Sorenson vs Purple vs ZVRS?

Is Convo android friendly? I do not mind trying a 2nd vrs provider

Is Convo android friendly? I do not mind trying a 2nd vrs provider
I believe it is- according to their website.

www.convorelay.com

And Now I remember why I stopped using Convo.. the GUI on the desktop is SMALL and no way to enlarge it bigger. Apparently can't even go full screen until you start a fricking call. And no options for turning VCO on or off. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Deaf-owned or not- it is not very low vision friendly at ALL aside from the color theme (dark which I like). I did like the idea of texting between yourself and the interpreter but wonder how tiny the text and text box would be.

No idea. I know that I turned off the firewall on either the router or the modem (as the issue actually started when we had to switch cable modems) on the advice of one of the techs (I've had so much dealings with both I can't remember what's what anymore) but that did not work. I did end up changing security type from WPA2 Personal to WPA2 Mixed Mode on my router and that has helped- haven't had an issue with ZVRS since (Sorenson is fine too but the video seems dark for me oddly...and no audio lol).

Could have been any number of things to do with the UBee modem, my very old Linksys router (we're talking about a new one...considering it) or something else.

There are 6,553 ports used though the net.

For example videophone used port 1720 to trigger flashing light, and if u wanted disable the flashing for incoming calls, go to router set firewall block on port 1720 for vp ip address, save, viola! No flashing light.

Not all ports are open automatically, its for security reasons, they need to be manually enable in order for it to function properly.

Some routers were written to prevent automatic port opening by host like vp device for instancd, and allow other ports that poses lesser security risk. This is precisely the problem going on as I see it. Not all router manufactuers and coders agree to each other. Other has to do with legal reasons.

You may be right. Not to mention the router I am using is about 7-9 years old. I have an even older router buried in my box from 13-15 years ago lol.

I believe it is- according to their website.

www.convorelay.com

And Now I remember why I stopped using Convo.. the GUI on the desktop is SMALL and no way to enlarge it bigger. Apparently can't even go full screen until you start a fricking call. And no options for turning VCO on or off. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Deaf-owned or not- it is not very low vision friendly at ALL aside from the color theme (dark which I like). I did like the idea of texting between yourself and the interpreter but wonder how tiny the text and text box would be.

You can send some feedback to Convo about your suggestions.

well -- to the OP- there is no real "best" vrs system or "best" hardware. Its the combination of the VRS, the exact moment when you call(ie morning afternoon , nighttime, overnight, your internet speed that varies thruout the day and then add another factor of hardware. your pc/apple/andriod product, or use standalone like ntouch, zmax, z20, smartvp, etc. all it takes is one or two bad experience for the deaf culture to label that "company" sucks.

look-- in my opinion, you cannot simply depend on ONE company and ONE product for ALL of your VRS needs. I have several. and they all fit my needs individually. I have to. There were times that the call wait time is longer with one VRS , and I would dail another VRS from another platform and that would call faster. I need the equivalency that hearing people have. My business depends on it. I do not want to and cannot mix my business with personal stuff.

SO my advice is if you are young and this is your first time, just like graduating from high school - you need to try out a few things . college? working? traveling? same with VRS. try them all and see which you like and which one fits YOU. not me. not them. YOU.

well -- to the OP- there is no real "best" vrs system or "best" hardware. Its the combination of the VRS, the exact moment when you call(ie morning afternoon , nighttime, overnight, your internet speed that varies thruout the day and then add another factor of hardware. your pc/apple/andriod product, or use standalone like ntouch, zmax, z20, smartvp, etc. all it takes is one or two bad experience for the deaf culture to label that "company" sucks.

look-- in my opinion, you cannot simply depend on ONE company and ONE product for ALL of your VRS needs. I have several. and they all fit my needs individually. I have to. There were times that the call wait time is longer with one VRS , and I would dail another VRS from another platform and that would call faster. I need the equivalency that hearing people have. My business depends on it. I do not want to and cannot mix my business with personal stuff.

SO my advice is if you are young and this is your first time, just like graduating from high school - you need to try out a few things . college? working? traveling? same with VRS. try them all and see which you like and which one fits YOU. not me. not them. YOU.

Well said! Yes, there are many factors involved with making or receiving VRS calls, often VRS company isn't the only cause of the problems, sometimes inside one's home wiring CAN cause problems too. I have couple customers (Those lives next to each other and having exact same issues) I was trying to help back then only to find out that the police station next door just installed wireless equipment interferes customer's wireless system causing poor video which is something customer can not do anything but refer back to Ethernet cable. Yes, sometimes companies that transmitted packets between customer's ISP and other ISP is causing problems and there isn't much customer or VRS companies can do about it because its between ISP and whoever in middle of the transmissions, and often those in middle of transmission isn't just one company, but rather several companies involved that VRS customer have no clue who it was. There is much more stories I have dealt with in the past and yes, its true that not every calls were created equally.

The truth is, anytime when VRS customer makes call to same person again, likely the connection path will be different than previous connection path, and that is where it causes confusion on who is the cause of problems.

Both Radioman and DHB have good points. I'm finding that out for sure in the last 6 months lol. Still keeping Sorenson and ZVRS. Convo I probably won't use- the interface is too small for me.

I DID! Last year or the year before when I was trying out all three (well 4). I know that if you do NOT use any of them for a period of time (6 months to a year?) you LOSE the number. So likely by now I've lost the number I have. I may go get a second number but like I said after all the crap between Sorenson and going back to ZVRS and having to give 2 different recruiters 2 different numbers (long story) I don't want to go through all that a third time right now.

No not the microphone- that's turned on (after I got an actual microphone). I also have speakers set. Also I don't use nVP I use nTouch for PC. (no space here for a nVP- it's a nice to have... maybe eventually).

What my issue with Sorenson is...
1. I call a number, I have VCO set as my option. I use DAI cords plugged into my PC headphone jack. When the interpreter answers and dials- other caller answers- I cannot hear the other caller's voice (I'm able to hear some and it does help having BOTH voice and sign for me).

2. the same is true when someone calls ME (only example I have is the signmail I got though).

With ZVRS, when I ask to use VCO (one thing I don't like you can't set an option BEFORE the call anymore...), I can hear both the interpreter's voice before I call (sometimes) and the voice of the other caller/callee.

There is no difference between Sorenson and ZVRS settings for audio and mic- that I can see anyway- so I suspect it's on the VRS provider's side maybe?
Okay old post but I wanted to say I was at Gally during all the time of this thread and Sorenson isn't great at all. They just are powerful due to being owned by a rich hearing white Mormon family that wants to indoctrinate and do missions to the Deaf especially on our campus, that is why they put so many booths there and the entire system runs on it. They will cancel your number and recycle it if not used once a year and that happened to me when I was GSA president in 2015/2016 at the worst possible time, causing all the planning for admins for Bobbi Cordano's inauguration to postpone until I could arrive to campus a week early. This is due to inability for them to get me a new number in less than a month, having to prove each time I am Deaf/hoh with audiogram sent in again, wait wait wait. Sad that new number was for some old lady who died and I had to tell some sweet old woman she cannot come to the phone anymore. :( Also wrong was (now we have zoom, wish VRS would have not been selfish and done this!) we could not connect all our calls with my Purple number. I LOVEEEEE Purple!

1. Purple NEVER deletes your number, or never did mine! I have had same number since 2011.
2. Purple terps match your skills, if fluent in ASL, SEE, mixed, SimCom, more Gally style, or more my home town Vancouver, WA style! I have never ever had a terp from Purple who didn't undy me and I have never not understood them, regardless if I used VCO or voiced and sound off! :) This even when my mom first time used with me during an emergency.
3. With Sorenson when I worked for a Deaf center with a elderly formerly hearing male client with hearing loss who didn't sign and read lips, the terp assumed because I spoke to him I was a LIAR CHEATER and refused to sign to me!! I had another woman from Texas who I could not undy and she also questioned if I was really Deaf because she didn't know Gally or Vancouver signs!!! DANG BIGOTED IGNORANT HEARIE TERPS! I have spoken in person here where I work full time as a case worker at a great agency today with terps who have lived in other places and had to learn Vancouver signs about this, having done VRS work and some Deaf getting mad because of rare local signs they didn't know. TERPS should not behave this way...be trauma informed and professional, you are not to be a cop and police who is not Deaf enough!! I have NEVER had this with anybody except with SORENSON terps, ONLY them. And yes I also know some buddies who went to Gally who went to work for them, so I am sure some are great terps too, but I kept getting people who would not help me and my clients and I cannot have that happen again.

So now at my workplace I am only getting PURPLE for myself and I am still happy as a clam, even though I did not like the merger with Z, and did not like their Meta collaboration at all. It is all about my accessibility and respect for me, and secondly not giving a cult any government money.

I would love to get a VERY NICE QUALITY and private booth style for use by Deaf public who come in to use our facilities and computer lab. If anybody has discussion and experience on ANY companies of this I am open to hearing all. Thank you.

Last edited:
I DID! Last year or the year before when I was trying out all three (well 4). I know that if you do NOT use any of them for a period of time (6 months to a year?) you LOSE the number. So likely by now I've lost the number I have. I may go get a second number but like I said after all the crap between Sorenson and going back to ZVRS and having to give 2 different recruiters 2 different numbers (long story) I don't want to go through all that a third time right now.

No not the microphone- that's turned on (after I got an actual microphone). I also have speakers set. Also I don't use nVP I use nTouch for PC. (no space here for a nVP- it's a nice to have... maybe eventually).

What my issue with Sorenson is...
1. I call a number, I have VCO set as my option. I use DAI cords plugged into my PC headphone jack. When the interpreter answers and dials- other caller answers- I cannot hear the other caller's voice (I'm able to hear some and it does help having BOTH voice and sign for me).

2. the same is true when someone calls ME (only example I have is the signmail I got though).

With ZVRS, when I ask to use VCO (one thing I don't like you can't set an option BEFORE the call anymore...), I can hear both the interpreter's voice before I call (sometimes) and the voice of the other caller/callee.

There is no difference between Sorenson and ZVRS settings for audio and mic- that I can see anyway- so I suspect it's on the VRS provider's side maybe?

Back