Sometimes it just takes a woman...

rebeccalj

Reaction score
I have 4 kids. Two accept the Deaf Culture and the other two seem like they pretend that it does not exist (my Deafness and ASL).

Of course, it is my own fault that I didn't immerse myself in the Community sooner so that they could also be exposed to it. Then again, my parents raise me as a hearie and it was only in the last 10 years that I begin the journey to find *home*. Home meaning our Community and Culture. I always felt like a piece of me was missing if that makes sense?

My son (15 almost 16), who is a Hearie, went to a party last night where a young lady attended who happen to be deaf. He spent a long time talking to her and the first thing I ask him when he told me about her was did he sign, hopeful he would say yes. He said he didn't. That she read lips and they text back and forth when she could not understand. I hide my disappointment that he didn't try to sign and share in his awakening instead.

The point I'm trying to make is that he was so excited about it. For the *first* time he seemed more interested in *my* world and *my* people.

Sometimes the journey is long to get our Hearie kids to accept the Deaf; especially if you yourself have been raised hearie. Sometimes it is short. Sometimes is just takes a woman. :giggle:

Has anyone had something similar with their kids and embracing our Culture?

I'm glad he's excited! I'm sad he couldn't just be excited about it for your sake though. But good he is excited!!

I have no kids yet, so I can't answer actual question.

I have 4 kids. Two accept the Deaf Culture and the other two seem like they pretend that it does not exist (my Deafness and ASL).

Of course, it is my own fault that I didn't immerse myself in the Community sooner so that they could also be exposed to it. Then again, my parents raise me as a hearie and it was only in the last 10 years that I begin the journey to find *home*. Home meaning our Community and Culture. I always felt like a piece of me was missing if that makes sense?

My son (15 almost 16), who is a Hearie, went to a party last night where a young lady attended who happen to be deaf. He spent a long time talking to her and the first thing I ask him when he told me about her was did he sign, hopeful he would say yes. He said he didn't. That she read lips and they text back and forth when she could not understand. I hide my disappointment that he didn't try to sign and share in his awakening instead.

The point I'm trying to make is that he was so excited about it. For the *first* time he seemed more interested in *my* world and *my* people.

Sometimes the journey is long to get our Hearie kids to accept the Deaf; especially if you yourself have been raised hearie. Sometimes it is short. Sometimes is just takes a woman. :giggle:

Give your kids time. They are only 15 and 16. At that age it is natural for them to think more about what people will think if they see them signing than seeing it as an opportunity to reach out to another person on their terms. That is just part of being that age. The important thing is that he did approach her, and he did communicate with her. He didn't leave her sitting in the corner alone just because she is deaf. That is a great thing! Give him a pat on the back for that one. He showed, in the best way a kid that age can, that he has empathy and consideration for others.

Give your kids time. They are only 15 and 16. At that age it is natural for them to think more about what people will think if they see them signing than seeing it as an opportunity to reach out to another person on their terms. That is just part of being that age. The important thing is that he did approach her, and he did communicate with her. He didn't leave her sitting in the corner alone just because she is deaf. That is a great thing! Give him a pat on the back for that one. He showed, in the best way a kid that age can, that he has empathy and consideration for others.

I was *so* so proud of him! He is almost 16 and, of course, at a very selfish and private age. :roll:

He was full of vitality when he came home. Like a light went on for him as it did for me years ago. Of course, the young lady in question was *hot* according to him, which likely helped.:roll: I was so happy for him that he had this kind of awakening where he didn't look at it as such a bad and embarrassing thing but a new world that he was interested in.

My 18 year old daughter, who was also there, and embraces Deaf culture, took it all in stride as though this was just another day in our life to run into a d/Deaf person.

It was fascinating for me to see the contrast last night. Truly fascinating.

My 27 year old daughter fully embraces the language and culture and has taught all 3 of her own daughters sign. If I can just get my 25 year old daughter to experience her own awakening life would be great but she's a bit of a little Rebecca clone. Stubborn and opinionated and will do things when she's damn well ready to. :giggle:

Well, yeah! Hot no doubt had a lot to do with it for an almost 16 year old boy!:lol:

But, he is on his way. The recognition has begun, and it will only expand from here as he makes more and more connections.

You 27 year old sounds like my kind of gal!

My daughter (17) is beginning to show an interest. Only because she says that she will always be there for me and does not plan on leaving home. She fears for her safety away from home. Too many people picking on her due to her LD's. Son (16) used to have an interest, but now, does not seem to care anymore. HE finger spells quite well. and both kids are picking up signs from me at home. Since they both use their ear buds like there's no tomorrow, I am always flicking the light on and off to get their attention and I use ASL to call them to meals.

My daughter (17) is beginning to show an interest. Only because she says that she will always be there for me and does not plan on leaving home. She fears for her safety away from home. Too many people picking on her due to her LD's. Son (16) used to have an interest, but now, does not seem to care anymore. HE finger spells quite well. and both kids are picking up signs from me at home. Since they both use their ear buds like there's no tomorrow, I am always flicking the light on and off to get their attention and I use ASL to call them to meals.

LD = Learning Disability?

That's horrible that people pick on her. In my fantasy world people love and accept each other for all that they are instead of what they are not.

How do you call them to meals in sign?

LD = Learning Disability?

That's horrible that people pick on her. In my fantasy world people love and accept each other for all that they are instead of what they are not.

How do you call them to meals in sign?

Yes, learning disability. She has multiple LD's.

I will flick the lights, they turn and look at me, and I sign wash - come - eat. They shut off XBox, game on computer, game on DSiXL or TV and come.

I joke that my 17 YO son needs a pretty deaf girl to motivate him. Seems like that's not far off here.

In my case, the issue is familial so I know that the kids will find their own way. They will have more guidance than I did.

I agree that the most important thing is that the kids are good, kind people. The rest will fall into place with maturity. Remember that the teens look like adults, but teens' brains are not developmently complete yet. Add all of the emotional and social issues, and teenhood is a very challenging time. Just love 'em and know that they love you, too.

My 14 year old daughter has been exposed to Deaf culture since she was 3 when we moved to Maryland so I could attend Gallaudet University. When she was like 8 or 9, she went through a period when she didnt want to sign at all but now, she teaches her friends ASL. It is so great!

For my hearing 5 year old son, his first language is ASL so he is very fluent in it. Many people think he is deaf. See how he embraces Deaf culture when he is older.

My young daughter still think I am hearing or told her that I am deaf but she said Doctor fixing my ears! :dunno:

its sad.. some of these things is our fault, some is just due to timing of the events and some is not being part the deeeeeep asl pride thing. My oldest is nearly 16 (eeeekk! i am dreading that) and he doesnt sign well- but he respects the deafness. my daughter is only 5 and she signs more then my 2 boys combined and they are all hearing. now what gives ? I am hoh and is that to blame? MUST I be deaf and go to asl school to be part of the asl pride just so my kids can sign 100%?!

come on guys, I am for all of my kids to be proficiencent at signing, but kids today have it alot tougher then we do. tougher school standards, rules, more peer pressure, all this sex talk early, learning a foreign language that is not asl as per school standards, etc.. Its tough enough. look back at our grade school days!!!!

Instead, right now I am embracing the future best I can and teach what I can one day at a timee.

Nah, it is not your fault. No one is at fault.

I live in a small town and the smalestl deaf community here. My kids aren't enough to be exposed with the deaf community. My kids, girl, 10 and boy, 8 who are hearing. My kids dont mind signing to me in front of my deaf friends but my kids sometimes don't sign in front of public if they stare at us signing. My girl starts to ignore them better and better. Wootz, but my boy, not yet! my boy keeps looking around to make sure that no one sees him signing. Not that why they got embarrassed, just because they are UNCOMFORTABLE that anyone stares at them signing to me. yes it's rude to stare at the strangers you know? I just tell my kids that they never saw anyone who signs before and just ignore them. I even said that they have no manners and know no better about Deaf people. I always tell them that I am perfectly fine and can ignore them. Sad, My kids never met Deaf kids the same age as my kids'. :( I am dying to see how they react to Deaf kids ( Asl users) in the same ages. oh well.

I don't have kids but I have nieces and nephews. I noticed that both boys show no interest in ASL at all while some of the girls attempted at ASL until it wore off. They are all in 30's now.

Do you think hearing females are more accepting of Deaf Culture than hearing males at most of times ???

Back