SSDI/Unemployment benefits/big savings account?

pixiestix

Reaction score
I'm curious. I know this person who was just laid off from job after years of being there. The person just applied for ssdi and got it and is collecting unemployment benefits as well. The person also have a big savings account of over 15,000. dollars which the person refuses to touch.

Is this legal or considered a fraud?

I'm curious. I know this person who was just laid off from job after years of being there. The person just applied for ssdi and got it and is collecting unemployment benefits as well. The person also have a big savings account of over 15,000. dollars which the person refuses to touch.

I'm seriously doubt you can keep SSDI and unemployment check, depending on income, if you have too much unemployment check so no SSDI, but if you have little income from unemployment check so you will get some SSDI.

I don't know if it is fraud when you get too much unemployment check and SSDI at same time, but if SSA catches you so you have to pay all part of SSDI, it is called overpayment.

It is very important to tell an honest to caseworker who question you about SSDI.

Also, it is federal crime if you are lying to SSA caseworker, it is known as perjury.

treasury department would know right away. :ugh3: Just tell the truth so you would not have to deal to worry about it everyday.

Technically, you're not supposed to have $2,000 in your name.

It's possible to get away with it since they don't really ask for how much you have in your bank statement. But when they do, you could withdraw it all before letting them see the statement... but they would still see that you withdrew the money anyways.

So, the best way to do it would be to keep it all in cash at home... which is risky in case of fire or theft. :shock:

If you have a big savings account, you still able to apply SSI/SSDI. I know many of my friends have huge savings, and they keep collecting SSI/SSDI, but they often disqualify for FOOD STAMPS. By the way, I would highly encourage for that person to find a job.

Technically, you're not supposed to have $2,000 in your name.

It's possible to get away with it since they don't really ask for how much you have in your bank statement. But when they do, you could withdraw it all before letting them see the statement... but they would still see that you withdrew the money anyways.

So, the best way to do it would be to keep it all in cash at home... which is risky in case of fire or theft. :shock:

It is for SSI, not SSDI.

SSI is Suplimental Security Income, SSDI is Social Security Disability Income, 2 different things for 2 different reasons.
SSI will suppliment what you are short of to survive.
SSDI will pay you a fraction of what you have paid into the system over the years you worked for a certain amont of time when you are proven disabled .
I get SSDI because I cannot work due to my injury and other disabilities. If I chose to work or try to work they will only adjust it to reflect the differences in what I make. For example... lets say you get $800 a month SSDI and you start working, they say you can only make X amount of dollars for X amount of time...anything over that you lose SSDI but if you make, lets say $100 a month then they will adjust what they pay you to $700 a month.
Now if you already have money in savings They cannot say anything from what I understand and you can save anything that you have even the SSDI, its your money.
But if you have an income, thats what they are looking for.

I heard a rumor about Judge said must be $5,000 limit at Michigan law. If who's saving more than $5,000 at bank. They will be get punishment. I don't know which one is SSI or SSDI.

And, One deaf female use to own a cash box at home for avoid trouble with saving account at bank.
9VOaGf8u9xTmK5todMEEMnTTLpx6W-pKFglW1GZJxd5BWxh2SfDEFWab3xNqI0wGHpAKcv8QFL3lb5r4tYnZSleGsAjr4Z46KwwEpNuM7YAAbovok99sS6kG9blfme7ZlS3n-jQbU-k8kaU23yHARGuWpIJZCPXIsodtrdjNydsDmn07gA

I do not see that cases are wrong but if unemployment pay monthly more than what SGA show on SSA chart like current is 1,010 per month. If unemployment pays more than that then SSDI will cut, period.

The saving money have no policy against on SSDI but the 'income' do against that but can adjust for 7 months period trial to "unhook" the SSA system.

Other than the SSDI for saving money account, the SSI policy no greater than 2,000 dollars in saving account will discontinue support that person. Even house or car, the only loophole for SSI is under the table by cash.

Overall that person have saved 15,000 dollars in bank and it doesn't not affect on SSDI or the unemployment. Its qualify as long person is disabled. The SSA in VARIOUS agent but who not handle SSDI that they are clueless about that benefit but just SSI and SSA thats it. SSDI is out of picture due condition. SSDI is advantage for going to college free by VR to continue or change career to boost up before can return the job. As right now VR are freeze due by SSI sucking the VR out the fund.

when this person applied for SSDI (by working that pays ss taxes) then the umemployment benefit and SS will find out within a year. I dont know what is their critias about it. If this person does not care if this person will get overpaid then can afford to pay back. Thas fine. If NOT then let both of depts know then they will figure out to be able to pay at the right amount of $$.

I don't see it as illegal with exception on SSI which is whole different ballgame.
Those who works pays Unemployment taxes PLUS SS taxes, so it does make sense collecting both at same time. The unemployment insurance pay out is up to only 6 months. The unemployment insurance collection itself is not countable as wage because one isn't working and get the check anyway as oppose as wage where one still works and collect either or both (UI and SSDI) is illegal.

I have done collected SSDI and Unemployment check back in 2005 and yes I reported both of them and they asked me if I work and collect that monies? I said no then they said not countable. Only counts when work and collect money.

i not american so no understand your rules..if guy worked all these years and saved hard earned money now laid off not his fault then whats the problem,he paid his tax...i sure illegals get more money had flat.

$15,000 in savings is actually "peanuts" if the guy had been working years and years, probably really struggling to even save that much!...

And would not even pay his bills for a year...

I don't see it as being a "fraud"...Plus, he got laid off from his job, not fired....so unemployment is to help soften the blow....and feel soon as SSDI kicks in, the unemployment will cease.

They care how much income you have.

There is lady in Michigan who won lottery and still collect Food stamp. It said pretty clear, none income, then you still get one. Keep saving for rain.

They care how much income you have.

There is lady in Michigan who won lottery and still collect Food stamp. It said pretty clear, none income, then you still get one. Keep saving for rain.

where is the source? food stamp? really?

$15,000 in savings is actually "peanuts" if the guy had been working years and years, probably really struggling to even save that much!...

And would not even pay his bills for a year...

I don't see it as being a "fraud"...Plus, he got laid off from his job, not fired....so unemployment is to help soften the blow....and feel soon as SSDI kicks in, the unemployment will cease.

I was just going to mention that $15k is not really a lot. $100k is getting up there, but still not enough for retirement. One has to save and invest at least $300k-500k for a basic, no-frills retirement, and some financial advisers recommend as much as $1,000,000 for retirement (which, in my opinion, is only needed if you are going to live it up in retirement and spend money with abandon).

I agree, it isn't really fraud. One needs to have savings, no matter who they are. At the very least, to get over the financial bumps that life throws at us.

Michigan lottery winner found dead of apparent drug overdose

Police say a Detroit-area woman who collected welfare benefits despite winning a $735,000 lottery prize has died of a possible drug overdose.

Ecorse police Sgt. Cornelius Herring confirmed that 25-year-old Amanda Clayton was found dead about 9 a.m. Saturday at a home in the community southwest of Detroit.

"The Amanda I knew was a caring person," Josh Ormanian, Clayton's former boyfriend, told MyFoxDetroit.com. "She did care. She went down the wrong path, she got the money, got the freedom and felt like she could do whatever she wanted."

Clayton was recently involved in an altercation with her neighbors and was due in court this week, MyFoxDetroit.com reports.

Clayton made headlines after she won the $1 million prize in September 2011, but was charged with fraud after admitting she was still collecting welfare benefits.

Clayton of Lincoln Park pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months' probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.

Clayton of Lincoln Park pleaded no contest to fraud in June and was sentenced to nine months' probation in July. Her attorney has said Clayton repaid about $5,500 in food aid and medical benefits.

Michigan's Department of Human Services says Clayton didn't inform the state about her pre-tax lottery windfall last year.

Gov. Rick Snyder signed a law in April requiring lottery officials to tell Human Services about new winners.

Michigan lottery winner found dead of apparent drug overdose | Fox News

Back