Sorenson VP-200 Use Without Account

DrAnonymous

Reaction score
I purchased a VP-200 used from someone and can't get it to work. I did a hard reset and when going through the configuration setup it wants a user phone number and password. Or a Trainer ID and password, which I also don't have.

How can I set this up so I can use it to call my grandmother? She has a Sorenson unit and normally we have to use the VR service. I've used a DLink eye2eye in the past, but wanted to get a VP-200 setup for my father.

I'm very familiar with home networking setup and protocols, I just need to get the VP-200 configured.

Help!

I purchased a VP-200 used from someone and can't get it to work. I did a hard reset and when going through the configuration setup it wants a user phone number and password. Or a Trainer ID and password, which I also don't have.

How can I set this up so I can use it to call my grandmother? She has a Sorenson unit and normally we have to use the VR service. I've used a DLink eye2eye in the past, but wanted to get a VP-200 setup for my father.

I'm very familiar with home networking setup and protocols, I just need to get the VP-200 configured.

Help!

vp-200 is not supposed to sell from someone who used it.

No one is ever supposed to sell a VP of any kind-- doesn't matter what kind-- selling a VP is prohibited. If I were you, I would get a laptop or a webcam phone, and set up a ntouch account that way, so that you're doing this legally, and only if you are deaf/hard of hearing. No hearing person is allowed to have a VRS account, except in very special cases, such as:

A program/business that serves the Deaf/Hard of Hearing (like the Chicago Hearing Society here in Chicago, among a few others) and specializes in their professional work.

Hospitals

Vocational Services/Department of Human Resources offices

These are just a few that I know of. There could be more, but this is just the tip.

Last edited:
It is illegal to sell and buy Sorenson products, contact Sorenson customer service AKA Customer Information Resources, you may have to return VP to them. I don't know the procedure but, if you are Deaf or Hard of hearing and use sign language, they can send you trainer over and assign you 10 digit local number. If your hearing or have no idea how to use sign, then your out of luck but return them to rightful owner. The Trainer ID and password is for Sorenson authorized employees only, not customers. Anyone attempt getting 10 digit local number when they are not qualified is also considered defrauding Federal funds and can be in legal trouble as well.

There is absolutely no way to go around or any work around to get it work. That is due to FCC regulation which had beefed up the regulation few years ago from abuses. Thus, all VP were hard coded (Impossible to re-programming them) to prevent such abuses like this one. This includes VP-100, NtouchVP, and all Ntouch products.

If you read the EULA (End User License Agreement), there is clear language that Sorenson (Including other VRS providers) owns the equipment, not customers and customer are free to use them as long as they abide the EULA. Seller is a bad customer, and may be in legal trouble, it is very easy for Sorenson to track down who is the seller. Selling VP is actually considered as stolen property, so be aware of this. So, I wouldn't recommend anyone trying to sell Sorenson, Purple, Zvrs products, not really smart thing to do.

For more information visit Sorenson VRS®

I am sorry, not much you really can do EVEN if you are expert to get this working again. I myself can't get around the system and I DO know how they work. Give you an idea, you could download Netflix and try to make it work without having an account from Netflix, will you be able to use them and watch movies? I don't think you can, same thing with all Videophones provided by VRS providers.

Do not misinform anyone like this, if the OP is hearing and attempt get Ntouch account, they won't be able to do so legally. In order to get 10 digit local number, one must call VRS provider customer service to prove that customer is Deaf or HoH and uses sign language, and required to show drivers license. Thus drivers license will be audited to see if the customer is legit, otherwise VRS provider will have to pay back to FCC for the damages.

So, please do not encourage hearing people abuse this wonderful program, otherwise the days of VRS may be over or shut down, we don't want that to happen, don't you?

No one is ever supposed to sell a VP of any kind-- doesn't matter what kind-- selling a VP is prohibited. If I were you, I would get a laptop or a webcam phone, and set up a ntouch account that way, so that you're doing this legally.

He's right. Whenever someone asks me to help them set up a VP, I usually ask which kind, and if they say a VP-200 or a ntouch VP, I'll say they need authorized personnel to help them, but if it concerns a laptop or a mobile account, then yes, I can do those, as I don't have to worry about messing up the software by mistake, but as for ZVRS products that AREN'T mobile or on a laptop, I'll tell them they need to contact ZVRS.

Yes, you are right-- my bad. I should have been more clearer. My mistake.

How's my post above look? I just edited it. Hopefully it'll be all right now.

There are several options that one can chat with their loved ones that has hearing loss without using VRS. For example, Facetime by Apple, Skype, ooVoo, etc.

That's true, there are several other options. As for ooVoo, that requires a FaceBook account, which I don't have.

Thank you all for the replies. I realize its not legal to be hearing and register for a VRS number. I DON"T want to do that. I just want to use a video phone to make a point to point call with my grandmother. I had an i2eye video phone that worked ok, but its really old and the quality was pretty low.

I thought it was odd that someone was selling the VP-200, but I"m not sure what kind of legal issues there might be. Sorenson would have to go try and get the unit from the original person and I don't know what Sorenson will do to them when they don't have it. Would they charge them?

I have thought about returning it, but not sure just yet. I contacted Sorenson and asked them how to make it work WITHOUT a phone number (I just want to type in my grandmother's IP address of her video phone) and they said they wouldn't help me. I did explain that I had bought it. I don't understand why they didn't ask me to return it to them.

I used to use a program on my computer to call her, but it doesn't work with the newer operating system.

I wish the FCC had made better rules so that hearing people would not be punished and treated badly when they just want to keep in touch with deaf family. I would gladly buy a unit, but none of the VRS providers sell anything.

My grandmother is 93 and so explaining how to set things up on a computer is very very difficult. Otherwise I could use things like Facetime or Skype.

Actually you might be able to, but it'll cost you a pretty penny, though. Contact ZVRS at help@zvrs.com, and clearly state what you want, and your options.

VRS punishing you? I highly doubt it, you didn't have chance read the EULA anyway. Those who haveread and signed (Electronically) is the one who is responsible for this not you, this is the reason why trainer is required to be on present to confirm electronically signature from customers. Unfortunately, there is no way you can use it.

Don't worry, just do the right thing and you will be fine.

Thank you all for the replies. I realize its not legal to be hearing and register for a VRS number. I DON"T want to do that. I just want to use a video phone to make a point to point call with my grandmother. I had an i2eye video phone that worked ok, but its really old and the quality was pretty low.

I thought it was odd that someone was selling the VP-200, but I"m not sure what kind of legal issues there might be. Sorenson would have to go try and get the unit from the original person and I don't know what Sorenson will do to them when they don't have it. Would they charge them?

I have thought about returning it, but not sure just yet. I contacted Sorenson and asked them how to make it work WITHOUT a phone number (I just want to type in my grandmother's IP address of her video phone) and they said they wouldn't help me. I did explain that I had bought it. I don't understand why they didn't ask me to return it to them.

I used to use a program on my computer to call her, but it doesn't work with the newer operating system.

I wish the FCC had made better rules so that hearing people would not be punished and treated badly when they just want to keep in touch with deaf family. I would gladly buy a unit, but none of the VRS providers sell anything.

My grandmother is 93 and so explaining how to set things up on a computer is very very difficult. Otherwise I could use things like Facetime or Skype.
If I were you, I would return it to the deaf seller and ask for money back after you explain that it's illegal for him/her to sell it since it's Sorenson's property. If the seller refuses, warn him/her that you will report it to Sorenson and/or FCC. How much did you pay for it?

Really, it is best to send back to
Sorenson Communications Corporate Office

4192 South Riverboat Road
Salt Lake City, Utah 84123
Telephone: 801-287-9400
Fax: 801-287-9401

Put "ATTN: Sales"

They will take care of it.

and explain if possible name who bought from, address if possible and explain the situation.

If I were you, I would return it to the deaf seller and ask for money back after you explain that it's illegal for him/her to sell it since it's Sorenson's property. If the seller refuses, warn him/her that you will report it to Sorenson and/or FCC. How much did you pay for it?

Really, it is best to send back to
Sorenson Communications Corporate Office

4192 South Riverboat Road
Salt Lake City, Utah 84123
Telephone: 801-287-9400
Fax: 801-287-9401

Put "ATTN: Sales"

They will take care of it.

and explain if possible name who bought from, address if possible and explain the situation.
Will Sorenson reimburse him for the loss?

Will Sorenson reimburse him for the loss?

NO.

Sorry, but the hearing person that buys VP is as much at guilt as deaf person that sold the VP.

I would love to know the person who sold the VP so that Deaf Community does not help him/her out. That deaf person obviously knew it was illegal to sell VP, but did it anyway. I hope that karma bites back on that person.

If I ever sold my laptop, I would wipe ALL of my laptop VP's off the laptop, and the same goes for my phone and tablet, if either one got sold, but I can't legally sell my phone, anyways, because I brought it from Cricket, and if I wanted to sell it, I'd be obligated to notify them.

If I ever sold my laptop, I would wipe ALL of my laptop VP's off the laptop, and the same goes for my phone and tablet, if either one got sold, but I can't legally sell my phone, anyways, because I brought it from Cricket, and if I wanted to sell it, I'd be obligated to notify them.

What kind software you use for wipe all for HDD?

I don't use any kind of software. What I would do is factory reset it, so there's no evidence of my laptop VP's being there.

Back