SSI Overpayment

Why are you quote their long one to make this page so long than ever to scroll? :eek3:
In case they removed any part of it.

I get tired of people editing when I point out their foibles.

It is my hobby!! :nana:

We dont have SSI/SSDi but we do have Disability Living Allowance(DLA) which is for people need more help than people their own age. e.g extra help in the night due to unable to hear smoke alarms etc so they give you monthly beneift to be able to buy equipment and stuff for your disability. we also have incapacity benfit for people who cannot work

My issue with SSI overpayment has solved after had conference at SSA office and waived from overpayment.

SSA overpayment

$21,000? holy crap :shock:

Hi I read your message that I want to hear your story. Is SSA still want you to pay owe for overpayment? If do so, please tell us your story. I work with case worker for congress office. He is interested to hear that will help deaf to make SSA reforms better to help them to get waive and get better job training or help their lives better that can be affordable. Please anyone has problem with SSA. Let me know to get their story.

My dad put on his SS when I was younger and when I got a job I called the SS office and told them I had job. I was told work a few weeks then bring in my pay stubs so they could see how much I was making. I did this I when the the SS Office and brought my pay stubs and was told if would be hearing from then one way or any other if I would still get my checks or get less money. A couple months later I was still getting my SS checks and thought great I can work and get my SS checks. A year later I get a letter saying I was OVER PAID and that i never told them I was working! The guy I saw never filed my case and he was no longer working at the SS Office. The bastard! So I called my state rep office and his assistance took my case
pro bono! And I won the case!

Hmm - I'd have to take my dad as the witness when he and I go to the SSA office when I get a job and WARN them to immediately take me off or else my dad and I will sue the SSA into oblivion - I'd never want to pay all that back.

Thanks, "whatdidyousay!" for the advice.

If you have a job already. all you can do is to return the SSA checks back to SSA they will stop sending you the checks. :) if its the direct deposit then write the check and send them back anyway.

Hmm - I'd have to take my dad as the witness when he and I go to the SSA office when I get a job and WARN them to immediately take me off or else my dad and I will sue the SSA into oblivion - I'd never want to pay all that back.

It is best to resolve the dispute with SSA or third party before sue in the court.

My relative and I resolved the dispute and it worked very well, also if you get SSA check so just give back to SSA office or ask bank to take SSA out of direct deposit.

Get something in writing when you go to the SSA Office to prove that you been there and make copies of every things you to plan to give the SSA Office so you'll have a record of what you brought with you and get the person's name and write it down with the day and time you saw them. I went way over the SS Office head by having my state rep handle my case. My dad was not alive when this happen and his lawyer who was a state rep was dead too. The state rep was one of dad best friend. I call my state rep a lot to get to know their Chief of Staff then they're more likely to help me. And it worked!

Get something in writing when you go to the SSA Office to prove that you been there and make copies of every things you to plan to give the SSA Office so you'll have a record of what you brought with you and get the person's name and write it down with the day and time you saw them. I went way over the SS Office head by having my state rep handle my case. My dad was not alive when this happen and his lawyer who was a state rep was dead too. The state rep was one of dad best friend. I call my state rep a lot to get to know their Chief of Staff then they're more likely to help me. And it worked!

Interesting. I just told my dad abt it and he said he'll help me in case that happens. :)

Yes I did-- a long time ago, when I owed over $7,000 total to the Feds, and it took years to pay that off, which I finally did a few years back. Now I have a signed contract that states they agree not to overcharge me again in the future, and I haven't had any further problems since then.

I have the same problem. I had a job and always report to SSA and SSDI that I got jobs. I didn't get overpayment. I got married to my hubby. I had report to SS office they I'm married and ask for a new SS card with change the last name. I need to info them to report the SSA. Two years later in 2010. After my son's born in March, I got filled the application SSI for my son. The clerk said bad news I will have no long benefit for SSI and I have to owe them 29k. That is bullshit! The federal said it was from Obama to cut the ssdi benefit for all deaf. I got pissed off. My hubby and I struggle to get ssi for my son and ssdi for myself. I received its small amounts. Fk that! I have to wait for my husband to be finish with college and find a best job. I could run my own small business to earn the money. I will not need the SSI or SSD in the future.

I have the same problem. I had a job and always report to SSA and SSDI that I got jobs. I didn't get overpayment. I got married to my hubby. I had report to SS office they I'm married and ask for a new SS card with change the last name. I need to info them to report the SSA. Two years later in 2010. After my son's born in March, I got filled the application SSI for my son. The clerk said bad news I will have no long benefit for SSI and I have to owe them 29k. That is bullshit! The federal said it was from Obama to cut the ssdi benefit for all deaf. I got pissed off. My hubby and I struggle to get ssi for my son and ssdi for myself. I received its small amounts. Fk that! I have to wait for my husband to be finish with college and find a best job. I could run my own small business to earn the money. I will not need the SSI or SSD in the future.

:Ohno: Are you stuck with $29k debt, or are you fighting to reduce the amount you owe to SSI?
How did you inform SSA? Through in a person at SS office or phone?

I think SSA screwed it up, regardless on presidents and Obama didn't change the SS law, nor is the congress too, but SSA has major problem - A LOT of bureaucracy.

You should get a lawyer to fight against SSA and if you have a strong ground so you can win in the court, so the judge force SSA to fix the flaws.

My SSI went messed up when GWB was president, but I fought so hard and got fixed it. The president hasn't anything to say about SS and the SS law hasn't change, except for health care reform (unrelated to deafness).

My biggest advice: NEVER call SSA on phone when you are trying to report any changes to your income or martial status - you should appear at SSA office.

:Ohno: Are you stuck with $29k debt, or are you fighting to reduce the amount you owe to SSI?
How did you inform SSA? Through in a person at SS office or phone?

Through in a person at office. I don't trust to use phone. It wasted my time to wait for long time. It was happened in 2010. I contacted to DeafLink to get help right hire the lawyer. I had re evaluate through opthtamologist to be proof that I'm ushers syndrome. The overpayment is dismissed in 2011. I'm still taking small amount money. I'm doing sell my craft and jewelry to make money.

I think SSA screwed it up, regardless on presidents and Obama didn't change the SS law, nor is the congress too, but SSA has major problem - A LOT of bureaucracy.

You should get a lawyer to fight against SSA and if you have a strong ground so you can win in the court, so the judge force SSA to fix the flaws.

My SSI went messed up when GWB was president, but I fought so hard and got fixed it. The president hasn't anything to say about SS and the SS law hasn't change, except for health care reform (unrelated to deafness).

I did that I won. The judge said overpayment is dismissed. Thank god!

Back