Some Captioning to End?

D

Deaf258

Television Captioning Censorship Hurts Family Values

I dont know if this is a repost, but if it is, please merge with existing thread. From NAD.org: http://www.nad.org/openhouse/action/alerts/captioningcensorship/pr.html

Television Captioning Censorship Hurts Family Values
Posted October 2, 2003

The National Association of the Deaf (NAD) urged President Bush to overturn a recent decision by the U.S. Department of Education to declare almost 200 television shows inappropriate for captioning by the Department’s Technology and Media Services for Individuals with Disabilities program, effective October 1, 2003. According to NAD President, Andrew J. Lange, the Department's action is government censorship and contradicts President Bush’s promotion of family values and parental accountability.

Under the current guidelines, applicants for captioning grants take into account the preferences of consumers, through grantee Consumer Advisory Boards (CABs) and other feedback mechanisms, when selecting “educational, news, or informational” programs for captioning. The recent decision deeming almost 200 television shows inappropriate for captioning apparently was based entirely on additional descriptive categories and actions of an external panel of five unnamed individuals.

Required federal rulemaking processes were completely disregarded, thus the public was not provided with the opportunity to provide written opinions, data, or arguments on the recently narrowed definition of “educational, news, or informational” programs for captioning.

Nancy J. Bloch, NAD Executive Director, said, “This secretive process amounts to censorship, which runs counter to the principles of the First Amendment freedom of speech. This action also segregates over 28 million deaf and hard of hearing individuals from access to the same shows as everyone else in America." In addition, Bloch added, families of persons with a hearing loss (parents, siblings, and grandparents in particular) bring the number of persons adversely impacted to many millions more.

Most if not all of the censored shows are in fact educational and informative. These include reruns of family favorites such as “Bewitched” and modern shows such as “Law & Order.” “Disney Monthly Original Children’s Movies” and “Pokemon” cartoons, fixtures in today’s youth culture, are also being censored. Virtually all sports programming has been censored, isolating deaf and hard of hearing students of all ages, not only in the classroom, but within the family, at the school lunch table, and on the playground. The censorship of these shows not only prevents deaf and hard of hearing children from watching shows that help them learn about the trends, culture, and society around them, censorship also prevents deaf and hard of hearing parents from making informed decisions on appropriate programming for their children.

“Without captioning, millions of deaf and hard of hearing parents, such as myself, are unable to preview shows for appropriate content for their children, to watch television programming with their families, or to engage in dialogue with their children in response to televised programs. Education does not stop at the schoolhouse door. My duties and responsibilities as a parent to pass on our family values to my children have been undermined by a few government officials," said Lange who called upon the President to practice what he preaches and restore parental authority by overturning the recent censorship decision.

Similar efforts to censor captioning in 1998 were met by a massive, nationwide outcry of consumer protest. These censorship efforts failed, in part, because then-Department of Education Secretary Richard W. Riley affirmed that the government should not “supersede the individual judgment of millions of deaf Americans” nor should the Department single out particular television programs resulting in a denial of access for deaf and hard of hearing individuals. See Riley’s letter at: http://www.nad.org/infocenter/newsroom/nadnews/EdSecretaryRileyRespon.html

“We’ve always enjoyed a close relationship with the Department in promoting education and family values. This rehashing of the 1998 issue is very disappointing,” Bloch said. Consumers are encouraged to share their views and opinions with Congressional members and Department of Education officials; contact information is available at:
http://www.congress.org/congressorg/home/

For a list of recently approved and disapproved television programs for U.S. Department of Education captioning support, click on:
http://www.nad.org/openhouse/action/alerts/captioningcensorship/list.html

I don't watch tv anymore. Hmm...

If I have kids (deaf or not)... I ain't let them watch tv. only movie. :lol:

Gawd! These are harmless shows on television! Why the hell would Bush want to stop making them captioned? Jeez!

Oh man.. that article above are old news... NAD released a newsletter recently... read below!

However, myself, I do not believe what NAD was accusing Dept of Ed. of.... I do not view what Dept of Ed. are doing as censorship. Dept of Ed has the total right to refuse the funds to caption non-educational shows such as NASCAR racing shows which is a sport show not educational show though.. All of those race shows WERE captoined and NASCAR final race ended in Nov. since Dept of Edu. wanted to stop funding effective Oct 1st. All of the show that Dept of Edu listed as disapproved shows were STILL captioned but not at Dept of Edu's expenses. Those shows HAS to be captioned according to FCC LAW since they are not NEW since new shows can be exempted. Also i do not believe the story below issued by NAD, they just want you to believe. I have emailed NAD telling them it is NOT CENSORSHIP that Dept of Edu. is doing. that's why NAD fails to realize that all show CANT stop showing captioning due to FCC LAW and fails to realize that all shows must be 100% captioned by year 2006! NAD's response was
"We have in our possession a letter to Captioning Agencies sent by the Department of Education. We've met with the Department and confirmed this.

It is up to you to decide what you want to believe."
that's it!?! they didn't offer to show me a proof of the letter but just tell me this above.
Oh well, I really think NAD really wasted their HUGE breath whining and complaining about cc censorship! oh well

I thought there was a thread about this somewhere in AD last month... hmm OK here's Newsletter released by NAD few days ago....

=============================================

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
NADezine
NAD Applauds NCD Opposition To Captioning Censorship
Vol. 5, No. 25 -- December 17, 2003

News:

1) NAD Applauds NCD Opposition To Captioning Censorship
2) NAD Holiday Open House - December 18th

New Members Only Area columns:

3) Mind Over Matter
By Chris Heuer
4) Fairness Revisited
By Leighann Marquiss

Job Market Online:
5) Find your new job today on the NAD website!

The information contained within this NADezine may be
distributed freely and reprinted, provided credit is given
to the NAD.

-----
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
snipped to remove advertising that may conflict with AD rules and to reduce the size to AD's limit.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

NAD Applauds NCD Opposition To Captioning Censorship

The NAD applauds National Council on Disabilities (NCD)
Chair Lex Frieden for taking decisive action to urge
Department of Education Secretary Roderick Page to reverse
censorship of captioned television programs.

On October 2, 2003, the National Association of the Deaf
(NAD) urged President Bush to overturn a recent decision
by the Department to declare almost 200 television shows
inappropriate for captioning, effective October 1, 2003.

The NCD received Congressional and public inquiries about
this matter after the NAD brought the captioning
censorship issue to the public's attention and urged
active advocacy. The NAD explained to the NCD that the
Department, without public input or an announced
definition, narrowed captioned programming based on
feedback from a panel. The NCD also learned that the
panelists had no idea that they were being used for the
purpose of captioning censorship.

In addition, the Department pointed to FCC regulations to
excuse its actions but NCD countered that those
regulations only apply to new programming and will be
fully effective in 2006. "It is strongly recommended that
Department expeditiously act to reverse its
determination," said Frieden.

Frieden explains that,"This decision by Department not
only unnecessarily excludes 28 million deaf and hard of
hearing people from accessing programming that is
available to the general public, but it also will
adversely impact millions of other Americans, including
those who utilize captions to learn English; children who
are learning to speak; as well as public establishments
such as restaurants and health clubs across the United
States whose patrons use captioning in noise-filled
environments."

"The NAD applauds the strong stand by the NCD. We hope
that the Department realizes that its actions run counter
to the Bush Administration's positive accomplishments,"
said Nancy J. Bloch, NAD Executive Director.

The letter from NCD Chair Lex Frieden to Department
Secretary Roderick Page is posted on:
http://www.ncd.gov/newsroom/correspondence/paige_12-15-03.html

The NAD is advocating for the reversal of captioning
censorship. To learn more about NAD advocacy efforts on
this matter, please visit:
http://www.nad.org/openhouse/action/alerts/captioningcensorship/pr.html

SNIPPED! TO shorten this post to under 10000 characters geez!

About the NAD
Established in 1880, the National Association of the Deaf
(NAD) is the nation's oldest and largest nonprofit
organization safeguarding the accessibility and civil
rights of 28 million deaf and hard of hearing Americans
across a broad range of areas including education,
employment, health care, and telecommunications.

The NAD is a dynamic federation of 51 state association
affiliates including the District of Columbia,
organizational affiliates, and national members. Primary
areas of focus include grassroots advocacy and
empowerment, policy development and research, legal
assistance, captioned media, information and publications,
and youth leadership. More information about the NAD is
available at www.nad.org <http://www.nad.org/>.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
National Association of the Deaf
814 Thayer Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910-4500
301-587-1789 TTY
301-587-1791 FAX
301-587-1788 Voice
NADinfo@nad.org
http://www.nad.org/

NOTE:
This information is a product of the NAD. Copyright 2003
National Association of the Deaf. This NADezine may be
copied, printed, and distributed freely with credit given
to the National Association of the Deaf.

The NADezine will go out about twice a month. Eventually
the NADezine will go out to NAD national members only, so
if you are not a NAD member and want to keep receiving
this NADezine, please consider joining the NAD! Contact
the NAD membership department (nadmember@nad.org) for
information on membership costs and benefits.

If you received a copy from a friend, and would like to
receive this electronic magazine (E-zine) yourself, go
online at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NADezine and sign
up there. To be removed from this list just do a "REPLY"
and you will automatically be deleted.

Also, why should NAD want Dept of Ed continue to funds those shows like NASCAR at taxpayer's expense!! Dept of Edu. funds comes from Taxpayers! I think Dept of Edu. was correct to eliminate those funds for those noneducational shows and force the studio that make the shows cover the cost of captioning! I do not give a freak about the panelist being unaware that they are used to decide which show is not educational. I believe they are doing good jobs because those 200 shows listed as disapproved makes sense to me. I believe the panelist was looking at the content of the shows.. that shows how naive NAD and NCD are! really! Afterall there is a FCC law requiring all shows be captioned 100% 2006 so what! now if you find the list of 200 disapproved then find the shows you reguarly watch so make sure at the end of show, watch the credit in captioning, it will tell you who it is captioned by. (of course sometime it is at beginning of the show. so watch out for it) if you notice there is no mention of "Caption funded by Dept of Edu." something to that effect then you know that the show is no longer funded by Dept. of Edu.! but it is still captioned! you tell me why it is still captioned oh ----> FCC LAW!!! <<<----- there you go! but if you found a mention of Dept of Edu. in any show AFTER the newsletter released by NAD and NCD, there may be reason that Dept of Edu was told to reverse their decision.. stupid stupid! that means we have to foot the bills to caption the shows thru taxes!! damn!

Ok enough of my rambling! stepping off the soap box giving it back to Dixie from other forum I snatched from! :-D

It was problem for talk about without Closed Caption. It mean talk about try to get approve for Closed Caption to get Educator, New, information. But, the require has to be 900 hours in FCC work on Closed Caption. But, in 2006 will be all require to get full Closed Caption! See, you have to be patient it. They will work on to get more grow up and get closed caption.

I would like Television one day to like have problem with the soundwave and people couldn't recieve audio and had to watch the television muted to realize what we go through :)

I made a big deal out of it because:

1. Deafies have the right to know what is going on and watch the same shows other hearing people do.

2. Captioning encourages people to read and improve English.

3. Deaf parents have the right to monitor which TV shows are appropriate for their children. If the show is not captioned and the kids are watching it, how would the Deaf parents KNOW what kind of dialogue is being said on that show?

I am just keeping it simple and to the point.

VERY SAD NEWS from the federal government on captioning of popular television shows

Caption Cutback is "Major Setback"
By Leonard Hall

Deaf people across the country received bad news from the federal government on captioning of popular television shows.

National Association of the Deaf (NAD) delivered the bad news by a press release stating that the U.S. Department of Education has declared more than 200 popular television programs inappropriate for captioning. The department claimed the shows don't fit the required definition of "educational, news or informational" programming (read more)

http://www.deafnewspaper.com/home/closedcaptions2.html

That is so Unfair! Hearing people can watch all shows and movies etc. when deaf people have their limited of watching and understanding what is going on...

:wtf:

It's not fair! It would make us deaf fans to fight for our rights to have closed captions on TV!!! What are we going to do now?

:fu2: at for those people who make them not captioned on tv.

That's not fair!... :smash:

How are we going to watch T.V. Shows with NO closed captions?....What happened to our rights?.... :|

Yep, I already know all about it. *Sigh* Welcome to the New World Order !The United Nations in NYC is tryin' to change our "Constitution"... to destroy our "Bill of Rights", "Rights of Privacy" ...etc,etc. Deafies like us are goin' to be like "holocaust" Jews, "holocaust" black people (those who used to be slaves in the past)... and so forth. The Gov't people don't think that it is necessary for the deaf people to access C.C., because they think it wasted their $$. So, they are usin' that $$ to go somewhere else. Much the same with interpreter services, the Gov't people will cut the funds as well.

Yeah, this is a pain in the ass. But at least they aren't saying that they can't caption at all. Just that the producers/networks/whatever has to pay for them without the help of the department of education. So we'll just see more of the ads at the beginning and end of shows, like on Simpsons where the captions have a Butterfingers ad.

It is just as unfair as to expect VR to pay for your interpreter at your job interview! Legally, VR is not bound to pay for your interpreter, but they are there to "help" you. Your interviewer is legally bound to provide the interpreter, not VR. This idea or concept applies here. If you want to place the blame for the shows no longer being captioned, it would be the producers and stations of the tv shows! Department of Education has been "helping" the Deaf for a very long time by captioning the tv shows. It makes sense, due to Federal funding cutbacks, that Department of Education would make this decision to no longer provide or support captioning of the shows. The responsibility now lies on the shoulder of the people who own the rights to air the tv programs. It will be Hell for us, the Deafies and HoH peeps, until a couple of years later when all media should be 100% accessible to the Deaf, including every tv show and commercials. I cannot wait for this day to come!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back