SSI Overpayment

This is just a general response. I have heard of some deaf folks who get into these sorts of problems coming up what they consider a great solution: Because, oftentimes, one sees different/contradictory responses/decisions from caseworkers even within the same agency, the supposed solution is to VP national headquarters, clearly explain your problem that results in a satisfactory decision. Then national will directly communicate your situation and it's decision to your nearest agency.

Yes, I have a problem too. Foxrac, thanks for this!

Well... Before I got my first job, I didn't apply for SSI or SSDI or anyhting. I depended on my mom's money for a while cos I didn't want SSI or anything. When I got my job in 2005, I never asked for SSI or SSDI and I prefered my own paycheck that I worked for. Last summer, I quitted my job and I still had my money in paycheck until it was almost out of money. Now I applied SSDI last Fall and while I am still seeking a new job... I didn't know until I got a mail from SSI. They claimed that I owned them more than five thousands dollars from 2006 to present. That is so bull!! I never apply it for that until Fall 2008. :( At the first thing on my thought, I thought it's a spam or something. So I talked with my mom and told me she will ask for some help. We hoped it is just a spam so I keep it as in case... until I saw this... I guess my mail is not a spam by then...

But but but why I have to pay over $5,000 to SSI place from 2006 to present WHEN I don't apply it until Fall 2008??? I don't understand. :( Next week, I will try to meet in person at the place... to find out what it is. Sighs.

Well... Before I got my first job, I didn't apply for SSI or SSDI or anyhting. I depended on my mom's money for a while cos I didn't want SSI or anything. When I got my job in 2005, I never asked for SSI or SSDI and I prefered my own paycheck that I worked for. Last summer, I quitted my job and I still had my money in paycheck until it was almost out of money. Now I applied SSDI last Fall and while I am still seeking a new job... I didn't know until I got a mail from SSI. They claimed that I owned them more than five thousands dollars from 2006 to present. That is so bull!! I never apply it for that until Fall 2008. :( At the first thing on my thought, I thought it's a spam or something. So I talked with my mom and told me she will ask for some help. We hoped it is just a spam so I keep it as in case... until I saw this... I guess my mail is not a spam by then...

But but but why I have to pay over $5,000 to SSI place from 2006 to present WHEN I don't apply it until Fall 2008??? I don't understand. :( Next week, I will try to meet in person at the place... to find out what it is. Sighs.

If you did not apply any SSI or SSDI in 2006 or 2007. Then you first time applied SSI or SSDI in fall 2008. that does not make sense to me.

i suggest you to ask them to show you the application that you did or did not apply in 2006 or 2007 to make sure if you forget that you did apply without realizing that it was SS office? be sure to ask lots of quesitons to CR relating with your overpayment.

If you did not apply any SSI or SSDI in 2006 or 2007. Then you first time applied SSI or SSDI in fall 2008. that does not make sense to me.

i suggest you to ask them to show you the application that you did or did not apply in 2006 or 2007 to make sure if you forget that you did apply without realizing that it was SS office? be sure to ask lots of quesitons to CR relating with your overpayment.

It's 2006. Not 2007. :) No, I don't forget and it was right place. I went to there with some personal informations; history of paycheck from my former job, rent info, etc (I followed what requirement for SSDI) and I told them I never use SSI or anything but I need it... now, I got a mail last Jan or Dec... they claimed I own a lot of thousands from Spring 2006 to present. =/

Lot of questiosn may be good idea! I hope that helps for it.

Where is Puyo? I couldn't make to contact him over situation with SSI.

Did you got overpayment notice from SSA? They want you to owe over $5,000 to them?

Where is Puyo? I couldn't make to contact him over situation with SSI.

I'd not 'heard' from him or I don't see him on online yet. So I don't know..

Did you got overpayment notice from SSA? They want you to owe over $5,000 to them?

Yes, and yes. :(

Call for an appointment with the representative from the SSA office, but they should have asked you whether you need an ASL interpreter or not. It's ADA law to have an ASL interpreter to be presented to be there. The SSA office should know better than that. Or you can bring one of your family members with you as witness. Never, never, never go there alone because they trick you and also because there are misunderstandings between you and the representative. I have seen that often.
Again, tell them that you are requesting for an ASL interpreter and I wish you the best luck! :)

A friend of mine who graduated from Gallaudet 12 years ago. Guess what, SSDI Office sent him a letter that he owes 21,000 dollars. :shock: Oh dear, he was so pissed off. Why wait 12 years later ?

$21,000? holy crap :shock:

It did happened to me when I have the job and didn't tell the SSI anything, they caught me through the IRS and took about 50 to 70 dollars off my SSI check every month since I no longer work and it was hard time for me.

For your situation, I hate to call the SSI because most of the time it took so long for me to just ask something and when I get in touch, they made mistake. I prefer to walk in to ensure that it goes straight, also when I walk in, there are no mistakes that I found since I have the SSI.

That's all I can say, just my advice :)

THIS could happen to YOU....

THE FOLLOWING LETTERS FROM MY SENATORS AND CONGRESS PEOPLE ARE BEING INCLUDED FOR YOUR INFORMATION. PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND READ WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME:
THANK YOU
I was just told by an officer at SSI that there is a pending lawsuit pertaining to what is happening to me, but I am unable to find it anywhere. SSI has broken every one of THEIR own rules in regards to my case and told me moments ago that they have been directed by those above to WEED OUT as many people from the SSI roles as possible to save Social Security from collapse. I have full documentation of all of these steps and would love to have some assistance in making Social Security accountable in the future before many of us from the 60's and 70's are weeded out because of past offenses we are not even aware of any more.
Thank you,
Rick
Dear Mr. Carr:
Our office has been communicating with Representative Dammeier's office and have learned that Congressman Adam Smith's office is actively working on your issue. Since this is a federal matter, your best advocate with Social Security is indeed Congressman Smith and his very capable staff in the Tacoma office.
Our best wishes for a quick resolution to your situation.
Sincerely,
Mary L. Sherman
Legislative Assistant to Senator Jim Kastama
25th Legislative District
Olympia Office:
Suite 235 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40425
Olympia WA 98504-0425
360-786-7648
District Office:
107 West Stewart Suite E
Puyallup WA 98371
253-840-4701
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:36 PM
To: Dammeier, Rep. Bruce
Cc: Morrell, Rep. Dawn; Kastama, Sen. Jim
Subject: I will be homeless in the next week or two and don't know what to do
HOUSE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE
SENATE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE
TO: Representative Bruce Dammeier
CC: Representative Dawn Morrell
Senator Jim Kastama
Puyallup, WA 98371
SUBJECT: I will be homeless in the next week or two and don't know what to do
My name is Rick Carr and I am 58 years old I have been declared by my Physicians to be 100% totally disabled. I spend much of my time in my wheelchair on prescribed pain medication and though I would love to be productive, I am unable to no matter how hard I try.
My reason for writing you is Social Security/Disability has completely cut off my benefits as of last month due to a mishap that took place in 1992. I was a Limousine Driver and picking up my clients at the Miami/Dade Airport when they pointed out several bags and stated them to be theirs and would I please retrieve them. Within moments of putting the bags in the Limo, I was arrested by the Police who were conducting a Sting Operation at the moment and was told I had taken a bag that was not mine. My clients tried to explain the bags were theirs, to no avail. I spent the night in jail and was bailed out the next morning. I appeared in court several weeks later and because of lack of funds was told by my Public Defender the best way to deal with this was to attend a series of classes which would satisfy the Court. I completed the course and went on with my life, completely unaware that the Lawyer had never filed the finished documents with the court in 1992.
Years later I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and severe Disc degeneration due to Osteonecrosis and after much difficulty I was granted SSI. Life has been painful and difficult since but at least I had a reasonable income and Medicare to help me through it until last month when I was informed by SSI that I had an outstanding Felony Warrant for my arrest and would not be paid any longer.
I immediately contacted the Miami Courts and the issue was resolved. This was all accomplished in a very timely matter and on March 6, 2009 the Judge quashed the warrant. I was cleared in 1992 and I have been informed by SSI that even though the charges were dropped and I have been completely exonerated that because the warrant was from 1992 that I would be charged an overpayment of $42,000 for those years I received any benefits and lose all of my future ones.
This leaves me begging my Brother for help and potentially homeless in the next several months without any means of income or medical care. I NEED help, desperately, to resolve this before my life becomes a complete disaster and I and my wheelchair are left to live on the street and beg for food. Please help me!
I am desperate!
I have followed through on everything I have been asked by SSI as well as DSHS and no matter what I do, I can't get any help from either of these agencies.
The courts in Florida have dismissed everything and the paperwork I received from them shows that I completed everything over 20 years ago and fall under EVERY guidline they have laid out:
1. The warrant for your arrest for the criminal offense was withdrawn.
2. The violation was both non-violent and not drug related.
3. I have not been convicted nor plead guilty to another felony crime since the date of the warrant.
4. The only existing warrant was issued 10 or more years ago.
5. My medical condition impairs my mental capacity to resolve the issue.
6. The law enforcement agency that issued the warrant is unwilling to act on it.
7. And, I have 12 months from the date of this letter to contact SSI.
I just don't und erstand why SSI has decided to cut me off COMPLETELY as I have a notorized letter from Bennett H. Brummer, Public Defender, eleventh judicial circuit court of Florida, dated March 20, 2009 that "...THIS WARRANT IS QUASHED & THE CASE WAS NOLLE PROSSE ON MARCH 6, 2009". I desperately contacted DSHS (Social Worker Rick Long/Puyallup Office) and even though my Doctor Seaholm in Tacoma has faxed them a clear statement that I am Totally Disabled, they just push the paper around and continue to ask for additional statements from him and even my Doctor is frustrated at this point.
Please help me, I have been without ANY income for over 3 months and if it weren't for my brother and sister in law I would be homeless in my wheelchair. I just don't know what to do anymore and have reached my end.
I am using my brothers fax to send you the updated information to show that I have done everything that is possible on my end.
Please help me
Rick Carr
Sincerely,
Rick Carr
Rick,
Since this is a federal issue, I took the liberty to contact the office of your federal Representative (Adam Smith) to ask them to look in to your case. I received confirmation that they are working hard to solve this issue.
If you have any comments or concerns regarding state issues, please do not hesitate to contact me again!
Sincerely,
Bruce Dammeier
Representative
Washington State House
Dammeier.Bruce@leg.wa.gov
360-786-7948
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 1:34:44 PM
Subject: Re: IMA MAIL ON WEBSSEC
Dear Rick,
Thank you for contacting Congressman Adam Smith in regards to to your issue with Social Security. It is likely that you will need to provide documentation of a quashed warrant.
Enclosed is a Privacy Release Form that needs to be completed and returned in order for our office to make an inquiry to establish the status of your case. Please return this form along with a concise description of your situation to:
Congressman Adam Smith
Attn: Tina Lee Johnson
2209 Pacific Ave., Suite B
Tacoma, WA 98402
Please understand that while we can assist you in bringing your case to the attention of the proper officials and guide you through the process, we cannot direct an agency to decide a matter in your favor.
If you have any questions during this inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me at the district office at (253)593-6600.
Sincerely,
Tina Lee Johnson
Constituent Services Representative
Office of Congressman Adam Smith
I have every letter on their letterhead and every correspondance since day 1 showing that I have followed every single request they have made concerning my case and yet Social Security still will not reverse their finding that I owe them every penny they have paid me since 2002 in the amount of $43,503.50 and am expected to repay Social Security and they will deduct it from my future benefits until it is repaid.
PLEASE, I NEED SOMEONE'S HELP OR MY LIFE IS OVER AND MY FUTURE IS SO BLEAK THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO REASON FOR ME TO LIVE OUT THE BALANCE MY LIFE IN THIS KIND OF DEBT, IN A WHEELCHAIR AND IN UNBELIEVABLE PAIN AND DEPRESSION...
Yours truly,
Rick Carr

THE FOLLOWING LETTERS FROM MY SENATORS AND CONGRESS PEOPLE ARE BEING INCLUDED FOR YOUR INFORMATION. PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND READ WHAT HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME:
THANK YOU
I was just told by an officer at SSI that there is a pending lawsuit pertaining to what is happening to me, but I am unable to find it anywhere. SSI has broken every one of THEIR own rules in regards to my case and told me moments ago that they have been directed by those above to WEED OUT as many people from the SSI roles as possible to save Social Security from collapse. I have full documentation of all of these steps and would love to have some assistance in making Social Security accountable in the future before many of us from the 60's and 70's are weeded out because of past offenses we are not even aware of any more.
Thank you,
Rick
Dear Mr. Carr:
Our office has been communicating with Representative Dammeier's office and have learned that Congressman Adam Smith's office is actively working on your issue. Since this is a federal matter, your best advocate with Social Security is indeed Congressman Smith and his very capable staff in the Tacoma office.
Our best wishes for a quick resolution to your situation.
Sincerely,
Mary L. Sherman
Legislative Assistant to Senator Jim Kastama
Olympia Office:
Suite 235 John A. Cherberg Building
PO Box 40425
Olympia WA 98504-0425
360-786-7648
District Office:
107 West Stewart Suite E
Puyallup WA 98371
253-840-4701
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 5:36 PM
To: Dammeier, Rep. Bruce
Cc: Morrell, Rep. Dawn; Kastama, Sen. Jim
Subject: I will be homeless in the next week or two and don't know what to do
HOUSE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE
SENATE INTERNET E-MAIL DELIVERY SERVICE
TO: Representative Bruce Dammeier
CC: Representative Dawn Morrell
Senator Jim Kastama
Puyallup, WA 98371
SUBJECT: I will be homeless in the next week or two and don't know what to do
My name is Rick Carr and I am 58 years old I have been declared by my Physicians to be 100% totally disabled. I spend much of my time in my wheelchair on prescribed pain medication and though I would love to be productive, I am unable to no matter how hard I try.
My reason for writing you is Social Security/Disability has completely cut off my benefits as of last month due to a mishap that took place in 1992. I was a Limousine Driver and picking up my clients at the Miami/Dade Airport when they pointed out several bags and stated them to be theirs and would I please retrieve them. Within moments of putting the bags in the Limo, I was arrested by the Police who were conducting a Sting Operation at the moment and was told I had taken a bag that was not mine. My clients tried to explain the bags were theirs, to no avail. I spent the night in jail and was bailed out the next morning. I appeared in court several weeks later and because of lack of funds was told by my Public Defender the best way to deal with this was to attend a series of classes which would satisfy the Court. I completed the course and went on with my life, completely unaware that the Lawyer had never filed the finished documents with the court in 1992.
Years later I was diagnosed with Hepatitis C and severe Disc degeneration due to Osteonecrosis and after much difficulty I was granted SSI. Life has been painful and difficult since but at least I had a reasonable income and Medicare to help me through it until last month when I was informed by SSI that I had an outstanding Felony Warrant for my arrest and would not be paid any longer.
I immediately contacted the Miami Courts and the issue was resolved. This was all accomplished in a very timely matter and on March 6, 2009 the Judge quashed the warrant. I was cleared in 1992 and I have been informed by SSI that even though the charges were dropped and I have been completely exonerated that because the warrant was from 1992 that I would be charged an overpayment of $42,000 for those years I received any benefits and lose all of my future ones.
This leaves me begging my Brother for help and potentially homeless in the next several months without any means of income or medical care. I NEED help, desperately, to resolve this before my life becomes a complete disaster and I and my wheelchair are left to live on the street and beg for food. Please help me!
I am desperate!
I have followed through on everything I have been asked by SSI as well as DSHS and no matter what I do, I can't get any help from either of these agencies.
The courts in Florida have dismissed everything and the paperwork I received from them shows that I completed everything over 20 years ago and fall under EVERY guidline they have laid out:
1. The warrant for your arrest for the criminal offense was withdrawn.
2. The violation was both non-violent and not drug related.
3. I have not been convicted nor plead guilty to another felony crime since the date of the warrant.
4. The only existing warrant was issued 10 or more years ago.
5. My medical condition impairs my mental capacity to resolve the issue.
6. The law enforcement agency that issued the warrant is unwilling to act on it.
7. And, I have 12 months from the date of this letter to contact SSI.
I just don't und erstand why SSI has decided to cut me off COMPLETELY as I have a notorized letter from Bennett H. Brummer, Public Defender, eleventh judicial circuit court of Florida, dated March 20, 2009 that "...THIS WARRANT IS QUASHED & THE CASE WAS NOLLE PROSSE ON MARCH 6, 2009". I desperately contacted DSHS (Social Worker Rick Long/Puyallup Office) and even though my Doctor Seaholm in Tacoma has faxed them a clear statement that I am Totally Disabled, they just push the paper around and continue to ask for additional statements from him and even my Doctor is frustrated at this point.
Please help me, I have been without ANY income for over 3 months and if it weren't for my brother and sister in law I would be homeless in my wheelchair. I just don't know what to do anymore and have reached my end.
I am using my brothers fax to send you the updated information to show that I have done everything that is possible on my end.
Please help me
Rick Carr
Sincerely,
Rick Carr
Rick,
Since this is a federal issue, I took the liberty to contact the office of your federal Representative (Adam Smith) to ask them to look in to your case. I received confirmation that they are working hard to solve this issue.
If you have any comments or concerns regarding state issues, please do not hesitate to contact me again!
Sincerely,
Bruce Dammeier
Representative
Washington State House
Dammeier.Bruce@leg.wa.gov
360-786-7948
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2009 1:34:44 PM
Subject: Re: IMA MAIL ON WEBSSEC
Dear Rick,
Thank you for contacting Congressman Adam Smith in regards to to your issue with Social Security. It is likely that you will need to provide documentation of a quashed warrant.
Enclosed is a Privacy Release Form that needs to be completed and returned in order for our office to make an inquiry to establish the status of your case. Please return this form along with a concise description of your situation to:
Congressman Adam Smith
Attn: Tina Lee Johnson
2209 Pacific Ave., Suite B
Tacoma, WA 98402
Please understand that while we can assist you in bringing your case to the attention of the proper officials and guide you through the process, we cannot direct an agency to decide a matter in your favor.
If you have any questions during this inquiry, please do not hesitate to contact me at the district office at (253)593-6600.
Sincerely,
Tina Lee Johnson
Constituent Services Representative
Office of Congressman Adam Smith
I have every letter on their letterhead and every correspondance since day 1 showing that I have followed every single request they have made concerning my case and yet Social Security still will not reverse their finding that I owe them every penny they have paid me since 2002 in the amount of $43,503.50 and am expected to repay Social Security and they will deduct it from my future benefits until it is repaid.
PLEASE, I NEED SOMEONE'S HELP OR MY LIFE IS OVER AND MY FUTURE IS SO BLEAK THERE IS VIRTUALLY NO REASON FOR ME TO LIVE OUT THE BALANCE MY LIFE IN THIS KIND OF DEBT, IN A WHEELCHAIR AND IN UNBELIEVABLE PAIN AND DEPRESSION...
Yours truly,
Rick Carr

Why are you sharing this in public with a bunch of strangers?

Your first post and only one was in public. I dont know if this belongs to your life. all you can do is to show the proof of your history in the past and let SSA decide to do with your OP. maybe they would deducts some of $$ from your SS if you are still receiving. if you arent' then if you are working then they will check your work history and your bills history then settle down on what amount of $ you can afford to pay back. thats how it goes for everyone. good luck

Back