Static electricity Shocks might affect cochlear implant

Discussion in 'Hearing Aids & Cochlear Implants' started by krazykatkitty, Jun 12, 2009.

  1. krazykatkitty

    krazykatkitty New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Otago, New Zealand
    I wonder what happen if the CI user touch the fence on a farm by a static electricity and it will damage the implant or cochlea? Is that possible?
     
  2. overthepond

    overthepond New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 3, 2008
    Messages:
    2,078
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Great Britain
    It may. I had fair few shocks from it and it's not nice at all!! I had a shock ONCE with my CI, I went to metal gate and touch it to get rid of the "charge" and checked my processor it was ok.. Phew.
    I spoke to audi about this, she said try not to go under them again! so i obeyed her and changed our horse's electric fencing system and installed a switch on to the electronic fence so i can switch off the electric when i go into the field.
     
  3. Lighthouse77

    Lighthouse77 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Messages:
    4,166
    Likes Received:
    0
    it probably will erase your mapping just it would do if a static shock does to a computer harddrive.

    I had to get my audi to replace the mapping several times all because I was taking clothes out of the dryer. we are allergic to fabric softener.
     
  4. krazykatkitty

    krazykatkitty New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2009
    Messages:
    349
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Otago, New Zealand
    Thanks Guys....
     
  5. CrazyOne

    CrazyOne New Member

    Joined:
    May 2, 2009
    Messages:
    119
    Likes Received:
    0
    No. They are designed to withstand these types of things. I mean dont make a habit of touching electric fences but all active implantable devices must have levels of electric shock protection that it is likely to see unless contra-indicated.

    C1
     
  6. sr171soars

    sr171soars New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    Messages:
    2,699
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    Agreed. Implants have a "groundwire" in them to dissipate the charge.
     
  7. Lighthouse77

    Lighthouse77 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Messages:
    4,166
    Likes Received:
    0
    i wish that was true... but loss of mapping happened to me several times due to static shock. Unless you are referring to a different type of shock.
     
  8. Hollisterbabe7

    Hollisterbabe7 New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2005
    Messages:
    987
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Neverland
    That's true... I get static shocks all the time from the airport gates, and get shocked from other people when tapping on the shoulder. It was so annoying. You CI guys got to be careful with the static shocks.
     
  9. deafskeptic

    deafskeptic Active Member Premium Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Messages:
    14,495
    Likes Received:
    0
    There's a very small likelihood that most people with CIs will come across anything that will generate enough static energy to wipe a map on your CI. You can simply get your CI remapped.

    Besides as other mentioned, CIs are "grounded".
     
  10. sr171soars

    sr171soars New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2005
    Messages:
    2,699
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Raleigh, NC
    There seems to be some confusion on this issue.

    Yes, there are two different shocks being mentioned throughout this thread. The first is simply static shock which can wipe out maps. While that is possible, it really doesn't happen all that much. Maybe certain folks are more likely to deal with this situation. It has never happened to me in the 4 plus years I had my CI. I have been in circumstances where the potential of such a thing could have happened but did not.

    The second kind of shock is a more serious one that where damage to the implant itself or injury or death may be involved. That is what I meant by the "grounded" bit. The implant is grounded to reduce the chances that a severe shock could damage it. This is not to say it couldn't happen but the odds are slim to none. Technically, this will be either when an accident occurs or somebody has a death wish.
     
  11. MoonDrifter

    MoonDrifter New Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2009
    Messages:
    1,134
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Hillsboro
    If it's possible, don't shock yourself. The CI and processor is delicate regardless of their tolerance levels.
     
  12. coolgirlspyer90

    coolgirlspyer90 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    Messages:
    1,672
    Likes Received:
    0
    I have never gotten shocked with my cochlear implant on. I always tell everybody that i can't get shocked by static electricity because it will hurt my cochlear implant. And my fellow classmates and teachers understood. And during the winter (alot) i would get staticky on my chairs and my interpreter would have me excused from class to get sprayed by static guard on my clothes and sometimes my hair. (i have thick hair) and sometimes my chair if its really staticky.

    My dad and my mom and my sister always touch something metal like a doorknob or the car to make the static disappear.

    But it is a GOOD IDEA to keep a static guard can with you at work or at school or at home. You can also get a traveling static guard can in your purse or book bag or in whatever. SO that way if you feel that you're going to get shocked you can use that. It helps and it works
     
  13. pedroc

    pedroc New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello everyone!

    I'm writing this message on behalf of a friend of mine who is hearing impaired and is interested in using a cochlear equipment. However, there are some questions about the safety of the device for his hearing and his health due to his profession that he would like clarify.

    He is a low, medium and high voltage electrician and has to work with electrical devices and cables on a daily basis and he is wondering if the implant would be damaged in case of electic shocks of this nature (that are highly frequent in his line of work) or if there is real danger for his health in case of any short circuit that might occur with the device, for example. Is there any voltage range that he would have to be careful with when working with electricity or any other equipment that he could wear together with the device at work that would help prevent any possibly hazard to the cochlear device or his well-being?

    Thanks!

    Pedro
     
  14. deafgal001

    deafgal001 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2010
    Messages:
    2,539
    Likes Received:
    0
    who knows, but I know for one thing, he'll probably have to deal with alot of remapping with his processor because static will erase the data. But as far as internal cochlear implant itself, dunno. I know it is probably dangerous for someone with a pacemaker to be involve in this sort of field but I think it is because it keep the heart beating while cochlear implant is not a lifesaving device. to be truthful, there is no record that I am aware of that someone died of electrical stock because of CI.
    if he determined to have CI and still work in that sort of field, he could even dispute the fact that CI is unsafe but it sound very risky. who knows?
     
  15. PowerON

    PowerON Active Member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2007
    Messages:
    11,268
    Likes Received:
    7
    Location:
    37.5, 126.9
    Probably worst part when person with CI get shot by cop with taser gun.
     
  16. posts from hell

    posts from hell New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2004
    Messages:
    9,375
    Likes Received:
    1

Share This Page

Looking to buy hearing aids online? Check out Hearex.com