Sorenson's closing for good.

pretty much correct except Sorenson had bids put out and Dlink won the bid providing they can sell the dvc1000.

But DLink no longer make DVC1000.

But DLink no longer make DVC1000.

That wasn't the point. The point is where did technology come from? Some people asked why the vp100 and dvc is eeriely the same except for color ? Just stating the facts.

The interoperability is a pain the in you know what. Now we can make VRS scramble for other devices and get them up and come up with some unique features to have them stand out to the big companies. (read this is future monopoly like microsoft did).

I for one am tired of not having the features we want and not what the largest VRS provider is willing to add for for free to get profitabilty.

SorensonVRS will be finished someday but who will buy SorensonVRS? SnapVrs did buy Vialbe.

Default provider is the VRS co that maintains your 911 info on their database. They also are the carrier that owns your phone #, even if you got it from another company. When you choose default, it means that company takes over responsibility for maintaining your info in the database. When hearing callers call your direct number they are automatically sent to your default VRS company, their interpreters. Many of the features that you like are tied to the device you use. Others are connected to firmware of your default provider. Signed messages are a big issue. That is a recorded video message. Do any of the current videophones (except for iphone4 FaceTime app) have ability to leave a signed message? I know VP-200 doesn't. some companies use a laptop with a webcam. Picture is lousy--pixelated. Only way to leave signed message is to go through interpreter. Even interpreter isn't using videophone. they use webcam that has ability to record video then send video file through internet. videophone doesn't record, only transmits streaming video to other device.
On thread topic, if Sorenson can't succeed, no vrs company can. If you have largest company, serving most people, doing it for least money, how will other companies make it? Wait for deaf people's top choice to fail and then pick up customers who can't have the service they prefer? How can anyone call it greed when company continues to provide premium service in spite of receiving less money for each interpreting minute than any other company to do so? They profit because they do it efficiently. If not efficient, they can't stay in business. And how would that serve deaf community?

Default provider is the VRS co that maintains your 911 info on their database. They also are the carrier that owns your phone #, even if you got it from another company. When you choose default, it means that company takes over responsibility for maintaining your info in the database. When hearing callers call your direct number they are automatically sent to your default VRS company, their interpreters. Many of the features that you like are tied to the device you use. Others are connected to firmware of your default provider. Signed messages are a big issue. That is a recorded video message. Do any of the current videophones (except for iphone4 FaceTime app) have ability to leave a signed message? I know VP-200 doesn't. some companies use a laptop with a webcam. Picture is lousy--pixelated. Only way to leave signed message is to go through interpreter. Even interpreter isn't using videophone. they use webcam that has ability to record video then send video file through internet. videophone doesn't record, only transmits streaming video to other device.
On thread topic, if Sorenson can't succeed, no vrs company can. If you have largest company, serving most people, doing it for least money, how will other companies make it? Wait for deaf people's top choice to fail and then pick up customers who can't have the service they prefer? How can anyone call it greed when company continues to provide premium service in spite of receiving less money for each interpreting minute than any other company to do so? They profit because they do it efficiently. If not efficient, they can't stay in business. And how would that serve deaf community?

You have made many valid points. I have suggested a long time ago that Sorenson should have bought viable before snapvrs merged with them. They didnt. Sorenson COULDVE made good money with the "proxy type" pc software to replace thier old envision SL. Instead they discontinued the pc support.

right now purple seems to be the easiest one to use, If I were Sorenson and want to stay number one, I'd merge with purple. Purple is #1 in IP relay and #2 in VRS. Sorenson #1 VRS and #2 ip relay. combine the two companies with P3 software, they have a killer VRS services. They'd be able to get rid of redundancy and combine all ip/vrs/terps centers/technicains to provide a robust variety of services and products.

Its not unconceiveable to think of merging/buyouts. I really doubt if Sorenson will ever fold but I do have doubts of thier long range plans. They seemed to be very mute about it. Surprise planning is not thier strongest suit.

Making Sorenson even more of a monopoly with a merger would be seen as problematic, IMO.

Making Sorenson even more of a monopoly with a merger would be seen as problematic, IMO.

Yeah, also I would assume that there is smell of fear of buying another VRS company. Snap!VRS bought Viable and has been having issues since then.

Sad to say.

I think the biggest problem with the VRS industry is that there is no established standard for the consumers.

Well, at this point, it is moot to argue with you as your history about the development of VP-100 and video compression is incorrect. Additionally, it has become very clear that you are advocating for Convo and you are doing your best to put lots of negativity toward to any VRS Providers.

I am clearly interested in seeing Sorenson to survive because unlike Convo, Sorenson developed their own products and have repaid to FCC the defraudment that was caught by Sorenson. Additionally, they've spent far more than any other VRS Providers to provide services, free videophone, and such to the deaf community.

At any rate, it doesn't matter who I am as I'm clearly trying to be objective and at the same time, state that I do not think Sorenson is without fault as none of them are but I do look at their record and how often the mistakes are for each VRS Provider. Fortunately for Sorenson, this is minimal. As well, I am not nitpicking people's word apart and trying to find contradictions so that it can be quickly discredited. Unlike most posters here, my statements are actually backed up by public records and testimonies of actual VRS workers.

Best of luck to your company, Convo and Sorenson even stated that they welcome the competition as it promotes the innovation and creativity for all of VRS Providers.

Just one last thing, I clearly understand how the tier system works but what you seem to miss is that Purple or other VRS Providers do not have the capacity to handle the estimated 8 million minutes that is handled by Sorenson. Therefore, to handle these estimated 8 million minutes, we need far more staff, more equipments, and centers to handle that, which increases the cost of operation. Therefore, to cut the Tier III rate so drastically, it affects Sorenson's ability to operate all centers and retain the staff necessary as the 8 million minutes were generated from the rates given to the Tier III Providers. This is common sense as a Tier I or II company couldn't even begin to absorb the minutes that Sorenson handles if Sorenson were to unexpectedly shut down without notice. In fact, it would cause an domino effect on all VRS companies as they would have to compensate for the loss of Sorenson by growing as big as them then have problems handling the low rate for Tier III as the necessary manpower and equipment needed to handle that much. Plus, if Sorenson shuts down, then every single VP-200 would die with Sorenson as it will not work anymore and it will be permanently disabled, which means that Convo and other VRS Providers that have no product will suddenly be without any VP-200 products to use for the interpreters that these Providers have. Chew on that for a little bit.

I'd be curious to know how you know exactly how many minutes Sorenson bills for every month. Everytime I've seen those figures in Sorenson's public submissions to the FCC, they've been blacked out.

I'd be curious to know how you know exactly how many minutes Sorenson bills for every month. Everytime I've seen those figures in Sorenson's public submissions to the FCC, they've been blacked out.

I am more interested in the actual billing costs compared to money received for services. astronomical ?

Plus other people are saying 8 million minutes average, so I used that number but I have no idea how the others got this.

You surprise me Sargeras. Your other posts suggested you were someone savy; someone who ignores hearsay and follows the facts. Here, let me tell you what your comment about 8 million minutes has done. This unconfirmed fact has most likely propagated a frenzy of forum goers to spread it around. Sadly, you have now joined the group of "other people" who are spreading these falsities about the VRS industry. Shame shame.:pissed:

I am more interested in the actual billing costs compared to money received for services. astronomical ?

I detect sarcasm, lol. Who knows what they are? Astronomical? I doubt it. Compared to what do you think? Are you suggesting Sorenson bills the FCC fraudulantly? There hasn't been a case of it, EVER. Yet, other companies have done it, got caught, and are paying the price...literaly (*cough* purpleVRS *cough*).

I detect sarcasm, lol. Who knows what they are? Astronomical? I doubt it. Compared to what do you think? Are you suggesting Sorenson bills the FCC fraudulantly? There hasn't been a case of it, EVER. Yet, other companies have done it, got caught, and are paying the price...literaly (*cough* purpleVRS *cough*).

Nice screen name. Hope I don't ever get you as my interpreter. Oh, that's right, I don't use Sorenson. Whew. Excellent service you got there.

Check out my other thread... Explain the drop. :)

Oh, that's right, I don't use Sorenson. Whew. Excellent service you got there.

Careful now. That sounds sarcastic. If you intended to sound sarcastic, then I must say...be fair my friend. I don't know what service you've had or heard about, but I am the most courteous, friendly, and professional interpreter out there. Even if you're having the worst day of your life, and things aren't going your way...I'll still smile and give you the best service I can! That's not a Sorenson thing, that's a me thing. I do it in my freelance work too.

Now, if you weren't intending to sound sarcastic, then thank you.

Posts from Hell...You don't represent Convo, do you? I mean, are you just a fan, or their spokesperson?

Careful now. That sounds sarcastic. If you intended to sound sarcastic, then I must say...be fair my friend. I don't know what service you've had or heard about, but I am the most courteous, friendly, and professional interpreter out there. Even if you're having the worst day of your life, and things aren't going your way...I'll still smile and give you the best service I can! That's not a Sorenson thing, that's a me thing. I do it in my freelance work too.

Now, if you weren't intending to sound sarcastic, then thank you.

:) I'm always sarcastic. The name Robo-Terp isnt the most attractive in my book though :)

I can see you're a good person. Glad you could take some riff raff.

Back