some hearing people still thinks....

I just met deaf guy the other day who was a complete jerk. And I thought to myself, now that's what I call deaf and dumbass!

hahahahahaha that's so funny. you have no idea. that's sooo funny

my hearing sons were over heard other table. Teenager kids were making of us when we sign language. My sons approached them, do you have any problem with my Deaf mother? Isn't ASL bother you? Teenage kids gulped, they did not realize my sons are not Deaf. :giggle:

Afterward, they respect us.

Good for your sons! I was having dinner with some Deaf friends not long ago, and of course I was voice off and waving to get the waitresses attention, etc. Some people at a table very close to us were complaining that we must be drunk because we were being disruptive. (Of course we weren't..we were just chatting and having a good time!) They must have thought I was deaf, because I finally got up and went to their table and told them they really needed to be more careful, because you never know when someone who is socializing with Deaf friends is hearing. Told them the only people in the restaurant that were being rude was them, and if our signing bothered them that much, perhaps the best thing for them to do was eat and get the hell out.

Good for your sons! I was having dinner with some Deaf friends not long ago, and of course I was voice off and waving to get the waitresses attention, etc. Some people at a table very close to us were complaining that we must be drunk because we were being disruptive. (Of course we weren't..we were just chatting and having a good time!) They must have thought I was deaf, because I finally got up and went to their table and told them they really needed to be more careful, because you never know when someone who is socializing with Deaf friends is hearing. Told them the only people in the restaurant that were being rude was them, and if our signing bothered them that much, perhaps the best thing for them to do was eat and get the hell out.

I would have loved to be a fly on the wall, Jillio! :lol:

It makes me mad too. It's so dumb for them to think that we're deaf and dumb. Personally I hate ANYONE saying that. Because I was teased plently enough as i was growing up and here i am, 15 years later. (not completely 15 yet). I rather call them Hearing and Dumb if they said anything about us being deaf. Hah, we're even more lucky enough to have the advanage to turn off our 'ears' anytime we want if we don't want to hear a word that they're saying. I do that to my sister sometimes and its a moment of peace for me :-D

It makes me mad too. It's so dumb for them to think that we're deaf and dumb. Personally I hate ANYONE saying that. Because I was teased plently enough as i was growing up and here i am, 15 years later. (not completely 15 yet). I rather call them Hearing and Dumb if they said anything about us being deaf. Hah, we're even more lucky enough to have the advanage to turn off our 'ears' anytime we want if we don't want to hear a word that they're saying. I do that to my sister sometimes and its a moment of peace for me :-D

If anybody call you "deaf and dumb" right in your face, just say "yeah.. Deaf (pointing at yourself) ... and Dumb (pointing at the bully)". ;)

I absolutely love it when hearing people are boggled out of their freaking minds when all of a sudden I use my voice to say something to them after they have seen me signing with a bunch of deaf people. It always happens and it's fascinating to see how they react.

This reminds me of one time where my aunt who spoke Spanish, my grandma who spoke German and I with a friend did sign language at a restaurant. This poor waitress was just standing there with the paper and pen in her hands, her mouth wide open. We did this in our language ordering our food. She was about to leave until my aunt spoke in English in what we wanted. That got her!

If anybody call you "deaf and dumb" right in your face, just say "yeah.. Deaf (pointing at yourself) ... and Dumb (pointing at the bully)". ;)

inochi said:
I absolutely love it when hearing people are boggled out of their freaking minds when all of a sudden I use my voice to say something to them after they have seen me signing with a bunch of deaf people. It always happens and it's fascinating to see how they react.

This reminds me of one time where my aunt who spoke Spanish, my grandma who spoke German and I with a friend did sign language at a restaurant. This poor waitress was just standing there with the paper and pen in her hands, her mouth wide open. We did this in our language ordering our food. She was about to leave until my aunt spoke in English in what we wanted. That got her!

:lol: .... :thumb:

I'm not here to offend hearing people who read this. But it is true.

I got uncomfortable when some hearing people talk about "deaf and dumb".

My hearing friend overheard other hearing people say something mean about "deaf" because they thought she looked deaf but not. she got up and says to them, "hi, I heard you" (she's not angry, just smile). They were totally speechless and embrassed. She's good with ASL and looked real deaf. It happened at restaurant.

My friend and I noticed some hearing people act 'bully" who made fun of other deaf because of sign language you know communicate with other friends at restaurant.
You know what? Why someone made fun of sign language in restaurant, I mean. You sit and eat right? (Because you're hungry right), so, why bother making fun of deaf. That's stupid. And they don't finish their foods. Why focus on deaf instead of foods.

my friend and I had a bad experience at some restaurant. We pick where we can have a quiet conversation without some "bully" hearing people distrub us. And sometime take out. Or look for private seat so that they will not bother us. But sometimes many 'hearing" people there, waitress politely and says, that's table we had now, we says, "ok" we had to you know ignore them when someone made fun of our signing.

Some hearing always seem uncomfortable seeing a deaf person signed in restaurant or it bother them. I remembered a hearing person insulted that says "look like a monkey" (she think that deaf is acting like a monkey gesture because of sign, WRONG!). We don't sign like a monkey, but monkey did signed in real life but not how we act like a monkey.

My partner and I went to a good restaurant, (we always go there as regular customer, waitress know us very well). Someone bought her 8 yrs old daughter to restaurant because her mom is a waitress which is our waitress always. However, I was surprised when 8 yrs old girl asked my partner, "is deaf people you know a retard"?. My partner explained that to her, "oh no, deaf people are not retard, deaf people can't hear, born deaf can't hear". She says, "oh, I heard it from school". I was like, "OMG" and I just silent. Her mom embrassed and says, "I'm sorry". I can't imagine hearing kids would believe like that. I know 8 yrs old is just a kid and didn't understand but not a good idea, someone must have told her that "deaf are retard" at her school.

Every Ddeaf/Hhoh wants to enjoy foods without distrub.

That was once an acceptable term, but not anymore. It's equivalent to calling us stupid. I am sorry you had these expierences, but thats the hearies for you. I see it not just out in the real world, but on here as well. They do not have any respect for us and its sad :(

Exactly, I have the same expierences. Their like :shock: holy crap he can talk. Thats the look they have on their faces. I have a pretty dam good voice and I know so because I used to be hard of hearing. My voice and talking abilities are very good, even better then most hearing people. :D

That was once an acceptable term, but not anymore. It's equivalent to calling us stupid. I am sorry you had these expierences, but thats the hearies for you. I see it not just out in the real world, but on here as well. They do not have any respect for us and its sad :(

Hi Jasin,

Yea, I know. (sigh). It's always going to happens at any restaurant where some hearing people would think like that. Oh, well. That's why me and my friend pick where we can have a quiet conversation or take out.

You initially ordered your food in three languages and you say you "got her"? I don't understand; what was it that needed to "gotten"?

Comparing Asl to Spanish or German is ridiculous. Asl is not just another language its our right, we have a right to sign.

I find the fact that you would deem to call anyone disrespectful extremely ironic, given the disrespectful way you treat everyone...deaf and hearing included. You really need to stop making such blanket statements about entire populations. It shows your lack of experience and your judgemental nature.

I haven't heard the term of deaf and dumb in a long time. I don't know why they still use it as of today, it's outdated. We might as well call them 'hearing and dumb' when they come up with dumb questions that's being asked about our deafness, such as "Do you drive?" OMG!! They act so surprised to learn that deaf people can drive. :roll:

Same here. If hearing people think Deaf are dumb. I will say Deaf and Hearing are the same! It can be Hearing and Dumb. The Hearing don't know sign language or narrow-minded about to learn sign language to communicate with deaf and hoh people.

Comparing Asl to Spanish or German is ridiculous. Asl is not just another language its our right, we have a right to sign.

And people of Spanish heritage have the right to spek their language, and people of German heritage have the right to speak their language. And Deaf Spanish people have the right to use Spanish sign, and German Deaf people have the right to German sign.

I haven't heard the term of deaf and dumb in a long time. I don't know why they still use it as of today, it's outdated. We might as well call them 'hearing and dumb' when they come up with dumb questions that's being asked about our deafness, such as "Do you drive?" OMG!! They act so surprised to learn that deaf people can drive. :roll:

Cheri, back in those days, "dumb" meant mute/can't talk, not like stupid. Still, dumb, back in those days did not apply to all deafies but that is another discussion, lol....

Cheri, back in those days, "dumb" meant mute/can't talk, not like stupid. Still, dumb, back in those days did not apply to all deafies but that is another discussion, lol....

Exactly. It was a term used to identify all kinds of muteness, whether it was associated with hearing loss or not. The meaning of the word has evolved and changed to include other meanings, such as "not very bright." Just like the word bad used tomean something that was not good. It has now taken on a slang meaning that is exactly the opposite of its origingal meaning. Language changes and evolves. We can't compare the contextual use of a word from 50 years ago with the contextual use of the same word today for that very reason.

My college professor been talking about that "Deaf and Dumb" He said that it rude to say Deaf and Dumb to us. He was saying it without saying it rudely in front of me. :lol:

Back