are generated within your head and not externally. Hence, I'm really curious to find out what the actual experience is and would really truly appreciate if you can share your personal experiences with me. Thank you so very much in advance for your time :)

Thank you Bottesini for this thread. I wasn't going to post my question on this forum until I saw that there was an appropriate thread for students' questions.

I'm trying to understand this poster by Milton Glaser:
1984_United_Nations_Day_Peace_Works_small-5528.jpg

At first I assumed it was American sign language spelling out "Peace Works" but now I don't think so. Then I thought that maybe it was saying "Dove" or "Peace" in different sign languages, especially considering that it's a poster representing the UN so it would or should reflect multiple languages.
But I found a video on American sign for "Dove" and "Peace" and it doesn't seem to match any of the hands on the poster.

If anyone can help me out it's greatly appreciated, thank you.

I'm trying to understand this poster by Milton Glaser:

At first I assumed it was American sign language spelling out "Peace Works" but now I don't think so. Then I thought that maybe it was saying "Dove" or "Peace" in different sign languages, especially considering that it's a poster representing the UN so it would or should reflect multiple languages.
But I found a video on American sign for "Dove" and "Peace" and it doesn't seem to match any of the hands on the poster.

This is not a poster about American Sign Language. It is a poster showing dove silhouettes in a way that the hand is the body, the fingers represent the wing and tail feathers, and the thumb represents the neck. Some handshapes are used in ASL, others are not. It is an artistic piece reminiscent of a significant part of sign languages.

Thank you for the response. I was ignorant about sign language but had heard before that it was considered a "universal" language, and after looking up more information regarding this image, that's not that case. ASL vs BSL for example as I'm finding out about.
It's interesting to find out that some hand shapes that appear in the image are used in ASL though.

Thanks again.

Would you be able to include some forums on Deaf discrimination? In my opinion a lot of what I have learned to be considered discrimination is just hearing people like me trying to be kind, so I was hoping someone would elaborate on that and some other topics surrounding discrimination.

Hi, I'm doing a project on Deaf culture and focusing on sign language. Can you answer these questions please?

Have you ever taught a deaf person sign language before, if so, how was it different from teaching hearing people?

Sign language is a very intricate language, if a person dedicates themselves, how long would you estimate it to take for them to be able to communicate comfortably with it. Why?

Having starting to learn how to sign, I’ve noticed that sign language does not
use state of being words like am, is, be, the, a, or an. Can you explain why?

Sign language is a very expressive language, the meaning can change based on hand position, speed, or facial expression, do you think that this expressive language changes deaf people’s personalities?

Like english, sign language is always developing and new signs are always coming into play, do you know how newly developed signs are spread?

I notice that a lot of signs require use of both hands and a lot of movement, doesn’t this become inconvenient, say if your hands are holding something, is there a way to still communicate with one hand or less movement?

Are there different dialects in sign language or for a lack of a better word, different accents. In spoken languages, people who speak the same language but come from different language speak the language differently. It this true for sign language as well.

How much do you know about teaching deaf children sign language. Do you know any popular techniques which are usually utilized?

Since sign language is very different grammatically from spoken english. Do you think deaf people have a harder time reading. I’m curious how they read without knowing what the words would sound like.

Is reading lips a thing in the deaf community? Are there people who refused to learn sign language and got by just by reading lips?

If you gave a deaf person the option to hear for a day, do you think they would take it? Why?

Do you have any deaf friends who have a job that would normally require hearing. Can you share their story of how they can do it?

hello everyone all.

I am Deaf as student in pres college, what like course in computer graphics and cookery, bakery as good life my goal become success for waiting. how i did i feeling myself patience, if that i can do its or a good make to project of skill for work. i have a study for all hard that course real experience in everyday don't give up so still many time.

yourself idea for opinion to able yourself advise :)

thanks so much

Hi! I'm taking my first ASL class this year. I was given a research assignment and chose the topic of hearing dogs/service dogs. Does anyone here have any information or any opinions on hearing dogs? It would be very helpful!

Hello all,
A bit of an unusual student request here. I am an English major working on a research paper regarding Tribes, a play by Nina Raine. It is about a Deaf character, his hearing family, and his CODA girlfriend who is losing her hearing herself. I am focusing on the aforementioned Deaf character and doing a character analysis on him while applying postcolonial criticism to it and seeking to analyze the presence of audism in the play.

I was hoping someone here might be willing to answer some of my questions regarding Deaf culture and Deaf relationships in a sort of interview fashion! No familiarity with the aforementioned play is needed!

#1. How do you feel about the portrayal of Deaf and Hard of Hearing characters in media such as television or books? Do you feel it is accurate, or that it captures Deafness as it relates to a whole person?

#2. How do you relate to your hearing family members? Do you feel connected to them, or that they understand you?

#3. In Tribes, the Deaf character, Billy, in a hearing family eventually becomes so disillusioned with his hearing family and their constant dismissal of the Deaf world, he begins to refuse to speak to them unless they learn British Sign Language. Do you feel this sort of thing is accurate or does it resonate on any level?

Thank you!

Hello all,

#3. In Tribes, the Deaf character, Billy, in a hearing family eventually becomes so disillusioned with his hearing family and their constant dismissal of the Deaf world, he begins to refuse to speak to them unless they learn British Sign Language. Do you feel this sort of thing is accurate or does it resonate on any level?

I am not deaf, but in my ASL class I watched a documentary where a deaf child lived his entire life with a mother who would not learn to sign. He told his family he wanted them to learn ASL so they could communicate. They never did. He goes on to say that on his mother's death bed, she still talked to him saying something as he could see her lips moving, but all he was thinking was "I can't hear you." The mom passed and he was saying how sad it was for him not to be able to talk to his mom.

Hi everyone!

I am trying to understand how deaf and hoh students really cope with universities in the us:

How is your tipical day?
Is there someone helping you?
Do you get aid from tools? How do you use them?
What can you do when you have problems?
Is your university helping you? And your professors?
What you think can improve your experience?

Would trully appreciate your answers.

Back