Speaking of CI Moments....

Yes they are testing a hypothesis for a computer created guided tool to see if it can handle all the individual Anatomical variations that can happen in the field. Another method that's a bit less invasive is the keyhole drilling approach.

I am part of this research. Dr. Labadie is my doctor.

He put three screws by my implant site a week before surgery. Before surgery on the 19th of July, he did the x-rays and mapping. It added up about an hour more to my surgery. Then they removed the screws. It is amazing to see the research on this. He hopes to have this worked out within 4 years.

screws?? :Ohno:

Question: does this newly implant does or doesn't involves surgery?

I would be happy when CIs become surgery-free or even less invasive.

sorry after reading what I wrote, it did not make a lot of sense.

I am one of the patients who tested the protype of the plate made for the surgery. They place three screws to see if the plate will be of universal design. Then during my traditional cochlear implant surgery, they test the protype to see if it is universal design. They use my cochlea and others to map and show if this design will be used.

Yes they are testing a hypothesis for a computer created guided tool to see if it can handle all the individual Anatomical variations that can happen in the field. Another method that's a bit less invasive is the keyhole drilling approach.

Yes, the keyhole technique carries the possibility of retaining the residual hearing in the lower frequencies.

From the research notes I have, - the ones that I had to sign to take part in the study. It is moving to either less surgery time or no surgery. I believe he has been working this for years. I have been involve in this research for over a year now.

From the research notes I have, - the ones that I had to sign to take part in the study. It is moving to either less surgery time or no surgery. I believe he has been working this for years. I have been involve in this research for over a year now.

It is still in the experimental stages. Something like this requires longitudinal data.

I read the article. Sounds very promising, and if it proves workable, feasible, and successful in trials, I think the vast majority of CI surgeons will quickly embrace this method in favor of the more time consuming and more risky procedure of today.

Thanks for posting the link, Tousi. If anyone learns of new developments regarding this topic, do share! Vallee, you might be one of the first here on alldeaf.com to know about anything new, so keep us posted!

I read the article. Sounds very promising, and if it proves workable, feasible, and successful in trials, I think the vast majority of CI surgeons will quickly embrace this method in favor of the more time consuming and more risky procedure of today.

Thanks for posting the link, Tousi. If anyone learns of new developments regarding this topic, do share! Vallee, you might be one of the first here on alldeaf.com to know about anything new, so keep us posted!

I am looking for the consent forms I signed in July for the research study. I think it is with all my insurance denials and paperwork at school. I will look and reread the info. I hope it might tell me more so I can post it. I will say Dr. Labadie is the best doctor I have ever been too. I have my 4-6 month check up with him on Tuesday. I will ask for any info on this research.

The short of it is yes. Reading the article, the keyword is percutaneous. This simply means using a needle-puncture method instead of opening an area using a scalpel. One can use local anesthesia to numb the area and do the implant. A very promising means to simplify the whole process and be lots safer as well.

In contrast today, they have to use general anesthesia and use the scalpel and cut some bone away to do the procedure.

The short of it is yes. Reading the article, the keyword is percutaneous. This simply means using a needle-puncture method instead of opening an area using a scalpel. One can use local anesthesia to numb the area and do the implant. A very promising means to simplify the whole process and be lots safer as well.

In contrast today, they have to use general anesthesia and use the scalpel and cut some bone away to do the procedure.

This sound like good news and I'd be much less concerned about an infection as I'm a diabetic but I don't think this is risk free though.

I went for my check up with Dr. Labadie and I gave him the information on this web site. I hope he gets a chance to stop by and maybe answer some of the questions. So if you have any questions, post them. Let's not trash this.

Back