Special license plates for the hearing-impaired

Good point but I am sure that most cops are aware of deaf people all over in America. If it were me and they were not walking up to me, I would pop my head out the window and signs :deaf:.

You might get shot! They'll say that they thought you had a gun.

You might get shot! They'll say that they thought you had a gun.
No, they know better than that. They will go to jail for shooting at an unarmed person. What's more, how can my head look like a gun? :lol:

No, there have been several Deafies got shot by mistake by cops. I have stories already. Also, no not many cops knows about Deafies only very few! Your assumption will get you shot, hopefully you don't get killed based on your own assumptions.

Good point but I am sure that most cops are aware of deaf people all over in America. If it were me and they were not walking up to me, I would pop my head out the window and signs :deaf:.

No, there have been several Deafies got shot by mistake by cops. I have stories already. Also, no not many cops knows about Deafies only very few! Your assumption will get you shot, hopefully you don't get killed based on your own assumptions.

Yes!!! That happened in the south and many cops don't know if I'm deaf, so they assume me as illegal immigrant because of can't speak english orally. :ugh:

It's illegal for police to make mistakes. That's why they always get trainings including the training video provided by NAD.

I use my own judgement. One thing I forgot to mention is that I must put my hands out first before popping my head slowly so they can see there is no gun in my hands and then I can sign :deaf:. An officer would say, "Hey, everybody, don't shoot, the driver is deaf". If you are paranoid about getting killed by officers, then stay in the car for an hour or so while they yell at you to come out. To each your own!

It's illegal for police to make mistakes. That's why they always get trainings including the training video provided by NAD.
if a cop made an "illegal mistake"... they do not get training.. they go to jail. illegal means they broke a law. it's only illegal if they knew it and willfully broke a law.

as the result of mistake, they get trainings. making a mistake is not illegal.

If you are paranoid about getting killed by officers, then stay in the car for an hour or so while they yell at you to come out. To each your own!

um... what they will is either shoot a tear gas into your car and/or sic a dog on you. they certainly will not scream for an hour. they will assume you as non-compliant subject.

you poor bastard.... cuz a dog is gonna mess up your arm...

if a cop made an "illegal mistake"... they do not get training.. they go to jail. illegal means they broke a law. it's only illegal if they knew it and willfully broke a law.

as the result of mistake, they get trainings. making a mistake is not illegal.

um... what they will is either shoot a tear gas into your car and/or sic a dog on you. they certainly will not scream for an hour. they will assume you as non-compliant subject.

You make it sound like that it's allowed to make a mistake.

No, they wouldn't do that when I let them know that I am deaf. However, if you or dhb wouldn't let them know, so yeah, you are right that the dog will mess up your arm and his!

So do you like the idea of a special lic plate for deaf drivers?

You make it sound like that it's allowed to make a mistake.

nope. never said such a thing. you make it sounds like an utopia where everybody and everything are perfect.

mistake happens. to everybody.

there are department policy, training, and laws. when an officer made a mistake... it's because situation was confusing and/or he lacked a special training to handle it... then there will be training and a lesson learned for everybody.

that's is not illegal. it's a learning process.

illegal is when your civil rights is being denied and abused by a police officer.
mistake is when a situation gets very confusing and a police officer did not recognize a hidden, subtle clue.

in this case.... how exactly can a police officer knows you're deaf if there's no identifying mark? and it's illegal for a police officer to make a mistake because he didn't know you're deaf?

nope. never said such a thing. you make it sounds like an utopia where everybody and everything are perfect.

mistake happens. to everybody.

there are department policy, training, and laws. when an officer made a mistake... it's because situation was confusing and/or he lacked a special training to handle it... then there will be training and a lesson learned for everybody.

that's is not illegal. it's a learning process.

illegal is when your civil rights is being denied and abused by a police officer.
mistake is when a situation gets very confusing and a police officer did not recognize a hidden, subtle clue.

in this case.... how exactly can a police officer knows you're deaf if there's no identifying mark? and it's illegal for a police officer to make a mistake because he didn't know you're deaf?
Fatal mistakes are unacceptable.

I repeat: I must put my hands out first before popping my head slowly so they can see there is no gun in my hands and then I can sign :deaf:. An officer would say, "Hey, everybody, don't shoot, the driver is deaf".

So that's how they know that I am deaf.

No, they wouldn't do that when I let them know that I am deaf. However, if you or dhb wouldn't let them know, so yeah, you are right that the dog will mess up your arm and his!

yes it can happen. and that's really not up to you to decide what a police officer can or can't do.

and it's not even illegal :lol:

I repeat: I must put my hands out first before popping my head slowly so they can see there is no gun in my hands and then I can sign :deaf:. An officer would say, "Hey, everybody, don't shoot, the driver is deaf".

good luck.

what you've just described has happened many times where police officers get hurt or killed. you do not ever move without police's instruction.

good luck.

what you've just described has happened many times where police officers get hurt or killed. you do not ever move without police's instruction.
So you like the idea of a special plate for deaf drivers. That's one. Who else likes the idea?

So you like the idea of a special plate for deaf drivers. That's one. Who else likes the idea?

bingo. that's a good start. or a big deaf card as big as your sun visor where you can take it out and stick it out of your car window.

it's entirely up to you to choose these options if you're that afraid of getting shot by cop. I would go with a sun visor deaf card.

I would never ever ever ever ever ever assume a cop would recognize that I'm deaf and inform others not to shoot at me. moving without cop's instruction is ill-advised.

bingo. that's a good start. or a big deaf card as big as your sun visor where you can take it out and stick it out of your car window.

it's entirely up to you to choose these options if you're that afraid of getting shot by cop. I would go with a sun visor deaf card.

I would never ever ever ever ever ever assume a cop would recognize that I'm deaf and inform others not to shoot at me. moving without cop's instruction is ill-advised.
No, this thread is about a special license plate with a logo. So far many Deafies don't like the idea. It was discussed a long time ago but DMV dropped it. Sure, it's a good idea to have a big deaf card that we can print out of our computer.

The big problem when following police's instructions (if you don't have a big deaf card to display) is that you can't hear them, therefore they would think you refuse to follow them. That's dangerous.

No, this thread is about a special license plate with a logo. So far many Deafies don't like the idea. It was discussed a long time ago but DMV dropped it. Sure, it's a good idea to have a big deaf card that we can print out of our computer.
yes I know what this thread is about and this topic has already been discussed last year. I'm offering another solution if people do not like special license plate.

The big problem when following police's instructions (if you don't have a big deaf card to display) is that you can't hear them, therefore they would think you refuse to follow them. That's dangerous.
and the big problem is moving on your own can get you shot. I'll take my chance with pepper spray/dog because I most likely won't get shot at if I'm sitting in my car (as long as I'm not making a suspicious move in my car that would make them shoot at me).

like I told you - many many many cops have been killed or seriously injured when a subject moved on his own. a non-compliant subject is their worst nightmare. they will assume the worst and they will not hesitate to shoot you.

shoot first. ask later. and it's not even illegal for police officers but it's illegal for armed citizen.

Are you willing to bet your life on that?

Sorry, no. That only proves that you know the sign for DEAF. Hearing people can do the same thing. How would the police know if you are really deaf?

remember James Williams? An innocent deaf Native American shot dead by cop in Seattle.

remember James Williams? An innocent deaf Native American shot dead by cop in Seattle.
Yeah, he was carrying a big knife and couldn't hear the cop's instruction so that's why he got shot. What's up with the case? Was the cop fired? Was there a court trial or a settlement?

Back