Sorenson VRS outage?

RichardDeaf

Reaction score
I noticed my VP200 is not connecting to Sorenson.. I power cycled the unit and it didnt do any good.. The "Call History" and "Contacts" are greyed out.. I am wondering if anyone experencing this problem tonight 8PM EST..

I ruled out my router and internet (obviously internet is fine). I can ping my VP200 from my PC (ruled out VP networking issue).

If it is not down, does anyone have IM or IP address for Sorenson Tech support so I can call them via my Viable.

Thanks,
Richard

If you have account with Nextalk.net, you could contact them. Sorenson Relay does have AIM (SIPRelay), but I am not sure if you can speak to someone through it, you could try.

Sorenson VRS

When my contact list on VP200 greyed out, I usually unplug and plug it back in which seems to solve the problem.

Unforunately, power cycle (unplug/plug power) doesnt restore service.. It is starting to look like Sorenson is having some sort of network outage.. Can you confirm by making a test call to VRS on your VP200 to see if get thru? When I dial #, my VP seems to "freeze" (not video) and remote stop responding for about 30 seconds (timed out)..

I have few other VRS methods (PC, OJO, etc) but just this Sorenson is not working.. Sorenson website doesnt have direct IP address for tech support.

If you have account with Nextalk.net, you could contact them. Sorenson Relay does have AIM (SIPRelay), but I am not sure if you can speak to someone through it, you could try.

Sorenson VRS

When my contact list on VP200 greyed out, I usually unplug and plug it back in which seems to solve the problem.

I just called the VRS from the VP200 and it got through just fine. I tried to google for Sorenson IP addresses, it seems they don't want one listed.

Have you tried Sorenson EnVision SL?
Unforunately, power cycle (unplug/plug power) doesnt restore service.. It is starting to look like Sorenson is having some sort of network outage.. Can you confirm by making a test call to VRS on your VP200 to see if get thru? When I dial #, my VP seems to "freeze" (not video) and remote stop responding for about 30 seconds (timed out)..

I have few other VRS methods (PC, OJO, etc) but just this Sorenson is not working.. Sorenson website doesnt have direct IP address for tech support.

Thanks for testing the VRS call. I put the VP into factory default by holding reset button until flasher flashed.. VP compained it cannot connect to SVRS. I have sent an email to tech support for this issue.

I dont mess with that enVision.. it doesn't work with Vista.

Richard

I just called the VRS from the VP200 and it got through just fine. I tried to google for Sorenson IP addresses, it seems they don't want one listed.

Have you tried Sorenson EnVision SL?

Look like it is resolved.. After I got a reply from Sorenson and I retested it, it connected perfectly. Whew! No truck roll is needed!!

This is one of most misunderstand, and mis-assumptions. The truth is, there will always be Internet outrages, when this happens many times people would assume that Sorenson is outraged and would do anything to mess up with VP settings.

When you see empty contact list, empty missed calls list, etc it means that it lost Internet connectivity which usually caused by your High Speed Internet company and the best bet is to contact High Speed Internet company first to see if they got outrages. If true business there is outrage in your area, then Sorenson won't be able to help you at all because Sorenson is not Internet service company. They only provide equipment and Relay service, that is it. My High Speed Internet service has average of 3 outrages each year. Sometimes more sometimes nothing for whole year. What I do? Just wait for them to clear themselves out and do powercycle on my VP, router and modem and get back on VP in no time. If I had messed up with VP setting or router, it will take longer to clear this up.

There is another way to find out, and that is... IF You got a computer and if you can not go in AllDeaf or other website, then you will know there is problems with Internet connectivity.

This is not a typical problem we normally see on VP.

I did not have internet outage when VP was down at that time.. I was able to access alldeaf.com, used backup VRS via webcam, etc.. Sorenson VP was only thing was not able to reach SVRS at all. Even I put the VP directly to cable modem and verified DCHP obtain public IP and it wont even connect VRS.. I can even ping svrs.tv (Assuming I got that address right). It just cleared up on it own within 4 hours but i suspects VRS tech support might have got it resolved cuz I emailed and recieved email from them less than 30 minutes of issue resolved. It could be possible that their LDAP server was down??

This is one of most misunderstand, and mis-assumptions. The truth is, there will always be Internet outrages, when this happens many times people would assume that Sorenson is outraged and would do anything to mess up with VP settings.

When you see empty contact list, empty missed calls list, etc it means that it lost Internet connectivity which usually caused by your High Speed Internet company and the best bet is to contact High Speed Internet company first to see if they got outrages. If true business there is outrage in your area, then Sorenson won't be able to help you at all because Sorenson is not Internet service company. They only provide equipment and Relay service, that is it. My High Speed Internet service has average of 3 outrages each year. Sometimes more sometimes nothing for whole year. What I do? Just wait for them to clear themselves out and do powercycle on my VP, router and modem and get back on VP in no time. If I had messed up with VP setting or router, it will take longer to clear this up.

There is another way to find out, and that is... IF You got a computer and if you can not go in AllDeaf or other website, then you will know there is problems with Internet connectivity.

Trust is lie about ISP. I had same problem before. Can't remember what's exactly wrong with VP but i solved it anything.

Exactly!!! Been there!! Had problem with my Road Runner. At first, I was not able to access VP100, I rebooted and it still won't connects. I decided to go on my laptop, It refused to go online. I went downstair and rebooted BOTH Router and Cable Modem (1 min each). I wateched the Cable modem status and can see "Online" and "Telephone" still flashing after 2 min. I figured it's a cable outage. I informed my wife and kids not to bother with VP and computer cuz we're having outage. Finally few hours laters it went back to normal.

Sometime my old router got locked up for some reason. I rebooted and it cleared the problems. Now, with my new router doesn't lock up. I just simply check it's status lights. Sometime Sorenson had outage that I couldn't access to while my lappy can access to internet. I rebooted the VP100 and still can't access. I double check settings and still the same but not messing with it... I contacted my local friends if they had VP working. Got returned that their VP too had outage. I told them DON"T MESS WITH THE SETTINGS!!! It was fairly common for deafie to screw VP setting when Sorenson or their Broadband had outage. After Broadband or Sorenson went back on, They couldn't get setting back to normal. Two of my friends who are Sorenson VP tech told me that they get many calls from deafie who screwed up their VP setting. Even been warned not to touch it. They do it anyway. So It kept VP tech busy and make $$ tho.

If anyone HAD to mess with VP setting. Best bet is write down EVERYTHING EXACTLY what you SEE on VP setting (Don't worry about Public IP address which changes all the time except those who have Static IP). Then screw it up or have it factory reset to clear the problem yourself. So you won't need to rely on waiting for VP tech coming to your house if you screw it up.

Catty

If anyone HAD to mess with VP setting. Best bet is write down EVERYTHING EXACTLY what you SEE on VP setting (Don't worry about Public IP address which changes all the time except those who have Static IP). Then screw it up or have it factory reset to clear the problem yourself. So you won't need to rely on waiting for VP tech coming to your house if you screw it up.

I have my router set up to assign "static" DHCP IP for VP based on MAC address so I don't have to change or mess with port forwarding or DMZ setting.

I love my new D-Link DGL-4500, it works like a champ for few video devices in house since I dont need to use DMZ.. Router automatic opens and forward ports to VP.. unforunately, only one vp can do incoming calls as I have forward port 1720 to one VP..

I have my router set up to assign "static" DHCP IP for VP based on MAC address so I don't have to change or mess with port forwarding or DMZ setting.

I love my new D-Link DGL-4500, it works like a champ for few video devices in house since I dont need to use DMZ.. Router automatic opens and forward ports to VP.. unforunately, only one vp can do incoming calls as I have forward port 1720 to one VP..

I have Belkin N wireless router. It works fine w/ vp100. It have DMZ setting that I can set it up. VP100 works both way. I had no problem with vp100.

catty

Wait a min. Router's Static and DHCP are enable same time? Not make sense to me. Only static set from computer, VP, and Wifi if DHCP is enable from router.

No, I was referring to "Static" DHCP.. not Static IP.

"Static" DHCP enables devices on your network to always grab the same IP address from your router's DHCP server, with no complicated static IP settings needed on each individual device (you can plug in the MAC addresses and desired IP addresses into a setup screen in your router all at once).

This is ideal for device that required port forwarding enabled in your router, like VP.. I just input the VP's mac address to the router and tell them to always assign VP with IP of 192.168.0.125 (example).

Wait a min. Router's Static and DHCP are enable same time? Not make sense to me. Only static set from computer, VP, and Wifi if DHCP is enable from router.

No, I was referring to "Static" DHCP.. not Static IP.

"Static" DHCP enables devices on your network to always grab the same IP address from your router's DHCP server, with no complicated static IP settings needed on each individual device (you can plug in the MAC addresses and desired IP addresses into a setup screen in your router all at once).

This is ideal for device that required port forwarding enabled in your router, like VP.. I just input the VP's mac address to the router and tell them to always assign VP with IP of 192.168.0.125 (example).

Ohh that's call DHCP server.

I never heard of "static" DHCP before. Just DHCP, DHCP client, and DHCP server, that I know so far. DHCP server still change the ip address if no connection till time's out.

Ohh that's call DHCP server.

I never heard of "static" DHCP before. Just DHCP, DHCP client, and DHCP server, that I know so far. DHCP server still change the ip address if no connection till time's out.

It is DHCP server.. But Static DHCP will NOT change IP EVER as long that device's MAC address remains the same. No lease timeout or anything for that.

It works just like static IP, but you set your computer to DHCP, and server will assign you the IP, but if computer MAC address is programmed into DHCP server, then that specify IP will ALWAYS be assigned to that computer.

See DD-WRT Tutorial 1: Static DHCP for more details on this.

It is DHCP server.. But Static DHCP will NOT change IP EVER as long that device's MAC address remains the same. No lease timeout or anything for that.

It works just like static IP, but you set your computer to DHCP, and server will assign you the IP, but if computer MAC address is programmed into DHCP server, then that specify IP will ALWAYS be assigned to that computer.

See DD-WRT Tutorial 1: Static DHCP for more details on this.

I never tired on DD-WRT firmware before. I will try it when I have time. Thank you so much. I learn something new today.

Yes, I know about mac address thing, I using mac address filter and better than WEP alone for wireless.

I don't mean you to look at DD-WRT firmware, i refer to you to this site since it explains about static DHCP.. It is becoming common in many newer routers including my DLink DGL-4500 router.

I never tired on DD-WRT firmware before. I will try it when I have time. Thank you so much. I learn something new today.

Yes, I know about mac address thing, I using mac address filter and better than WEP alone for wireless.

I have a question for you.

I check on DGL-4500 and I still see lease timeout for DHCP server. I am confused.

dhcpuh2.jpg

Back