Sorenson vs ZVRS

LOL! I love those Hitler clips!

Thanks guys for the Z20 info. I've been using VP-200 for so long that it feels really weird that I'm about to give it up.

One thing it's nice to have Z20 since it support Cisco Telepresence (video conferencing). I have been see-sawing back and forth whether I should go ahead give up VP-200 and start using Z20 for business functionality. I have been using Webex Meeting on my laptop and it will work with Z20.

I got my Z-20 this week. This thing is way better than the VP-200! I'm glad we did it so far.

I got my Z-20 this week. This thing is way better than the VP-200! I'm glad we did it so far.

How the video screen quality? Very good?

I think if VP to VP, then the quality would be good. If Z-20 to Z20, it is the same good quality. These devices probably have different format that cause a little poor quality.

Sorenson's nTouch VP is best in screen viewing for any ages. I heard that a lot of people are complaining about Z20 due to the poor picture quailty and switched back to Sorenson. Even a ZVRS tech prefers nTouch VP for home uses.

Sorenson's nTouch VP is best in screen viewing for any ages. I heard that a lot of people are complaining about Z20 due to the poor picture quailty and switched back to Sorenson. Even a ZVRS tech prefers nTouch VP for home uses.

Wow, I'm surprised. My Z-20 is still very good. I bet that it has to do with old ethernet cable. The cable should be a CAT 5e or CAT 6, not CAT 5.

Wow, I'm surprised. My Z-20 is still very good. I bet that it has to do with old ethernet cable. The cable should be a CAT 5e or CAT 6, not CAT 5.

I'm not going to disagree with this, really it's nothing have to do with ethernet cable itself, in term of differences between 5, 5E or 6. Talking about quality of of picture, it's all depend on age, location and wire purities. What I mean about age? It's about the switching center from your provider, how old is it, is it all the latest update hardware and such? One switch from one location is older than the other switch in another location. So that means that one person have better picture quality than other person in another location but they are from same ISP provider... you know? Wire purities? Many houses run with coax cable and have copper wire in it from outside. When it ages, the copper wire start to develop what it's called "pitting", the copper will start to "corrode", tarnish like due to weather effect. This will impact the sensitivity of the "voltage" and will get weaken between the two contacts. So, really there's no uniformity of the network speed across the USA, all never the same speed and some provider start doing what called "speed throttling", that you are going over the limit of some number of Gigabyte per month, that can effect the picture quality.... I mean there are many other reason for it..

So, get the picture above... do we all have same qualities of network? I mean 100 percents? From all different providers? So, just think about it... If you want to use DSL along with Z20, turn out a bad picture... maybe COX work better.. maybe not.. Verizon?? Fiber Optic?? You know? COX work well one place, COX doesn't work well in other place...

IT's all about how much they can afford.. Here... I have 50 MB ISP speed.. no matter what cam I'm using... picture qualities are awesome.. If I have Z20.. picture is awesome, NVP... same... I have 3 different webcam.. all is great... my laptop with built in webcam.. still awesome... then when I go another place with my laptop...picture are not that great.. why?? Mmmmm.... maybe something wrong with my laptop? Is it? No, it's all about network...out there.. You know?

Well said! Often I hear customer asking me which ISP is best. My response was It is impossible to determine, why? The one you described is one of them, secondly, DSL, whether using copper or fiber optics have different length before they need to boost up, cable using Coaxial cable which is longer in between switch than copper based DSL, but shorter than Fiber optics offer. Yes Fiber optics have longer span before need to boost up by next switch.

Often I see customer that lives east side, and other live on west side, mind you both same ISP, and one of them are better than others even in same city same ISP.

When I took CCNA course back few years ago, what I learn is that at least 80% of the problems lies on cabling itself, why? Simple put it is one of most touched equipment of networking. Unplug, moving plug back in while equipment, almost no one is taking apart equipment to cause damages.

Finally Videophone is a REAL TIME APPLICATION, what that means is that the demand on network for Videophone is much higher than anything else. Any real time application have limited tolerance with any errors or problems. I have heard customers said that computer is fine, why VP problem? They don't realize that computer is NOT a real time application except any live videophone application that is installed on computer. If you pay attention to FPS, it means Frame per Seconds, average VP provides 30 FPS, means there is 30 videophone snapshots per seconds going on while on computer, one download a page it is just a page and its done in few seconds and done. A HUGE difference between these endpoints.

Other thing, if you get blurry image on your TV, do you generally blame on TV? Most would blame on signal first, same thing with VP and networking signals.

I'm not going to disagree with this, really it's nothing have to do with ethernet cable itself, in term of differences between 5, 5E or 6. Talking about quality of of picture, it's all depend on age, location and wire purities. What I mean about age? It's about the switching center from your provider, how old is it, is it all the latest update hardware and such? One switch from one location is older than the other switch in another location. So that means that one person have better picture quality than other person in another location but they are from same ISP provider... you know? Wire purities? Many houses run with coax cable and have copper wire in it from outside. When it ages, the copper wire start to develop what it's called "pitting", the copper will start to "corrode", tarnish like due to weather effect. This will impact the sensitivity of the "voltage" and will get weaken between the two contacts. So, really there's no uniformity of the network speed across the USA, all never the same speed and some provider start doing what called "speed throttling", that you are going over the limit of some number of Gigabyte per month, that can effect the picture quality.... I mean there are many other reason for it..

So, get the picture above... do we all have same qualities of network? I mean 100 percents? From all different providers? So, just think about it... If you want to use DSL along with Z20, turn out a bad picture... maybe COX work better.. maybe not.. Verizon?? Fiber Optic?? You know? COX work well one place, COX doesn't work well in other place...

IT's all about how much they can afford.. Here... I have 50 MB ISP speed.. no matter what cam I'm using... picture qualities are awesome.. If I have Z20.. picture is awesome, NVP... same... I have 3 different webcam.. all is great... my laptop with built in webcam.. still awesome... then when I go another place with my laptop...picture are not that great.. why?? Mmmmm.... maybe something wrong with my laptop? Is it? No, it's all about network...out there.. You know?

Other thing, if you get blurry image on your TV, do you generally blame on TV? Most would blame on signal first, same thing with VP and networking signals.

Ha ha, thinking about the words above "Blurry image". Interesting thing is that we are no longer in analog world. We are turning into digital world... and watching TV or or means of video technology... we are now start seeing "Pixalation".... No more "blurry image"....bye bye analog...welcome to pixalation.

Yeah, Im just trying to use layman term so everyone could understand. I know it is not going to happen anyway.

Other thing, I wanted to add, often when calling ISP, they said it is fine. In general yes they are right, but they are wrong when it comes to real time application. They (ISP's own technical support) generally don't have the ability to test for real time applications. That gives customer wrong idea. Yes, it happens all the time. I did talk with one of ISP technical support agent and asked how they test? Their response was simply check the speed and it looks ok to them. They (Generally) don't have way to test ping response, and other test that would show there is problem.

Here is one tool that you could use. Go to www.pingtest.net and if you live say, in Florida, pick Seattle, Washington not your home area. Why? Many of calls you made usually isn't only in your area, could be out of town so you want to know how well the ping test goes. Rarely one will get A, yes I do see sometimes. Most get B which is OK, if it is C or worse or see any packet losses, then you will know it is network issues.

Ha ha, thinking about the words above "Blurry image". Interesting thing is that we are no longer in analog world. We are turning into digital world... and watching TV or or means of video technology... we are now start seeing "Pixalation".... No more "blurry image"....bye bye analog...welcome to pixalation.

It is like someone asked somebody what time it was and then everybody explained how to build a clock! I don't care how the underlaid technology works! It is important that the product is well tested before releasing to the market and therefore Sorenson has been developing the nTouch vp from scratch for deaf people while ZVRS bought Z20 product off the shelf from Cisco.

How the video screen quality? Very good?

I think if VP to VP, then the quality would be good. If Z-20 to Z20, it is the same good quality. These devices probably have different format that cause a little poor quality.

The video quality has been extremely good so far. I'm loving it! I've wanted a VP like this for a long time. No complaints from me. The interpreters have been better than what I'm used to as well.

... Sorenson has been developing the nTouch vp from scratch for deaf people while ZVRS bought Z20 product off the shelf from Cisco.

That's Sorenson's argument, but I'm not sure that it matters. The Z-20 is doing the job well. Who cares if it wasn't designed specifically for the deaf? It has been adapted well. The VCO feature is one thing the NVP can't match. It also does not require me to interrupt my family's TV programs to make a call is another advantage of the Z-20. That's the NVP's design weakness. Why didn't they design it to work with a cheap computer monitor rather than on an expensive TV? The Z-20 may be a better design. I'm not sure, though, since I have yet to try the NVP.

The nVP is great for screen viewing like you watch TV in the family room that you can zoom either in or out to adjust the picture for either individual or group. I use a separate 19" tv for the vp only and it costs only $99. Because I am deaf and I don't use VCO therefore nVP is best choice!

That's Sorenson's argument, but I'm not sure that it matters. The Z-20 is doing the job well. Who cares if it wasn't designed specifically for the deaf? It has been adapted well. The VCO feature is one thing the NVP can't match. It also does not require me to interrupt my family's TV programs to make a call is another advantage of the Z-20. That's the NVP's design weakness. Why didn't they design it to work with a cheap computer monitor rather than on an expensive TV? The Z-20 may be a better design. I'm not sure, though, since I have yet to try the NVP.

You can use a computer monitor with a HDMI port if you want to use both computer and nVP on one same monitor or use it for nVP only, make sure computer monitor support source switching mean you can switch between VGA or HDMI at the push of a button. There several computer monitors that have this feature.

If your new computer have a HDMI out then you can get a HDMI switch box to switch between two source at a push of a button.

Also you can pick up a 19" inch TV with a HDMI port for like 89 dollar which is cheaper than most computer monitor and use it just solely for the nVP and have a HDTV picture quailty

I use a 19 inch LED TV and I put it next to my computer monitor on my desk then I can watch TV while I am working at my desk or switch to nVP to make calls.

Because it LED and it doesn't drain too much power like an old CRT monitor so I leave mine on all the time 24/7

Techbill, I'm curious why you always type sentences then put period (.) on far bottom?

You can use a computer monitor with a HDMI port if you want to use both computer and nVP on one same monitor or use it for nVP only, make sure computer monitor support source switching mean you can switch between VGA or HDMI at the push of a button. There several computer monitors that have this feature.

If your new computer have a HDMI out then you can get a HDMI switch box to switch between two source at a push of a button.

Also you can pick up a 19" inch TV with a HDMI port for like 89 dollar which is cheaper than most computer monitor and use it just solely for the nVP and have a HDTV picture quailty

I use a 19 inch LED TV and I put it next to my computer monitor on my desk then I can watch TV while I am working at my desk or switch to nVP to make calls.

Because it LED and it doesn't drain too much power like an old CRT monitor so I leave mine on all the time 24/7

That's good if it works with a monitor. That's a positive for the NVP. I do not want it on my main TV. I haven't been shopping for a while, but where can I buy a $99 TV? WalMart or Target?

That's good if it works with a monitor. That's a positive for the NVP. I do not want it on my main TV. I haven't been shopping for a while, but where can I buy a $99 TV? WalMart or Target?

I find them at Walmart store

19" LCD no name brands normally retails for 119 but lots of time they would red tag it at 99 or even at 89 dollar at the Wal Mart stores.

Here one example from Walmart but out of stock - 19" Sansui LCD HDTV - Walmart.com

Or if you want to invest a little more money and have a LED TV instead which save more on electric bill and they run about 120 to 130 for a slim LED 19 inch here example of LED TV Viore LED19VH50 19-inch Class LED-LCD 720p 60Hz HDTV - Walmart.com

Or go to your local Best Buy once a while and you will find an "Open Box" LED or LCD TV like 19 or 22 inches in the 99 to 120 dollar range which is good enough for VP only uses.

New at Best Buy runs about 120 dollar range for 19 inch .. here example - Dynex™ - 19" Class / LCD / 720p / 60Hz / HDTV - DX-19L200A12

But if you really shop around you can find a 19 inch below the 100 dollar range or patience to keep an eye out for sale

I am plan on checking my local Sears because Kmart is closing a couple of Sears store down all over USA and they may be red tagging a lot of products and mark them down real low ....

Thanks. We are happy with the Z-20 for now. It's still good to know that the price of TVs have dropped.

Back