ssi is being canceled?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ouch, shel. don't you think that's an unfair generalization you've made about those who receive ssi?

I am talking about those who purposely wont search for jobs or go to training or education for better skills so they can stay at home and get "free" money. The "free money" is their words, not mine. They think it is so cool to have free time all the time. Those are the people I am referring to and if they keep going around saying stuff like that, then people will become bitter towards them.

Try budgeting this stuff in instead of putting it off on the government, financially speaking, to raise your kids.

Isn't that a bit hypocritical from someone who has relied on SSI?

I am talking about those who purposely wont search for jobs or go to training or education for better skills so they can stay at home and get "free" money. The "free money" is their words, not mine. They think it is so cool to have free time all the time. Those are the people I am referring to and if they keep going around saying stuff like that, then people will become bitter towards them.

okay, i understand. it's just that your previous post did not indicate this. thanks for clarifying!

does it also indicate on the card that they receive medicaid or is that a given?

All the collums are listed under "medical coverage information". That's printed on the right side of the medical id card. There is the following collums in this order: Insurance, Medicare, HMO, Detox, Restriction, Hospice, DD clinet, Other. On the very top in the center it says "Medical Identification card".

All the collums are listed under "medical coverage information". That's printed on the right side of the medical id card. There is the following collums in this order: Insurance, Medicare, HMO, Detox, Restriction, Hospice, DD clinet, Other. On the very top in the center it says "Medical Identification card".

what you're describing is a medicare card -- not a medicaid card.

okay, i understand. it's just that your previous post did not indicate this. thanks for clarifying!

Sorry, I wasnt clear the first time. My bad!

Try budgeting this stuff in instead of putting it off on the government, financially speaking, to raise your kids.

So, when at 18 months I found out my child had a hearing loss, I should have started saving money to buy her hearing aids....Ok, 8 months later I can afford the nearly $4000 for her aids and she has missed out on almost a year of auditory development.
Next, we start to save so that we can take an ASL course. 6 months later we can pay the $1200 for ONE of us to attend ASL 101. My daughter is now nearly 3 and we are just starting to learn basic ASL.
Oops, now her loss has gotten worse and we need new aids. Guess she goes without for another year so we can save up $4000.
Did I mention that insurance doesn't cover speech therapy, so I guess she won't be getting that. Oh, and what about the thosands of batteries she will burn through? Sure hope she uses them slowly so we can save up.

So, when at 18 months I found out my child had a hearing loss, I should have started saving money to buy her hearing aids....Ok, 8 months later I can afford the nearly $4000 for her aids and she has missed out on almost a year of auditory development.
Next, we start to save so that we can take an ASL course. 6 months later we can pay the $1200 for ONE of us to attend ASL 101. My daughter is now nearly 3 and we are just starting to learn basic ASL.
Oops, now her loss has gotten worse and we need new aids. Guess she goes without for another year so we can save up $4000.
Did I mention that insurance doesn't cover speech therapy, so I guess she won't be getting that. Oh, and what about the thosands of batteries she will burn through? Sure hope she uses them slowly so we can save up.

Speech therapy is a choice not a necessity. Hearing aids are a choice as well. No deaf has to wear hearing aids.

Learning ASL is free at most deaf schools that encouraging signing. There are deaf schools that encouraging signing that are funded by the state they are in. Wsd is one example.

Heck, even signing time on pbs is free. Try watching signing time.

How about you relax? I was just simply stating a fact.

...with an exclamation piont at the end of it to show your annoyance with me.

by the way, i don't need to relax, thank you very much.

SSI in Ohio

I am on disability here in Ohio. I qualified because of OCD and Tourette's Syndrome. I believe than I CAN work, at least part-time. But my hearing problems and my Asperger's are NOT listed with the state. Neither is the PTSD, depression. or a possible learning disability. People have just written me off as "mentally ill" for several years in the system. Even though I am very intelligent and have a B.A. from a local university, "the system" has never found me a "real job." I have had better luck finding jobs on my own. But, I want a "real" job. Something that lasts. I fail to understand why the "rehab" people put a Deaf person in programs for Hearing people!:bsflag:

Speech therapy is a choice not a necessity. Hearing aids are a choice as well. No deaf has to wear hearing aids.

Learning ASL is free at most deaf schools that encouraging signing. There are deaf schools that encouraging signing that are funded by the state they are in. Wsd is one example.

Heck, even signing time on pbs is free. Try watching signing time.

You think that "Signing Time" will allow me to be an appropriate language model for my child? Are you kidding me?
I live in Utah, there are ZERO classes for parents to learn ASL. I had to pay for 4 semesters of college to get to where I am today.
As for hearing aids and speech, yes, I suppose they aren't necessary, but why should MY child miss out because we don't make as much money as the next guy? She should suffer for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back