Spelling words the way they sound (Oral habits)

I dont know if I was taught to read using the whole language approach or phonetically. I should ask my mom. When I was a kid, I would get 100% on my spelling tests maybe 95% of the time.

funny-dog-pictures-rule-babysitting.jpg

Hubby said "I don't get it!" when I showed this to him!! :laugh2:

I was always a good visual learner, but with only certain things. When it came to learning to read, I was tought phonectically and I find it hard to switch back and forth.

What do you mean switch back and forth?

For what this is worth, I'm a phonetically speller and have been since I was tought to read. I tend to spell things the way they sound to me. I have noticed that my neice and nephew (both hearing) learned to read by sight.

I also pride myself in being a good speller, but I do have a word that drives me batty. The word "seperate". It's spelled wrong, I know. I think I know how to spell it, but haven't taken the time verify the spelling. I admit to being lazy. :roll:

Interesting, though, Naisho. For me, phonics was the way to go, but for others, sight reading is better. That goes for hearing as well as deaf, maybe?

Children learn to sight read, by simple interaction and repetition. In the school district in my area, children are also taught the phonemes of the alphabet in kindergarten. Once they reach grade one, sight reading is the primary method used, until early March. Then they are taught consonant sounds first, consonant blends and vowels. They also are taught that some of the words in English do not follow the rules of sound to letter, which really then becomes a memorization technique for the letters in that word.

Last edited:
Personal observation/Personal Opinion:
I have found that the public schools laziness in embracing "Whole Language" is one of the reasons people do not learn to spell.

I have read many essays as a DAR member and D.A.R.E. Instructor and was horrified at what passes for acceptable work. I had to finally just tell the kids that if I could make it out it would be a contender.

No wonder the kids have no clue why they fail English when they get to the college level. No one knows how to spell or perform basic functions and punctuation.

As an example: we had a young officer, fresh out of college, who could not put a coherent report together. He had to be sent to a basic report writing school and ended up carrying a dictionary in his duty bag at all times. Sad :(

ASLGAL:

I have found that the public schools laziness in embracing "Whole Language" is one of the reasons people do not learn to spell.

Whole language equates to whole word/sight word for me. Are we on the same page?

Poor literacy skills can have life long effects, there is no denying that.

Whole language equates to whole word/sight word for me. Are we on the same page?

Poor literacy skills can have life long effects, there is no denying that.
What I saw was accepting misspellings and misuses as the norm. No spelling tests or drills. Very little attention to structure of any kind in written work.
The schools called it "whole language"

I think we are talking about the same thing.

I have trouble with mispronouncing some words too. I think when a word is unusually long, I have trouble making it "flow" smoothly. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I do also mispronounce words that I am not as familiar with. An example I can think of right now is Baton Rouge. I never know whether to say the Baton as "bat-on" or "ba-ton" or "batten" and I don't say that city name enough to remember in between sayings of how I was supposed to say it.

I've seen deaf people misspell based on signing. For example, many of my third graders thought the word "wrong" or "mistake" started with the letter "Y."

Why? Because it is signed with the "y" handshape.

This isn't relating to spelling but pronouncing.

I've always had difficulty pronouncing words like sheep/cheap, Janice/Janet and so on.

This is what I found based on researching and analyzing alldeaf, only:

I found 500 hits of a single word being misspelled. In these 500 hits, I found 45 unique usernames who spelled the word in pronounced form.

The dates of this search ranges from today until early 2008.

In these unique hits, of the 45 users I know for a fact that:

15 of them are confirmed hearing (5 are interps/to be's)
08 are late deafened (confirmed from their testimonials/comments)

13 are Deaf/deaf/hearing impaired (but I don't know their status of late-deaf or oral environment etc, childhood)

09 are of unkown status, and could could be deaf/hearing/late deafened

These are all based on a single instance, not multiple hits.

Then on another common variation in mistake of writing that word (another letter different, but still seems phonetically correct)
79 hits, 16 unique users on AD

In these unique hits:

04 are confirmed hearing, 1 is/was interpreter

05 are deaf, but of unknown deaf background (latedeaf/oral)

07 are of unknown status.

This is a result of my findings, so far based ONLY on alldeaf and it is not to be concluded as empirical in any shape or form, I'm just trying to give you guys "interesting" statistics and maybe fuel the fire.

Thanks for the heads up on the book, Psychology of Deafness, , by Marc Marsharck, et.al. I will look into this for some answers on the conclusive realm.. hopefully.

I think you will find all of the cognitive studies very interesting.

Just a word of caution...make sure that you are actually looking at spelling errors, and not typos. Typos can follow a set pattern, as well.

I dont know if I was taught to read using the whole language approach or phonetically. I should ask my mom. When I was a kid, I would get 100% on my spelling tests maybe 95% of the time.

Given your age, I'd would venture a guess at the whole language approach.

What I saw was accepting misspellings and misuses as the norm. No spelling tests or drills. Very little attention to structure of any kind in written work.

True whole language approach is actually pretty comprehensive. I'd call what you describe as the "lazy educator method.".:giggle:

ASLGAL - Thanks. This acceptance of misspellings spelling and misuse was at what grade level? *curious*

Interesting link, loml. While spelling is one of my strong suits, many of the words I saw on that list are words I do see spelled incorrectly often.

I grew up in the 70s, so I was taught how to read phonetically. Spelling has never been a problem for me.

In fact, I represented my school in 7th grade at the district level spelling bee.

However, as my hearing continued to deteriorate, spelling became more difficult due to my inability to hear clearly. Even now that I have CIs, there are still words that I misspell, so dictionary.com is my favorite source to check my mistakes. I also have spell check enabled in my e-mail program as well as Firefox.

Now watch...There will be a word misspelled in this post that I didn't catch. :giggle:

I've seen deaf people misspell based on signing. For example, many of my third graders thought the word "wrong" or "mistake" started with the letter "Y."

Why? Because it is signed with the "y" handshape.

I used to have this problem when it came to Braille.

For example, in Grade II Braille, the word "that" is written with a letter "t." Whenever I was asked to spell this word, I would indicate "t." Once my itinerant teacher learned about the mistakes I was making, she started requiring me to write words not only in Grade II Braille (contracted), but also in Grade I Braille (uncontracted) so that I could learn how to spell them correctly.

I have trouble with mispronouncing some words too. I think when a word is unusually long, I have trouble making it "flow" smoothly. I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but I do also mispronounce words that I am not as familiar with. An example I can think of right now is Baton Rouge. I never know whether to say the Baton as "bat-on" or "ba-ton" or "batten" and I don't say that city name enough to remember in between sayings of how I was supposed to say it.

It's from French (means red stick) and should be ba-ton (not really pronouncing the n) but most say batten because we are American and we screw up foreign given names. Like we have a Versailles Indiana. Do you really think my Hoosiers say "Vair-sigh"? oh hell no lol they say "Ver-sales" The only Indiana French name my Hoosiers haven't managed to screw up yet is LaPorte Indiana yep, it's la and porte. But then the kicker: Terre Haute. French: Tear (as in to rip) Ote

Hoosier style: Tear(as in rip) but said Tear-a Hote (with the H)

Oh and it killed me to read the 20 or so ways of spelling definitely incorrectly. It's horrible to read definately, grammer, or any misuse of homophones like there, their, they're. But I do find it interesting how the brain processes words...

Back