Something funny that happened

ecp

Reaction score
The movie theaters in our area are all Regal theaters and they recently announced that they will be providing their captioned glasses for all their theaters (http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/...ertainmentAccessGlassesPressRelease_Final.pdf).

My (hearing) fiancé and I set aside every Saturday for our date night. We usually cook dinner together and watch a captioned movie at home.

BUT, I saw that Jurassic Park is coming out in 3D and mentioned it to him and he agreed that going to see that would be an awesome date night.
So, we researched the theaters around here and called the closest one.
My fiancé asked if they had the Sony captioned glasses for deaf viewers. The lady apparently replied "the glasses are for the blind. The deaf have headphones."
My poor fiancé couldn't stop laughing so he thanked her and hung up.

It is a bit funny that movie theaters think that they are "accessible" because they provide headphones for the HOH (never mind that headphones are useless for me since with my super power BTEs headphones cause feedback and without them I can't hear).

The movie theaters in our area are all Regal theaters and they recently announced that they will be providing their captioned glasses for all their theaters (http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/...ertainmentAccessGlassesPressRelease_Final.pdf).

My (hearing) fiancé and I set aside every Saturday for our date night. We usually cook dinner together and watch a captioned movie at home.

BUT, I saw that Jurassic Park is coming out in 3D and mentioned it to him and he agreed that going to see that would be an awesome date night.
My fiancé asked if they had the Sony captioned glasses for deaf viewers. The lady apparently replied "the glasses are for the blind. The deaf have headphones."

It is a bit funny that movie theaters think that they are "accessible" because they provide headphones for the HOH (never mind that headphones are useless for me since with my super power BTEs headphones cause feedback and without them I can't hear).

I think she was making a joke lol.. they probably don't really have headphones :) and a lot of people seem to not like Sony's Caoptioned Glasses, so I guess she was being a bit.. :)

I think she was making a joke lol.. they probably don't really have headphones :) and a lot of people seem to not like Sony's Caoptioned Glasses, so I guess she was being a bit.. :)

Her exact words were as above- "we have headphones for deaf people"

Wow, wonder if they felt like an idiot later or if they never figured it out?

They likely weren't joking at all.

They DO have headphones, they are for the DVS (Described Video Service) for those who are low vision/ blind.

Because the assistive devices (Captioning and Audio) aren't exactly "high volume" requests, a lot of the theatre employees really don't know what the devices do or who they are for. They figure "glasses" would logically help someone SEE, and headphones would help them HEAR. It's a lack of awareness and training issue.

I hate the theaters that have "all-in-one" headphones so that I cannot plug my ComPilot/neckloop into a receiver. Ones that go into the ears or on top (of my HAs) are useless to me. But, hey, as far as they know, they're meeting ADA requirements. :(

My theatre provides headphones and got rid of the neck loop / t coil. They couldn't understand why I couldn't use the headphones! Not been back there since.

What!? They actually said that? Gee... that's one HUGE messed up confusion! I'd be laughing too! Hehehe!

They likely weren't joking at all.

They DO have headphones, they are for the DVS (Described Video Service) for those who are low vision/ blind.

Because the assistive devices (Captioning and Audio) aren't exactly "high volume" requests, a lot of the theatre employees really don't know what the devices do or who they are for. They figure "glasses" would logically help someone SEE, and headphones would help them HEAR. It's a lack of awareness and training issue.
Yeah, that's probably what happened. It's like a hearing person saying to a deaf person, "So, you're deaf. Does that mean you can read braille?" ;)

Yeah, that's probably what happened. It's like a hearing person saying to a deaf person, "So, you're deaf. Does that mean you can read braille?" ;)

That would be one reason why my location says, "Preparing to evacuate from Houston, TX." Outta here in less than five months and twenty-five days.

That's very funny. It should be the opposite. What a fool she was. If you went anyway, were the glasses satisfactory?

Back