some hearing people still thinks....

I find the term 'deaf and dumb' rude and I'm a hearie. Once my sister and I were at my grandparents, we were watching a movie (can't remember which one) and there was a boy on there who was deaf, he was using sign language (maybe ASL, cos it was American but I can't be sure) my grandmother says "he is deaf and dumb" I was like "he is deaf but not dumb, deaf people aren't dumb, I have a friend who is deaf (well she was hard of hearing but I was only ten at the time so didn't know the difference) and she is not dumb at all."

Also my grandpa (grandmother's husband) is (retired now) an audiologist so he met many hard of hearing people on a daily basis. Mostly elderly people. So I was shocked that my grandmother said that, but maybe she meant dumb as in mute (not that people should use that term anyway)

That is true what you mention that deaf people are deaf and dumb, meaning that we are deaf and can not speak. We don't like to use the word "dumb" either. If a person can not talk with voice, then it would be mute instead of dumb. A lot of us Deafies ( capital D mean we use ASL whether we use voice or not) prefer to sign much better than speaking because of our funny voices (high pitch or loud talking). Hearies assumes that we should use the word dumb with the deaf and it is not funny. :(

I'm not here to offend hearing people who read this. But it is true.

I got uncomfortable when some hearing people talk about "deaf and dumb".

My hearing friend overheard other hearing people say something mean about "deaf" because they thought she looked deaf but not. she got up and says to them, "hi, I heard you" (she's not angry, just smile). They were totally speechless and embrassed. She's good with ASL and looked real deaf. It happened at restaurant.

Every Ddeaf/Hhoh wants to enjoy foods without distrub.

I am a hearing person. You of course see it from your side but this is not a deaf problem. Its content reflects you as being deaf since you are but instead of being deaf if you were fat , you were going to hear people talking about your weight. If you were from another ethnicity that was going to be a problem, if you were poor you were going to notice how different you are being treated, if you were a male who just acts a little bit relaxed you were going to be called gay immediately , so on and so on, list can go forever.

I tried to give different examples of how this same human behavior exist with various contents. Millions of people who are not deaf are exposed to same kind of treatment for various reasons everyday. It doesn't make how they treated you less important. Nobody should be treated this way, but if you look at it only as a deaf problem , you would have a limited view on this core general human problem. People who are attacking other people with no reason like this are in pain. It is an inner pain and this is their way of showing how much hurt they are. They want to hurt you so you will be in the same position they are and they see a comfort in knowing its not just them but everybody is hurt.

This is not a deaf-hearing problem. Its a human problem

Hermes

Well, it made me or other Ddeaf/Hhoh feels unwanted or feels unwelcome by some hearie people.

Last edited:
I am a hearing person. You of course see it from your side but this is not a deaf problem. Its content reflects you as being deaf since you are but instead of being deaf if you were fat , you were going to hear people talking about your weight. If you were from another ethnicity that was going to be a problem, if you were poor you were going to notice how different you are being treated, if you were a male who just acts a little bit relaxed you were going to be called gay immediately , so on and so on, list can go forever.

I tried to give different examples of how this same human behavior exist with various contents. Millions of people who are not deaf are exposed to same kind of treatment for various reasons everyday. It doesn't make how they treated you less important. Nobody should be treated this way, but if you look at it only as a deaf problem , you would have a limited view on this core general human problem. People who are attacking other people with no reason like this are in pain. It is an inner pain and this is their way of showing how much hurt they are. They want to hurt you so you will be in the same position they are and they see a comfort in knowing its not just them but everybody is hurt.

Hermes

This however is a deaf website. It is going to be important to the members who should be in the majority here. In other words "AllDeaf" meaning the deaf and hoh. This site is good for deaf people speaking of deaf issues. It should not be necessary for members to justify and explain their attitudes to the hearing population.

I understand some people have left AllDeaf because it has come to have a preponderance of hearing as members.

Please respect us Hermes.

This however is a deaf website. It is going to be important to the members who should be in the majority here. In other words "AllDeaf" meaning the deaf and hoh. This site is good for deaf people speaking of deaf issues. It should not be necessary for members to justify and explain their attitudes to the hearing population.

I understand some people have left AllDeaf because it has come to have a preponderance of hearing as members.

i second that, even if I'm hearing impaired. :)

:gpost:

I agree with you. Hearing people think that we should be like them whether we like it or not. :roll:

Good one, Botti! :thumb:

I am not sure why you are saying that, do you want me to leave? And why, because I said "this happens to everybody, dont look at it as a deaf problem, those are people who are hurt , also trying to hurt other people" ? How is this disrespectful, cant we just make this much of a conversation?

Meyag talked about an incident, I added what I think about it with all other posters, then Meyag also shared his feelings about how this incident still disturbs him. Seems like a normal , friendly conversation to me. I really didnt realize until now that we were against each other.

Since the fact that I can hear bothers you, I will stay away from you and your threads. I respect you, you do not have to share your space with me. But I am sorry, I wouldnt just stop talking with other people because you dont want to hear my opinions. If I am bothering you, I can only stop my communication with you. Because it just would be like a time somebody is telling you , you should leave them alone because you are deaf, and you stop talking all hearing people because of it. When I come here and say "dont let anybody to treat you different", I dont say it out of pitty. I am saying it because I will do same when it comes to myself. I wont accept being treated different. Not being able to hear doesnt make you a different race.

If you want to see more deaf people here, instead of asking me to be quite , invite more deaf people. So more people can benefit from it. And please, dont turn everything into "who is deaf , who can hear.. " There are not two different races living on this earth. One of us is Not an alien.

I respect you Bottesini, I have got no hard feelings towards you.

P.s: I do not know if Mayeg is a male or female. I refered him as he, please correct me if I am wrong.
:gpost:

I agree with you. Hearing people think that we should be like them whether we like it or not. :roll:

Sir, be as you are. But please do not expect me to be like you and see everything in total division. I understand this is how you think and I am walking on a mine field. Everything I say may or may not offend you. But my world is not divided into nations, colors, religions, deaf or hearing people. So if the person you are requires you to see everything I say or do wrong, I will not argue it. Perhaps if you target a naturaly hostile person, he may try to force you to accept his point of view and you can prove your point. I didnt come here as an enemy, I can not help you in this.

I believe if I excuse myself from this thread all problems will be solved. I hope it will be.

Hermes

I am not sure why you are saying that, do you want me to leave? And why, because I said "this happens to everybody, dont look at it as a deaf problem, those are people who are hurt , also trying to hurt other people" ? How is this disrespectful, cant we just make this much of a conversation?

Meyag talked about an incident, I added what I think about it with all other posters, then Meyag also shared his feelings about how this incident still disturbs him. Seems like a normal , friendly conversation to me. I really didnt realize until now that we were against each other.

Since the fact that I can hear bothers you, I will stay away from you and your threads. I respect you, you do not have to share your space with me. But I am sorry, I wouldnt just stop talking with other people because you dont want to hear my opinions. If I am bothering you, I can only stop my communication with you. Because it just would be like a time somebody is telling you , you should leave them alone because you are deaf, and you stop talking all hearing people because of it. When I come here and say "dont let anybody to treat you different", I dont say it out of pitty. I am saying it because I will do same when it comes to myself. I wont accept being treated different. Not being able to hear doesnt make you a different race.

If you want to see more deaf people here, instead of asking me to be quite , invite more deaf people. So more people can benefit from it. And please, dont turn everything into "who is deaf , who can hear.. " There are not two different races living on this earth. One of us is Not an alien.

P.s: I do not know if Mayeg is a male or female. I refered him as he, please correct me if I am wrong.

Sir, be as you are. But please do not expect me to be like you and see everything in total division. I understand this is how you think and I am walking on a mine field. Everything I say may or may not offend you. But my world is not divided into nations, colors, religions, deaf or hearing people. So if the person you are requires you to see everything I say or do wrong, I will not argue it. Perhaps if you target a naturaly hostile person, he may try to force you to accept his point of view and you can prove your point. I didnt come here as an enemy, I can not help you in this.

I believe if I excuse myself from this thread all problems will be solved. I hope it will be.

Hermes

Quite a lot of us think the title AllDeaf means something.

AllDeaf has a Facebook presence if hearing feel a need for deaf interaction.

Please talk to site owner, ban all people but deaf from this site and state that you want to be in isolation. Why are you blaming me for that? I didnt lie and pretend like not hearing for coming here. It was an open website when I joined. If it said I was not allowed to join then I would go to a different place. Did I make you think that I came here to invade this website just by saying "Mayeg its not a deaf but a human issue?" . I think I accidently was here when you needed to target somebody. I really can not move every person who can hear out of this website. I am not their leader. Please instead of targeting me, forward your concerns to administration.

Thank you
Hermes

Hermes

Hello Hermes,

I'm sorry if you feel that way. This is how I feel. I'm not the only one. Other Ddeaf/Hhoh told me same experience they had with some hearie people at restaurant, at work or at school or anywhere. I'm not saying all hearie are like that. I'm saying "some hearie". I'm not afraid to express how I feel about some hearie people. I do not except you to be like me and secondly I'm not a racist. For some hearie who don't understand about Ddeaf/Hhoh. Again, I've had bad experience with some hearie people before, It's just that they are ignorant. I do have some hearie friend who's understanding about me being Ddeaf/Hhoh.

By the way, I'm a male. Peace with you.

Hermes

Yeah, deaf people are not the only ones treated like that. It's stereotyping and simplifying variations between people to stuff them into categories that may have characteristics that the particular individual doesn't have.

Like for example, some hearing people who haven't met deaf people might think they're all dumb and think the first deaf person they meet is dumb. Some people might think that fat people are lazy when some people are really fat because of other reasons.

The people who attack others to drag them down are bullies like the ones at schools who pick on people who look and act different. They need to learn how to get along. :grouphug:

Hello Hermes,

I'm sorry if you feel that way. This is how I feel. I'm not the only one. Other Ddeaf/Hhoh told me same experience they had with some hearie people at restaurant, at work or at school or anywhere. I'm not saying all hearie are like that. I'm saying "some hearie". I'm not afraid to express how I feel about some hearie people. I do not except you to be like me and secondly I'm not a racist. For some hearie who don't understand about Ddeaf/Hhoh. Again, I've had bad experience with some hearie people before, It's just that they are ignorant. I do have some hearie friend who's understanding about me being Ddeaf/Hhoh.

By the way, I'm a male. Peace with you.

My second message was not forwarded to you in any ways. I was asked to stay away from this thread because I can hear. I gave the reaction you were giving. Just like you say "so what I am deaf I want to eat at a restaurant", I said " so what I can hear, I am just kindly expressing my thoughts here" . I have got no intention to support people who were being rude to you. It doesnt matter to me if they can hear or not. They do not magicly become people I respect because they can hear. Every human deserves to be respected but they wont get it , if they can not act like one.

We are always in peace
Hermes

Bebonang said:

Hermes

Bebo is a female, Hermes ... :)

Whoa, guys, I think this is a misunderstanding, because I saw absolutely no disrespect in what Hermes had to say. Besides -- Treat others as you would like to be treated.

It is great getting some new blood in here, IMO. So, Hermes, thanks for sharing your thoughts -- it was refreshing to see different ideas on the same thing.

I do agree that the way people treat others -- race, religion, homosexuality, deaf, etc --is a human problem. However, having personal experiences kind of makes it hard to be impartial to the grand scheme of things. The way people treat each other for being different is truly divisive and contributes to mistrust and discord. How can people relate to people? How can wounds be healed?

Good one, deafbajagal!! lol
I just met deaf guy the other day who was a complete jerk. And I thought to myself, now that's what I call deaf and dumbass!

I must admit, I find myself continually being surprised to see the sheer ignorance of people not exposed to the diversity of Deaf community, and a majority of them are hearing. I mean, aren't human beings intelligent enough to grasp complex ideas nowadays? Gawd. I'm frustrated when I encounter people like this -- whenever they say crap about deaf people, gay people, jewish people, black, etc etc. I get mad when that happens. Confronting that problem is an entirely different ballpark.

I am a "hearie" but I have seen this situation many times with my friends. They are often the voice of reason and tell me to cool off when all I wan't to do is hurl abuse at the nincompoops. I dislike stereotyping in all of its forms.
One of my deafie friends forwarded me this (links to a tshirt for deafies) which I think is relevant.

All I can say is not all hearing people believe or say that. In society there are all types. You just have to shake it off and chalk it up to their ignorance. It's really their problem but I can see how it could affect others if they let it.

My second message was not forwarded to you in any ways. I was asked to stay away from this thread because I can hear. I gave the reaction you were giving. Just like you say "so what I am deaf I want to eat at a restaurant", I said " so what I can hear, I am just kindly expressing my thoughts here" . I have got no intention to support people who were being rude to you. It doesnt matter to me if they can hear or not. They do not magicly become people I respect because they can hear. Every human deserves to be respected but they wont get it , if they can not act like one.

We are always in peace
Hermes

You are a liar who twists words. I said we should not have to justify our feelings to you and you should respect us. I did not say leave. "More like listen and learn."

It does not escape my attention that Hermes was the god of thieves and tricksters.

You are a liar who twists words. I said we should not have to justify our feelings to you and you should respect us. I did not say leave. "More like listen and learn."
It does not escape my attention that Hermes was the god of thieves and tricksters.

I was asked to stay away from this thread because I can hear. I gave the reaction you were giving. Just like you say "so what I am deaf I want to eat at a restaurant", I said " so what I can hear, I am just kindly expressing my thoughts here" .
Hermes

It seems to me you do not want me to talk here like anybody else. So you either want me to leave or stay and act like I am not here . Your words like "deaf people must be majority here" didnt sound like "you are welcome here".

Plus you started to become rude. Now you are calling me a liar. Why are you becoming nasty? Do you want to provoke me, get this thread locked and then say see it was his mistake? It will not happen, but please do not call me names.

If you would like to take a look at it, you can google " hermes trismegistus " also you can search for the book " corpus hermeticum ". It is an ancient writing, copyright free and avaliable on the internet .

Bebo is a female, Hermes ... :)

Yes I apoligize for that. It is difficult to guess people's gender from their nickname sometimes. So I tend to call them he if I dont know their gender. Thank you for letting me know.

Hermes

Back