Sorenson vs ZVRS

I have very similar story as yours.

For guys and gals, be careful. The dealer doesn't tell you about a porting VP number back to Sorenson if he/she offers you a free iPad 2, or a laptop, or even a new HDTV. If you accepted his offer, then you are screwed up and stuck with the Sorenson for two years contract. There is no way for you to get your Z back to you.

You should not sign ASL (say) to him that you accepted his offer because he/she will put your name automatically for sign it up that cause you to screw up between the Z and Sorenson for some reason IF you change your mind.

Recently, my friend did that, and he cannot get a Z or Sorenson - wow. I ASSUME that he will have to wait for the company to solve the problem in one month or two. That's not good.

I have very similar story as yours.

For guys and gals, be careful. The dealer doesn't tell you about a porting VP number back to Sorenson if he/she offers you a free iPad 2, or a laptop, or even a new HDTV. If you accepted his offer, then you are screwed up and stuck with the Sorenson for two years contract. There is no way for you to get your Z back to you.

You should not sign ASL (say) to him that you accepted his offer because he/she will put your name automatically for sign it up that cause you to screw up between the Z and Sorenson for some reason IF you change your mind.

Recently, my friend did that, and he cannot get a Z or Sorenson - wow. I ASSUME that he will have to wait for the company to solve the problem in one month or two. That's not good.

But... did he get his free iPad?

But... did he get his free iPad?

I don't think that is funny. No promises were delivered from Sorenson Communications. No iPad. No such a thing about gifts and incentives to lure former Sorenson customers back. In rare circumstances they do get small HDTV and thats pretty much it.

The only loss the VRS customer is the VRS service. I value in VRS services over incentives or offerings.

A Sorenson rep called me on my Z340 and offered me to port back to Sorenson (I ported the number to ZVRS in May of 2010). When I told him that I rather stay with ZVRS, he offered me an iPad 2. When I still told him no, he offered me a laptop computer AND an iPad 2. When I still told him no, he said, "That's unfortunate, but if you change your mind, let me know."

Is the offering of incentives such as an iPad and laptop computer illegal? I wasn't offered cash like someone else upthread was, but it feels illegal.

No, it's not illegal. Comcast and Verizon does the same thing. If customer move away from Comcast to Verizon, you will get a mail that they will offer you $300 Visa if customer return to Comcast... or vise versa. Same tatic as Sorenson or any other VRS (if they are planning to)

No, it's not illegal. Comcast and Verizon does the same thing. If customer move away from Comcast to Verizon, you will get a mail that they will offer you $300 Visa if customer return to Comcast... or vise versa. Same tatic as Sorenson or any other VRS (if they are planning to)

No, no, no. Just no.

You cannot compare things that way. Comcast and Verizon is NOT bound to the same FCC policies that are in place for the VRS industry.

Now, whether it's actually illegal or not, I don't know. That's for FCC to determine. However, you cannot really use Comcast or Verizon as a valid example.. it's just not comparable.

I don't think that is funny. No promises were delivered from Sorenson Communications. No iPad. No such a thing about gifts and incentives to lure former Sorenson customers back. In rare circumstances they do get small HDTV and thats pretty much it.

The only loss the VRS customer is the VRS service. I value in VRS services over incentives or offerings.

If I was trying to be funny, I would have used a "giggle". I actually wanted to know if he received one. I was curious if they were making empty promises.

No, no, no. Just no.

You cannot compare things that way. Comcast and Verizon is NOT bound to the same FCC policies that are in place for the VRS industry.

Now, whether it's actually illegal or not, I don't know. That's for FCC to determine. However, you cannot really use Comcast or Verizon as a valid example.. it's just not comparable.

yes yes yes, Comcast and Verizon is bound to FCC policy, telephone communication. They also porting phone number as well. The only differences that there's a relay service in the middle and that what make little different policy. That is all, and FCC can decide how Verizon and Comcast run.

yes yes yes, Comcast and Verizon is bound to FCC policy, telephone communication. They also porting phone number as well. The only differences that there's a relay service in the middle and that what make little different policy. That is all, and FCC can decide how Verizon and Comcast run.

Wrong again. Comcast & Verizon do not get "reimbursed" by VRS funds or anything of that sort for "minutes". Because we are using government money to "reimburse" VRS providers for VRS minutes, the VRS providers are bound by DIFFERENT set of rules than Comcast and Verizon would be, even though FCC's authority covers both VRS and cable industries.

Cannot compare the two. VRS industry is going to be regulated by FCC in different ways than Comcast and Verizon would be.

Comcast and Verizon can "incentivize" customers ALL they want, and FCC will not care. This is because FCC doesn't have to pay out of government funds to cover for their businesses. FCC DOES however have issue with how certain incentives are done - for example Brown Bag points by Purple, FCC asked that program to be taken down.

Again, cannot compare the two.

I do believe I'll be porting my SorensonVRS phone number to ZVRS.

VRSEngineer: I'm going to ask you the same question I asked SorensonVRS regarding their new nTouch VP -

"Direct question to SorensonVRS Installers/Tech Support: Is it at ALL possible to do a self-install for the new nTouch VP? I do not want to bother with having a technician show up, when I can just read the manuals.

I also do not want to have to bother with having to get someone to give me the installer code so I can just change the IP the VP is assigned to if I change the way my network is set up.

I would like to know because I intend to do exactly this. Note: I am not being hostile, just that I do not care about your company's policy on requiring an installer when I can do the job myself... and have, each time I changed addresses after having gotten the installer code so I could change the IP assignment on the SorensonVRS VP-200."

It took a LOT of effort just to get that damn installer code. So - I'll ask you, can I do this myself with the ZVRS, for whichever devices I so choose?

VRSEngineer: I'm going to ask you the same question I asked SorensonVRS regarding their new nTouch VP -

"Direct question to SorensonVRS Installers/Tech Support: Is it at ALL possible to do a self-install for the new nTouch VP? I do not want to bother with having a technician show up, when I can just read the manuals.

I also do not want to have to bother with having to get someone to give me the installer code so I can just change the IP the VP is assigned to if I change the way my network is set up.

I would like to know because I intend to do exactly this. Note: I am not being hostile, just that I do not care about your company's policy on requiring an installer when I can do the job myself... and have, each time I changed addresses after having gotten the installer code so I could change the IP assignment on the SorensonVRS VP-200."

It took a LOT of effort just to get that damn installer code. So - I'll ask you, can I do this myself with the ZVRS, for whichever devices I so choose?

Psssst.... I have all the Sorenson password/code, if you need it... it going to cost you $1000.00 (wink wink wink shhhhhhh)

The code is public information and can be found at sorenen web site.

Really? I must be the last one to know it, then, because I couldn't find that installer code until I finally decided to ask technical support for the installer code. They refused until I insisted and explained why I wanted the code. :|

Also, SneakerNet: Cute, but I'm not going to be using SorensonVRS equipment anymore after I transition over to ZVRS.

Kerio,
I am a ZVRS employee and I can assure you that we do not lock the settings on our systems. You can self install our Z4 software, you can self install any of our VP's. We have field techs available if you need or want. You can also call into Customer support.

YOu can sign up for an account on our website and have Z4 loaded as fast as you can do the install.

If you get Z4 installed, I will be happy to test with you. Message me or IM me and I will give you my VP numbers.

nTouch VP does not require code anymore to edit the network settings.

I am told that ZVRS does send rep to your home, they would ship the products to your home and ask you not to open it until the ZVRS rep come to your home then open it and set it up for you.

And Sorenson Trainer would need to replace VP200 with nTouch VP so they can ship the VP200 back once you are set up for nTouch VP.

I believe another reason that VRS send Trainer or Rep to your home to verifty that you are Deaf or Hard of Hearing so they don't get chew out by FCC or receive a hefty fine if any VRS not know that they been serving Hearing people and billed FCC for it.

And it a one time thing to set up new or upgrade product and after that they no longer need to come to your home anymore unless you had techinal issue and cannot firgure it out yourself or could not fix it with the Tech Support Dept then Trainer or Rep will be offer to come assist you if you want.

I believe all VRS rather you try to troubleshoot it yourself with the help of Tech Support online to save money. FCC only pay for the minutes use by interpeters and it does not cover Tech or Trainer or Rep visiting your home so it cost VRS money and eat their profit.

nTouch VP does not require code anymore to edit the network settings.

ZVRS does send rep to your home, they would ship the products to your home and ask you not to open it until the ZVRS rep come to your home then open it and set it up for you.

And Sorenson Trainer would need to replace VP200 with nTouch VP so they can ship the VP200 back once you are set up for nTouch VP.

I believe another reason that they send Trainer or Rep to your home to verifty that you are Deaf or Hard of Hearing so they don't get chew out by FCC or receive a hefty fine if any VRS not know that they been serving Hearing people and billed FCC for it.

And it a one time thing to set up new or upgrade product and after that they no longer need to come to your home anymore unless you had techinal issue and cannot firgure it out yourself or could not fix it with the Tech Support Dept then Trainer or Rep will be offer to come assist you if you want.

I believe all VRS rather you try to troubleshoot it yourself with the help of Tech Support online to save money. FCC only pay for the minutes use by interpeters and it does not cover Tech or Trainer or Rep visiting your home so it cost VRS money and eat their profit.

I tend to prefer troubleshooting things myself. I typically make very odd network setups. Personally, I don't think it's necessary for trainers to have to verify the person they're doing the setup for, for the VRS company they're working with to know that fact.

... Particularly if the user already has an existing VRS product from another provider, which in my case, is indeed the case. I'd prefer a self-install kit simply because I like to read the manuals and have documentation on hand so I can learn more about the features a given product has.

SorensonVRS showed up, did the install, kept the documentation, ignoring my request to keep said documentation for that purpose.

Good to know the nTouch VP doesn't require the code. It was a hassle getting them to give it to me because back then, I couldn't find the code online. And they kept refusing until I said something to the effect of, "So you want me to waste your technician's time with asking them to visit me and enter the code just to make a one-digit change in the IP settings? Seriously?"

Apparently that did the trick. :U

Either way, it's more or less the fact that I prefer not to deal with trainers at all during the day, as I am a nightowl.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozQx2IOABXY&sns=fb]Hitler is mad at Sorenson... - YouTube[/ame]

:laugh2:

Back