Specific request: born deaf implanted or not as babies please!

I don't have a CI but I think you can turn off the processor similar to a hearing aid on/off switch or just disconnect the magnet if the sound is overwhelming or you want a break.

As a hearing impaired adult, this is what I have witnessed and learned. Cochlear implants need to be replaced -- updated every so often. They do not provide a permanent solution and if used, they can cause a person to lose their disability payments & handicapper status.

It sounds like her hearing aids may not be as helpful as they should be, you really need to go back to the place where you purchased them, demand a hearing test, see the results, and then decide how to handle this situation. Also because of her deafness, please do not limit her ability to communicate -- get her into ASL learning groups and also when she is able to orally communicate, lip reading courses.

Like Tristan said, deafness has its quirks, some of us like the silence that it brings. I like taking my hearing aids off when I am home. While working in a school I do find the noise level sometimes gets louder than I would like, and that causes a little confusion with my ability to discern what is being said. Yes some hearing aids drown out the background noises a bit, but nothing is perfect. Give your baby a chance, let her live within her own deafness, first. Let it be her choice. Another side effect of the cochlear is that too much noise is coming in and for some of us, that in itself is unsettling.

As an added note, when we don't hear everything, our social development might not be at the same level as that of a hearing person because of what we miss. Make sure your daughter has friends that share her hearing problems, that will help with her social development.

Are you saying that you want a person to continue to receive disability payments? Wouldn't you want to be fully employed so that you don't have to live off the government? I am not saying that a CI would do that for all people, but many people today do not qualify for a government check because they can understand and use language fluent and read and write and have a job.

I think this was not referring to someone who was receiving disability payments. I think this was talking about getting a discounted transport passes (e.g. bus pass or train pass) because you cannot hear the announcements. A CI would not prevent a person from qualifying for those services.

I think this was not referring to someone who was receiving disability payments. I think this was talking about getting a discounted transport passes (e.g. bus pass or train pass) because you cannot hear the announcements. A CI would not prevent a person from qualifying for those services.
The previous poster actually used the words "disability payments".

Are you saying that you want a person to continue to receive disability payments? Wouldn't you want to be fully employed so that you don't have to live off the government? I am not saying that a CI would do that for all people, but many people today do not qualify for a government check because they can understand and use language fluent and read and write and have a job.

I don't know if that is what she is saying.

For me.. YES I would rather be fully employed! But.. guess what... I am having a #^#&@*# of a time getting a job currently (could be a number of reasons- ageism in IT, disability to name two- there are others). I wear hearing aids... my speech is excellent to the point where it does fool people. My audiogram says I am in the profound range. I can... "understand" language both verbally (barely) and written.

Yet.. here I am with SSDI. Yes I was surprised but apparently I was qualified. I do have vision issues but it doesn't appear that that was a part of the decision.

There are many many disabled people of ALL types who would probably do just fine working full or part time... but can't because they can't get hired.. yet are able to live independently or semi independently... and no income.. so.. resort to government assistance.

I don't know if that is what she is saying.

For me.. YES I would rather be fully employed! But.. guess what... I am having a #^#&@*# of a time getting a job currently (could be a number of reasons- ageism in IT, disability to name two- there are others). I wear hearing aids... my speech is excellent to the point where it does fool people. My audiogram says I am in the profound range. I can... "understand" language both verbally (barely) and written.

Yet.. here I am with SSDI. Yes I was surprised but apparently I was qualified. I do have vision issues but it doesn't appear that that was a part of the decision.

There are many many disabled people of ALL types who would probably do just fine working full or part time... but can't because they can't get hired.. yet are able to live independently or semi independently... and no income.. so.. resort to government assistance.

Some have hidden disabilities ( spinal injuries or internal deseases ) But to employers a lot of petty stuff screams " Lawsuits" so they avoid the higher risks. Risks can be age, disabilities that can lead to injuries as well as accidents... so its a touchy field. Some of us cant work even if we want to because of medications as well as our disabilities interfere with our well being ( cant sleep, wake, pain....) its endless.

Back