Students, Your questions answered here.

Bottesini

Old Deaf Ranter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Onward with our education campaign. As so many questions seem to be asked over and over again, each week by students eager to learn about the deaf, This thread will be devoted to compiling a list of common questions .

Hopefully the new people asking can just be directed here.

These are just a start, and more will be added. :)

Yay, Botti! You students don't know how lucky you are to have these topics pulled together for you.

Yay, Botti! You students don't know how lucky you are to have these topics pulled together for you.

As we work to find out the most frequent questions, more themes will be added in here. :)

But, won't there still be the mavericks that insist on having a thread all to themselves; as if their questions are markedly different from the previous ones? Seems that most of these one time posters don't look around, they just create a thread and wait for someone to do their work.

But, won't there still be the mavericks that insist on having a thread all to themselves; as if their questions are markedly different from the previous ones? Seems that most of these one time posters don't look around, they just create a thread and wait for someone to do their work.

Well, that's what we hope to fix. With luck, we can get their threads merged here to cut down on all the extraneous posts on the same subject.

Well, that's what we hope to fix. With luck, we can get their threads merged here to cut down on all the extraneous posts on the same subject.

Yes, the principle is excellent. Hope it works like a funnel.

You mean like the one I did with links for learning ASL, but yet people are still creating links and asking even though mine is sticky as well, huh?

Gotta laugh over that.

Botti - you do great work!!

Hello everyone, my name is Paige. I am a Medical Billing and Coding student and have been recently learning how cultural, physical, mental, and emotional barriers affect communication in the healthcare setting. As patients in healthcare, I would like to know direct experiences from you guys. If one or more of you would please give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Not only will it further my learning about others but it will help me communicate better once I graduate and enter the healthcare field.

Hello everyone, my name is Paige. I am a Medical Billing and Coding student and have been recently learning how cultural, physical, mental, and emotional barriers affect communication in the healthcare setting. As patients in healthcare, I would like to know direct experiences from you guys. If one or more of you would please give me some insight I would greatly appreciate it. Not only will it further my learning about others but it will help me communicate better once I graduate and enter the healthcare field.

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-disabilities-act/93320-doctor-no-interpreter.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-disabilities-act/96741-no-interpreter-provided-how-proceed.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-disabilities-act/91781-interpreter-doctor-appointment.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...-health-care-refuses-provide-interpreter.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...uing-hospital-taking-interpreter-away-me.html

http://www.alldeaf.com/american-dis...ctors-office-refused-provide-interpreter.html

Bottesini, I find your links that you posted interesting and has lead me to want to ask another question if you don't mind. Is it preferred to have an interpreter provided for you automatically or would you prefer to request one? I know some people may be offended that it is assumed that are unable to communicate without an interpreter while others feel uncomfortable asking for one to begin with.

Bottesini, I find your links that you posted interesting and has lead me to want to ask another question if you don't mind. Is it preferred to have an interpreter provided for you automatically or would you prefer to request one? I know some people may be offended that it is assumed that are unable to communicate without an interpreter while others feel uncomfortable asking for one to begin with.

An interpreter usually isn't provided automatically. I would just be nice if one was actually provided when requested.

I can actually provide an answer as to why that is. There are some insurance companies that cover interpretation services. There is a hotline that patients can call before they go to their appointment where they will send out an interpreter for you. If a healthcare provider calls this hotline directly, then the interpretation hotline bills the provider directly. If the patient calls, the hotline will bill the patient's insurance.

A lot of providers do not provide interpreters because of these standards. The insurance companies do not reimburse the healthcare providers enough money to cover the full cost of the interpretation services. Because of this, healthcare providers actually lose a lot of money providing these services directly.

I personally suggest finding out about these hotlines if you have not already and see if your insurance company follows these standards.

I can actually provide an answer as to why that is. There are some insurance companies that cover interpretation services. There is a hotline that patients can call before they go to their appointment where they will send out an interpreter for you. If a healthcare provider calls this hotline directly, then the interpretation hotline bills the provider directly. If the patient calls, the hotline will bill the patient's insurance.

A lot of providers do not provide interpreters because of these standards. The insurance companies do not reimburse the healthcare providers enough money to cover the full cost of the interpretation services. Because of this, healthcare providers actually lose a lot of money providing these services directly.

I personally suggest finding out about these hotlines if you have not already and see if your insurance company follows these standards.
It is not the patient's responsibility.

You're right, it should not be the patient's responsibility. I mean, they provide Spanish-speaking employees for the patients who speak only Spanish, so they should provide that for everyone, right?

Perhaps there isn't enough advocacy for the equal treatment of the deaf community like there is for say...immigration laws. I'm not saying I agree with this (the exact opposite actually, I abhorr this whole "equal treatment for some and not others" society we live in), I'm saying that there needs to be more discussion surrounding this issue. Not just within the deaf community, but within our society as a whole. And that, I believe, starts with personal education. Whether that be through personal research, or as I have chosen, speaking with someone directly who has experience in a particular situation.

I hope you understand, I was merely trying to provide an explanation and even a possible solution in regards to interpreters in the healthcare field.

Visualising everyday sounds

Hello,

I am a graphic designer and at the moment I am looking at developing a project in relation to representing visually the sounds present in everyday environments.
I want to create animations over the top of video footage that creates a visual 'soundscape' which both reflects origin and type of sounds and their dominance/volume in a space.

The kind of environments I would like to focus on are those of the everyday, for example, the kitchen at home, a garden, a coffee shop, the street etc.

My hope for the project is that it would help to communicate, without words, these sounds to deaf people.

However, I appreciate there are some basic questions I have to address first, 2 of which are:

- Would this visualization of everyday sounds be something that a deaf person would want or be interested in?

- If so are there any specific environments or sounds that you would be interested in seeing?

Any opinions or advice anyone could offer me would be really useful to me and very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)

Back