Special license plates for the hearing-impaired

Yeah, he was carrying a big knife and couldn't hear the cop's instruction so that's why he got shot.
no it was not a big knife. it was a small pocket knife. it doesn't matter if it's a knife or not. ANYTHING even a movement can look like a weapon and it's more than enough to give cop a reason to shoot you. majority of cop shooting cases? nobody wins. cops don't get charged.

now you understand why it's not advisable to move without cop's instruction?

What's up with the case? Was the cop fired? Was there a court trial or a settlement?
case closed. $1.5 million settlement. no charge was filed against Officer Birk but he resigned.

whatever happened to officer is not a concern in here because it doesn't matter anymore once you're dead. so you might want to take a few measures if you do not want to get shot such as printing out a big deaf card.

IMO, if it's approved, it should be optional, not mandatory.

it has always been optional. there is already a driver license with deaf symbol and it's optional.

mandatory labeling would be a violation of federal law.

no it was not a big knife. it was a small pocket knife. it doesn't matter if it's a knife or not. ANYTHING even a movement can look like a weapon and it's more than enough to give cop a reason to shoot you. majority of cop shooting cases? nobody wins. cops don't get charged.

now you understand why it's not advisable to move without cop's instruction?

case closed. $1.5 million settlement. no charge was filed against Officer Birk but he resigned.

whatever happened to officer is not a concern in here because it doesn't matter anymore once you're dead. so you might want to take a few measures if you do not want to get shot such as printing out a big deaf card.
So cops must be careful, otherwise a city would be sued for wrongful deaths. A mayor would be very upset with them.

Im sorry, your naive makes me laugh LOLOLOLOL

I ain't wasting my time with fools like you.

It's illegal for police to make mistakes. That's why they always get trainings including the training video provided by NAD.

I use my own judgement. One thing I forgot to mention is that I must put my hands out first before popping my head slowly so they can see there is no gun in my hands and then I can sign :deaf:. An officer would say, "Hey, everybody, don't shoot, the driver is deaf". If you are paranoid about getting killed by officers, then stay in the car for an hour or so while they yell at you to come out. To each your own!

So cops must be careful, otherwise a city would be sued for wrongful deaths. A mayor would be very upset with them.

Many cities have reserved funding or insurances to settle with lawsuits because make anything could be mistake.

I myself have one of those visor cards Jiro mentioned. Also have a wallet sized on as well. They both have come in very handy and I was thanked by a Florida Highway Patrol officer for having it. He did a welfare check on me as I pulled off to the side of the road (FL Turnpike) to text a message. He.E thanked me for pulling off the road before texting and also thanked me for "having the guts to display the visor card.

Handicapped plate is too vague.

I think Deaf is one of the easiest target of all disability. When crooks see that one is Deaf, so they know making noises won't be an issue for them so that they don't have to be too quiet. Most criminals hate making noises.

Actually, for me I'm more sensitive to sounds..via vibes in house, I can feel the Air cond cycle on/off, I can feel a door slammed downstairs, so not all deaf don't notice noises... depends on each..

as the result of mistake, they get trainings. making a mistake is not illegal.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse not even for police and theres slews of state and federal laws in regard to discrimination and so if a police makes a "mistake"
because he is ignorant of some law in regard to how to handle a disabled such can't get away with simply getting training...but would be liable for breaking laws.

Of course theres also the old saying DEAD right where your right and the police is wrong but... it says DEAD right... ;)

As far as a special plate... I'd be opposed...

It identitifies one as someone who could be an easy target (through really, hearing people are absurd..not hearing doesn't mean a deaf couldn't know karate , doesn't mean isn't carrying a gun.. etc.. so easy target would be not worrying about noise behind you the target..)

As to traffic stops...been there, since I can speak I stay still and repeat I'm deaf.. cant see lips with light in my eyes..never make any sudden moves..

Also being deaf usually one has certain restrictions like mirrors.. police should if trained proper know WHY certain restrictions apply when examine the license.

I would suppose one could have a card prepared explaining being deaf especially if hard o orally speak.

But no way should one have to use a license tag that would
shout to all your deaf...

Theres something one should consider... a criminal seeing uch a license might stake your car out..then follow you to your home and return to ransack you.knowing your deaf...

Through again...hearing can be ignorant in that simply being deaf doesn't prevent such from knowing how to SHOOT a gun and blow away an intruder ;)

Handicapped plate is too vague.

I think Deaf is one of the easiest target of all disability. When crooks see that one is Deaf, so they know making noises won't be an issue for them so that they don't have to be too quiet.

Doesn't "Deaf" just mean legally deaf, as opposed to not being able to hear anything? lots of people who are legally deaf are able to hear sound with hearing aids on :)

no sense no reason huh what is huh! oh no, disagree on comments.. serious!! it is weird... 'hearing impaired" I don't understand on driver license no reason
demand on that is why! it is funny!

Back