States refusing federal bailout money

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkdog

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of my governor, Rick Perry, at least until now. I just came across this article that he and South Carolina governor, Mark Sanford, wrote for the Wall Street Journal last month. The only other governor I know that is refusing to ask for bailout money is Sarah Palin from Alaska.

I'm not sure about South Carolina and Alaska, but Texas has no state income tax. How are all these other states with their state income taxes and high corporate taxes screwing up so badly?

As governors and citizens, we've grown increasingly concerned over the past weeks as Washington has thrown bailout after bailout at the national economy with little to show for it.

In the process, the federal government is not only burying future generations under mountains of debt. It is also taking our country in a very dangerous direction -- toward a "bailout mentality" where we look to government rather than ourselves for solutions. We're asking other governors from both sides of the political aisle to join with us in opposing further federal bailout intervention for three reasons.

First, we're crossing the Rubicon with regard to debt.

One fact that's been continually glossed over in the bailout debate is that Washington doesn't have money in hand for any of these proposals. Every penny would be borrowed. Estimates for what the government is willing to spend on bailouts and stimulus efforts for this year reach as much as $7.7 trillion according to Bloomberg.com -- a full half of the United States' yearly economic output.

With all the zeroes in the numbers, it's no wonder Washington politicians have lost track.

That trillion-dollar figure is the tip of the iceberg when it comes to checks written by the federal government that it can't cash. Former U.S. Comptroller General David Walker puts our nation's total debt and unpaid promises, like Social Security, at roughly $52 trillion -- an invisible mortgage of $450,000 on every American household. Borrowing money to "solve" a problem created by too much debt seems odd. And as fiscally conservative Republicans, we take no pleasure in pointing out that many in our own party have been just as complicit in running up the tab as those on the political left.

Second, the bailout mentality threatens Americans' sense of personal responsibility.

In a free-market system, competition and one's own personal stake motivate people to do their best. In this process, the winners create wealth, jobs and new investment, while others go back to the drawing board better prepared to try again.

To an unprecedented degree, government is currently picking winners and losers in the private marketplace, and throwing good money after bad. A prudent investor takes money from low-yield investments and puts them in those that yield better returns. Recent government intervention is doing the opposite -- taking capital generated from productive activities and throwing it at enterprises that in many cases need to reorganize their business model.

Take for example the proposed Big Three auto-maker bailout. We think it's very telling that each of the three CEO's flew on their own private jets to Washington to ask for a taxpayer handout. No amount of taxpayer largess could fix a business culture so fundamentally flawed.

Third, we'd ask the federal government to stop believing it has all the answers.

Our Founding Fathers were clear and deliberate in setting up a system whereby the federal government would only step in for that which states cannot do themselves. An expansionist federal government of the last century has moved us light-years away from that model, but it doesn't mean that Congress can't learn from states that are coming up with solutions that work.

In Texas and South Carolina, we've focused on improving "soil conditions" for businesses by cutting taxes, reforming our legal system and our workers' compensation system. We'd humbly suggest that Congress take a page from those playbooks by focusing on targeted tax relief paid for by cutting spending, not by borrowing.

In the rush to do "something" to help, federal leaders would be wise to take a line from the Hippocratic Oath, and pledge to do no (more) harm to our country's finances. We can weather this storm if we commit to fiscal prudence and hold true to the values of individual freedom and responsibility that made our nation great.

Mr. Perry, a Republican, is the governor of Texas. Mr. Sanford, a Republican, is the governor of South Carolina.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122818170073571049.html

South Carolina does have a state income tax.

:ty: again Reba. I looked it up and Alaska has no state income tax. I should point out these are the three states I know for sure are not asking for a federal bailout. There may be others.

:ty: again Reba. I looked it up and Alaska has no state income tax. I should point out these are the three states I know for sure are not asking for a federal bailout. There may be others.

FL don't have state income tax.

"Every retailer in the state of Texas is required to collect sales tax. Certain items are tax-free, such as bread or milk, but nearly everything else we need on a daily basis is taxed at the time of purchase."

Calculate Local Sales Tax in Texas

Sales tax and state income tax are two different things.

Alaskans residents do earn some sort of tax return from the oil pipeline? Don't they?

Just wondering.

Yep, Texas has no income tax, but they do have a sales tax.

All states have a sales tax. It differs only in what some states exempt from sales tax, and in the amount. The discussion was over the fact that the states that are refusing federal bailout money were the ones with no state income tax.

Maybe that is the reason why certain states don't qualify for the bailout.

They have their own resources and money.

:dunno: just a thought.

These states have no state sales tax:

Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon
HawaII

Sales taxes in the United States

Alaska

By Bankrate.com

Alaska is the only state that does not collect state sales tax or levy an individual income tax on any type of personal income, either earned or unearned. To finance state operations, Alaska depends primarily on petroleum revenues. Some of its cities and other local jurisdictions, however, do collect sales tax revenue. More on Alaska taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below.

Alaska state taxes

However, cities are also free to charge local sales taxes.

The point is, sales taxes have nothing to do with whether the states refusing federal bailout money have in common that they do not levy a state income tax.

Alaska

By Bankrate.com

Alaska is the only state that does not collect state sales tax or levy an individual income tax on any type of personal income, either earned or unearned. To finance state operations, Alaska depends primarily on petroleum revenues. Some of its cities and other local jurisdictions, however, do collect sales tax revenue. More on Alaska taxes can be found in the tabbed pages below.

Alaska state taxes

However, cities are also free to charge local sales taxes.

The point is, sales taxes have nothing to do with whether the states refusing federal bailout money have in common that they do not levy a state income tax.

All those states I mentioned have no state sales tax!! A city imposing a sales tax is not a statewide sales tax or a state sales tax.

Please see:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_taxes_in_the_United_States

Then debate that with the author of this thread. he is the one who mentioned the stuff about states refussing bailouts.

All those states I mentioned have no state sales tax!! A city imposing a sales tax is not a statewide sales tax or a state sales tax.

Please read the bolded statement again. I hve linked to a reference, if you are interested. And again, sales tax has absolutely nothing to do with the discussion at hand.

Then debate that with the author of this thread. That is the one who brought up the stuff about there being no sales tax in some states that are refusing to request a bailout.

No he didn't. He brought up the issue of no state income tax. That is different than no state sales tax. That is the whole point I am making.

This is from the OP:
I'm not sure about South Carolina and Alaska, but Texas has no state income tax. How are all these other states with their state income taxes and high corporate taxes screwing up so badly?

Alaska

By Bankrate.com

Alaska is the only state that does not collect state sales tax

Also from bankrate.com

"Oregon has no sales tax."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Ore.asp

"Delaware does not assess a sales tax on consumers."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Dela.asp?caret=1e

"Montana has no sales tax at either the state or local levels."

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_Mont.asp?caret=1e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back