Special license plates for the hearing-impaired

I don't think I'd want a license plate to advertise I am HOH. But, then, people with other mobility disabilities get them so they can park in the handicapped parking spaces. So, are they any more a potential victim than a Deaf or HOH person with special plates? Not sure. I like better the idea that the info is attached to the driver's license and the police can access through their computers. :hmm:

I found it pretty absurd. I can understand handicapped decal which is designed for parking – but for deaf? What’s the purpose having it on license plate? So that police can easily communicate with deaf driver? That’s horseshit. I have pulled over many times and I never had ANY problem communication with police.

I don’t mind what diehardbiker suggested – it should be mentioned only in police computer. When police pulled over, they always run license plate before they visit driver.

Decal? Do you mean the hang tag on the rearview mirror?

Some handicapped people who drive their own vehicles prefer the permanent tag (license plate). Some, who don't drive but ride with others, have to use the mirror hand tag. Then again, others who have temporary mobility issues get the renewable temporary hang tags.

My SIL has a renewable hang tag. He tries not to use it but sometimes his leg hurts too much and he will park in the handicapped section. (His right leg was amputated below the knee last year; he has a prosthetic leg now.)

It's kind of weird that his handicapped tag is temporary; like maybe his leg will grow back some day.

Yes, I mean hang tag on the rearview mirror.

In here, you have choice: hang tag (placard) or license plate.
http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/mvforms/MVR326230.pdf

I don't know why it is classified as temporary, but it could be doctor's office that don't give a enough information to make permanent or long term.

Decal? Do you mean the hang tag on the rearview mirror?

Some handicapped people who drive their own vehicles prefer the permanent tag (license plate). Some, who don't drive but ride with others, have to use the mirror hand tag. Then again, others who have temporary mobility issues get the renewable temporary hang tags.

My SIL has a renewable hang tag. He tries not to use it but sometimes his leg hurts too much and he will park in the handicapped section. (His right leg was amputated below the knee last year; he has a prosthetic leg now.)

It's kind of weird that his handicapped tag is temporary; like maybe his leg will grow back some day.

The reason a cousin (by marriage) of mine got the license plate was that living in a big city she felt it was more secure (less likely to be stolen). While years ago here I had a friend who was a cop and his mother needed one. They went with the hang tag because they went places in different family members cars. That way when she was along it didn't matter who's car was used (they didn't always have to use her's when she was in the group). It also came in handy if she car pooled with friends.

This would be a safety issue with woman. It's not something people should advertise.

Laura

I agree with you on this. When people started to follow my hearing dog and I took off my dog jacket and stopped using his collar and leash that said 'hearing dog ' on them. I did not feel safe having people know I was HOH. Someone could try to follow you . And some one could try to cause an auto accident with a HOH or deaf person and say it was their fault as they could not hear.

Maybe I can get one that says..."Deaf But Deadly"...with a pix of a Smith & Wesson on it.....

Seriously, No, I would not want a license plate advertising that I'm Deaf....Hearies will never accept the fact that Deaf drivers are better and safer drivers.....If they ever did...then perhaps I'd advertise it and stick my nose up in the air whenever I drive by....:giggle:

I disagreed, due to privacy concerns. I don't want to advertise myself as Deaf driver.

The only thing I would support is that it is done though DMV system rather than License plate. If Deaf person registered their vehicle, DMV should have create note on their system. All police have Laptop in their cruisers and could run license plate check (The always do that) and should show up on their screen instead of showing up on License plate in plain view. So coding on license plate is not good idea.

I agree with this, but I would like to interject that it is unclear when an officer checks the plate number. It has been my experience that many officers do not run the plate when you are first stopped, before you are approached. In fact, in my experience, they run it after the fact. Based on this, the observation may not work.

Last edited:
Yes, I mean hang tag on the rearview mirror.

In here, you have choice: hang tag (placard) or license plate.
http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/motorvehicle/mvforms/MVR326230.pdf

I don't know why it is classified as temporary, but it could be doctor's office that don't give a enough information to make permanent or long term.
My SIL said it's common for amputees to get temporary handicapped parking tags, especially if it's for only one leg.

It was mentioned once or twice a long time ago. It never happened anyway.

I would think that handicapped plates might infer that the driver can't fight back or chase down the crooks, which would make them appear vulnerable to attack.

I have a handicapped placard, but if anyone got into my space and made me feel threatened enough, they would get my cane upside their head. That is allowed around here.

I have a handicapped placard, but if anyone got into my space and made me feel threatened enough, they would get my cane upside their head. That is allowed around here.
:lol: Be careful with a gun owner who has poor anger management.

Maybe I can get one that says..."Deaf But Deadly"...with a pix of a Smith & Wesson on it.....

Seriously, No, I would not want a license plate advertising that I'm Deaf....Hearies will never accept the fact that Deaf drivers are better and safer drivers.....If they ever did...then perhaps I'd advertise it and stick my nose up in the air whenever I drive by....:giggle:

Can I tell you how many times I've been the only person to pull over when an ambulance was driving, and I can't even hear the siren until it gets really close to me!! I don't understand how I can see it before they can hear, or do they just not care.

meh, If the purpose of the tags is so Police know there might be communication issues having the info only associated with your plates wouldn't help, they don't do that until after they've asked you for your drivers license and registration and go back to their car. In that case, you already know they're going to ask for it, who doesn't start getting out already before they've even come up to the window? Just give it them and tell me your deaf, big whoop. I don't understand why they would think we would need the plates in the first place, it's weird. I'm not an overly paranoid person so no I wouldn't be overly concerned about being "targeted" because I had plates, but still think it's silly.

it reminds me of plate people puts back car window,baby on board.if driving properly should make no difference

In my state - Alabama, the "Hearing Impaired" is labeled on back of driver license.

So, on the off chance that someone missed the hearing aid(and they could read) they would still be able to tell. Brilliant.

People talk with me all the time. and I dont hear them,so my husband says oh if your talking to her she cant hear. My husband has a HCS on the van.. He cant walk far. but in no way would I want it to say with Deaf companion..

There was a case a while back where the CA Hwy Patrol pulled over a minivan with a family in it. They blocked the entire freeway, and with guns drawn, shouted to each member of the family to get out and lay face down on the freeway. It turned out that the family had done nothing wrong. The police thought they had someone dangerous because the plates on the van had been switched. The problem was, the police didn't walk up to the driver door and order them out. They stayed by their cars (several cop cars), with their guns out, shouting orders to the people in the van. What's going to happen if they were Deaf and the cops didn't know? Shoot them? There has to be a way to solve this problem..

There was a case a while back where the CA Hwy Patrol pulled over a minivan with a family in it. They blocked the entire freeway, and with guns drawn, shouted to each member of the family to get out and lay face down on the freeway. It turned out that the family had done nothing wrong. The police thought they had someone dangerous because the plates on the van had been switched. The problem was, the police didn't walk up to the driver door and order them out. They stayed by their cars (several cop cars), with their guns out, shouting orders to the people in the van. What's going to happen if they were Deaf and the cops didn't know? Shoot them? There has to be a way to solve this problem..
Good point but I am sure that most cops are aware of deaf people all over in America. If it were me and they were not walking up to me, I would pop my head out the window and signs :deaf:.

Back