Sony’s Subtitle Glasses Mean the Deaf Can Watch Movies in the Theater Too

That's cool, but like the article says, it's not suitable for people who already wear glasses. My wife can't watch 3D movies because it's very uncomfortable on top of her glasses.

The cheapest solution is to make the movies open captioned. But noooo, they have to invest millions and millions in devices so they won't annoy the rest of the world.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Rear view captioning is a joke.

Following up on previous comment. We are discussing captioning, right?

Following up on previous comment. We are discussing captioning, right?

We are discussing a possible new technology involving captioning. That new technology is glasses that would show subtitle to person wearing it. What does RW and glasses have to do with each other unless you are saying that the glasses are a joke also?

I would love to be the tester for this one! But I'm not in the UK :(

Guys, the reason why they don't want to do open caption is simply because they don't want to piss off the other viewers who think *gasps* the words are ruining the picture! In all seriousness, I think this makes the best for each customers. Hearies get their happy picture and we get our subtitles. As long as the glasses are accurate, thats all I freaking care about I'm golden! :)

I did feel the urge to face palm reading this comment though:
"Yay! Sign-language glasses! I'm sure it'll be around in a few years.
P.S. this is the part where the guy accidentally knocks himself out trying to express the full significance and intensity of the dialogue"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfCk6nWr81c]Subtitle glasses for deaf people - YouTube[/ame]

I think that would be great. They just need to bring it to the US.

The cheapest solution is to make the movies open captioned. But noooo, they have to invest millions and millions in devices so they won't annoy the rest of the world.

I agree with you completely. People don't realize how much captioning can benefit even the hearing. They won't even take the time to experience it. It's just, "Turn that off! It bothers me!"

Put open captioning up and I would almost guarantee that literacy would improve. You can't force a kid to sit down and read a book, but put the captioning on a movie, and they will be reading it without even realizing they are.

This device may be interesting, but it's actual use will be very limited.

We are discussing a possible new technology involving captioning. That new technology is glasses that would show subtitle to person wearing it. What does RW and glasses have to do with each other unless you are saying that the glasses are a joke also?

They both have limitations. That is what the two methods have in common.

Same like 3D glasses, this only good for people who not wear glasses already. Oh well.

I agree with you completely. People don't realize how much captioning can benefit even the hearing. They won't even take the time to experience it. It's just, "Turn that off! It bothers me!"

Put open captioning up and I would almost guarantee that literacy would improve. You can't force a kid to sit down and read a book, but put the captioning on a movie, and they will be reading it without even realizing they are.

This device may be interesting, but it's actual use will be very limited.

Exactly. It's mind-blowing how they are so considerate toward people's pettiness instead of the deaf's needs.

Doesn't everything have limitations though?
Hearing aids only work for some people, Only some are candidates for CI's, only some are candidates for Baja, only some are candidates for corrective eye surgery etc. Everything has limitations, but often times there are alternatives that would be effective for those that are limited through other venues.

Doesn't everything have limitations though?
Hearing aids only work for some people, Only some are candidates for CI's, only some are candidates for Baja, only some are candidates for corrective eye surgery etc. Everything has limitations, but often times there are alternatives that would be effective for those that are limited through other venues.

THe problem is, all of these devices are completely unnecessary and a burden to everyone, especially the deaf. Open captioning is a much more economic choice than an expensive device that may end up being uncomfortable and put more burden on the deaf consumer. The best part about open captioning is that there is no limit to it. All of the technology available to us have quite a lot of limitations to them.

Why on Earth are the deaf people expected to put up with all of the hassles while the hearing merely have the convenience of simply buying a ticket and pick any seats they wish to sit in.

It's just unreasonable to expect the deaf to put up with all these hassles.

Not all this are unnecessary or burden. I'd like have laser eye surgery but am not candidate.

Back