ssi is being canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used to live near Northridge Mall (it's not there anymore).. what's your name?

Oh yea? Northridge Mall business is shut it down since a few years old, yea. Is that your real pix on it? if so then i never see your face before. By the way, My name is Jermale... how abt you?

Oh yea? Northridge Mall business is shut it down since a few years old, yea. Is that your real pix on it? if so then i never see your face before. By the way, My name is Jermale... how abt you?

jermale,

are you male or female?

yes -- northridge has been closed since 2003.

You think that "Signing Time" will allow me to be an appropriate language model for my child? Are you kidding me?
I live in Utah, there are ZERO classes for parents to learn ASL. I had to pay for 4 semesters of college to get to where I am today.
As for hearing aids and speech, yes, I suppose they aren't necessary, but why should MY child miss out because we don't make as much money as the next guy? She should suffer for it?

There are schools for the deaf in Utah. No one has to suffer nor did anyone suggest a person should.

Utah school for the deaf and blind
3098 South Highland Drive
Suite 205
Salt Lake City, UT
84106-1932
801-464-2000 Voice
801-464-2001 TDD
801-467-6411 FAX

Home - Utah Schools for the Deaf and the Blind

Central Region Deaf
public · PK-12 · 132 students
2870 Connor Street
Salt Lake City, UT 84109
(801) 464-0840
District: Utah Schools for Deaf & Blind

Jean Massieu School for the Deaf
public · PK-12 · 41 students
1350 W South Jordan Parkway
South Jordan, UT 84095
(801) 302-1900

North Region Deaf
public · PK-12 · 52 students
742 Harrison Blvd
Ogden, UT 84404
(801) 629-4700

South Region Blind
public · PK-4 · 11 students
242 S 350 E
Orem, UT 84058
(801) 224-6590

South Region Deaf
public · PK-12 · 38 students
424 S 350 E
Orem, UT 84058
(801) 224-6590

For the record, no parent of a deaf child should need social security simply because they would like their child to have hearing aids and speech therapy or because they cannot afford them things on there own.

Those things are a choice not a necessity! Hearing aids are actually, in most cases, considered prosthetic devices not a life necessity or something that is medically necessary.

I apologies for off topic! So, i guess i trying to find out about your situation because it's same to me when i got ssi was cutting off when i got a job... SSI Board thought that i was workin at full time and continue but that's untrue! I didn't know that my company was send to SS wit my information. By the way, i already asked my company to give them that i am current not workin. Right now, i am on unemployment because of there are not jobs available in my areas. I was asked SSI Board that i want to get SSI back.

For the record, no parent of a deaf child should need social security simply because they would like their child to have hearing aids and speech therapy or because they cannot afford them things on there own.

Those things are a choice not a necessity! Hearing aids are actually, in most cases, considered prosthetic devices not a life necessity or something that is medically necessary.

Since when is SSI restricted to being spent on prosthetic devises or medically necessary equipment? Is that what you spend all of your SSI money on?

Medicare and Medicaid pays for those items. SSI is intended to supplement the income of a parent who is struggling to raise a child with a disability and the added costs that creates for the family.

And, again, I find it very hypocritical that you would feel to be entitled to such assistance from SSI, but deny the same assistance to a child who has additional needs.

I think its kind of sad actually that some parents wont even raise their own child, financially speaking, just simply because the child has a disability.

Since when is SSI restricted to being spent on prosthetic devises or medically necessary equipment? Is that what you spend all of your SSI money on?

Medicare and Medicaid pays for those items. SSI is intended to supplement the income of a parent who is struggling to raise a child with a disability and the added costs that creates for the family.

And, again, I find it very hypocritical that you would feel to be entitled to such assistance from SSI, but deny the same assistance to a child who has additional needs.

There's already a thread on the medical insurance coverage of hearing aids.

http://www.alldeaf.com/hearing-aids-cochlear-implants/60673-insurance-will-pay-hearing-aids.html

Please go there to discuss that.

I think its kind of sad actually that some parents wont even raise their own child, financially speaking, just simply because the child has a disability.

It isn't a matter of "won't". It is a matter of needing assistance in order to do so. That comment is the same thing as saying "It's a shame deaf people won't work and support themselves and rely on assistance from the government."

Neither is true and both are judgemental and self serving.

It isn't a matter of "won't". It is a matter of needing assistance in order to do so. That comment is the same thing as saying "It's a shame deaf people won't work and support themselves and rely on assistance from the government."

Actually faire_jour brought it up not me. I was just simply responding as its my thread.

But anyways, I am not going to debate this with you. You were asked to stop, as was I, by a moderator.

Actually faire_jour brought it up not me. I was just simply responding as its my thread.

But anyways, I am not going to debate this with you. You were asked to stop, as was I, by a moderator.

I think Faire Jour brought it up because she has a deaf child who receives SSI. Because her child is a minor, however, it is received under the conservatorship of her parents. But the point is, the SSI is still dispersed under the child's name, and is for the child's benefit. I was just inquiring as to why one would believe that a deaf adult is entitled to SSI, but not a deaf child.

:mad2:

i was adopted and had a variety of health problems as a child. my parents (as foster parents) received a monthly check to help them with expenses related to my food, clothing and medical appointments. it's no different than ssi. please, let's stop being so judgemental, okay???

Mod's Note:

The thread is closed because again, it's going out of hand.

Frankly, I am seeing that happening a lot around here. It's got to be stopped.

Please, If one wants to refute their opinions, They are welcome to do so but do it accordingly.

Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back