some hearing people still thinks....

I have had someone I was speaking to and spoke back to me say to someone else that I am deaf-mute when I needed help getting to a place. I told her that I am not. She just gets uncomfortable. I don't understand brain connection. I speak to her. She speaks to me, then tell someone I am deaf-mute? HUH?!

Yeah, once I went to an eye doctor. I didn't know that the lady at the desk had wrote 'deaf-mute' on my record. As I was telling the doctor what was my eye problem, I saw those words as he was crossing out the mute part.

Yeah, once I went to an eye doctor. I didn't know that the lady at the desk had wrote 'deaf-mute' on my record. As I was telling the doctor what was my eye problem, I saw those words as he was crossing out the mute part.

LOL. I could imagine him making an odd face as he thought you can talk. LOL.

I know, I have seen people make notes like Hearing Impaired or whatever. I don't know if I like that they do that without permission because they could write what they thought like you said in your case deaf-mute :roll:.

They sometimes ask on the form if you have something the doctor should know, and I always write down that I read lips and have a hearing loss.

I never use deaf because depending on where you live people perceive that word differently about how you communicate if you say deaf, they think you don't talk :roll:.

Don't hate us (hearing) because of our ignorance. Instead help us by educating us.

Don't hate us (hearing) because of our ignorance. Instead help us by educating us.

We are not hating hearing people. I don't hate hearing people. It is frustrating their ignorance when they refuse to learn. I try to educate hearing people, but it's up to them to be open-minded when we try to educate them. Most hearing people are nice. There are still a few that are very ignorant, and the ones I state are very few.

In my class we were reading Huck Finn and it uses the term "deaf and Dumb" and some idiot was like is that the same thing as retarded. I was like wow what an idiot.

We are not hating hearing people. I don't hate hearing people. It is frustrating their ignorance when they refuse to learn. I try to educate hearing people, but it's up to them to be open-minded when we try to educate them. Most hearing people are nice. There are still a few that are very ignorant, and the ones I state are very few.
I agree and I also know there are people like this in all walks of life. All you can do is try.

I agree..I dont think we should say that we hate hearing people but hate the views and attitudes that we, deaf people, are inferior even after trying to educate them. Hearing people with those views tend to think they know more, know what's best for us, think we arent as capable of producing ideas, discriminate us, and belittle ASL even after being educated about us.

Those kinds of views are what really hurt us educationally and ecomically. There is no need for these views but like u said..all we can is try.

I agree..I dont think we should say that we hate hearing people but hate the views and attitudes that we, deaf people, are inferior even after trying to educate them. Hearing people with those views tend to think they know more, know what's best for us, think we arent as capable of producing ideas, discriminate us, and belittle ASL even after being educated about us.

Those kinds of views are what really hurt us educationally and ecomically. There is no need for these views but like u said..all we can is try.
Well I for one have learned very much from this site and from you and others :ty: :ty: I would never suggest that deaf people are inferior and fortunately I have not seen posts from others that have said so. Clearly we don't always agree on everything but then who ever does. :dunno:

Well I for one have learned very much from this site and from you and others :ty: :ty: I would never suggest that deaf people are inferior and fortunately I have not seen posts from others that have said so. Clearly we don't always agree on everything but then who ever does. :dunno:

Aww, that's sweet. I never thought you were like that even if we disagreed on some issues from time to time. :D

I've been in this scenario before. People see me signing to my deaf friends and I overhear them talking about us. I've never understood why people can be so offended by such a beautiful language. I have noticed, though, that people are much more open to Deaf culture here in St. Augustine than in other places.
I get really angry at my Hearing classmates because they always ask me why I sign to my Deaf classmates instead of using the interpreters. Yeah, I'm glad the interpreters are there because there are a lot of things I don't yet know how to sign and they're a helpful tool in learning. I use the interpreters in a pinch, if they're standing right there but usually I'll fingerspell something rather than go find an interpreter. I'm just more comfortable communicating with someone directly rather than through another person.
Some of my classmates have gone so far as to say "Well, if they're going to go to school with Hearing people then they should learn to lipread". It makes me angry when people say things like that because from what my Deaf friends have told me, lipreading is hard to learn how to do.
Sorry for the rant but I just see things like this happening so often and it makes me mad.

I've been in this scenario before. People see me signing to my deaf friends and I overhear them talking about us. I've never understood why people can be so offended by such a beautiful language. I have noticed, though, that people are much more open to Deaf culture here in St. Augustine than in other places.
I get really angry at my Hearing classmates because they always ask me why I sign to my Deaf classmates instead of using the interpreters. Yeah, I'm glad the interpreters are there because there are a lot of things I don't yet know how to sign and they're a helpful tool in learning. I use the interpreters in a pinch, if they're standing right there but usually I'll fingerspell something rather than go find an interpreter. I'm just more comfortable communicating with someone directly rather than through another person.
Some of my classmates have gone so far as to say "Well, if they're going to go to school with Hearing people then they should learn to lipread". It makes me angry when people say things like that because from what my Deaf friends have told me, lipreading is hard to learn how to do.
Sorry for the rant but I just see things like this happening so often and it makes me mad.

Now you understand why it is too hard for us Deafies and HOH to lipread hearing people even if we have been lipreading almost all of our lives. The audists and professional authorities don't get it when they don't know what deafness is like. They expect to have miracle for us to hear with CI or stronger hearing aids. What a crock!!! That is something we have to try to teach them about our deafness and not to expect us to lipread them 24 hours and 7 days a week. :roll:

I did not read this whole thread, but did read first post and a couple others. I just wanted to say that as a hearing person, I used to see deaf people in restaurant like Denny's that sign to each other, and I always wished that I knew ASL so that I could talk to them. Since I am older now, I am glad I met some deaf people and became friends and they showed me this site so I an post here now. I think if hearing people made fun of you in restaurant or anywhere, it is because they are ignorant, or just a jerk.

My deaf friend who showed me this site a few years ago, also taught me some sign language (before then I only knew the alphabet because I was in Boy Scouts and we learned that there).

I can only say, please don't let ignorant person or jerk hurt your feelings. You are better person then for rising above their pettiness. If anything, if you read their lips and you find someone there says your dumb or something, maybe on the way out you can simply express your displeasure if you are vocal, or pass them a napkin with something as little as 'deaf people have feelings too'. I think if they have a conscious, maybe they'll take that to heart. If not, they are not worth saving anyways and you should not let them bother you.

Back