Solar eclipse on aug 21, 2017

Calvin

In Hazzard County
Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm in the 70% area. :)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/weat...r-eclipse-will-have-besides-darkness/70002407

Last edited:
I'm in the Charleston area. People here are going nuts. Every hotel/motel/B&B room is booked. Schools, government offices, some businesses and roads will be closed that day.

We've got our eclipse-viewing glasses. :cool2:

I'm in the path of totality. My town is totally booked, even public lands have been reserved/rented. O_o So glad I don't work for Walmart anymore, I sure don't want to deal with the chaos and insanity there.

I'm in the Charleston area. People here are going nuts. Every hotel/motel/B&B room is booked. Schools, government offices, some businesses and roads will be closed that day.

We've got our eclipse-viewing glasses. :cool2:
We are in Anderson so it's absolutely just as crazy, everything is booked , it's seems this part of South Carolina is just as bad as your part...I've even heard of a couple who are getting married at that exact time and handing out solar glasses before the nuptials to each there own I guess .

I'm jealous of you guys. I'm only in a 70% zone. Which is still pretty cool though. The last eclipse I saw was when I was about 7.

I still need to get my glasses yet... best buy were out of the single units...no way was I gonna buy 10 of them...! (pack of 10). Will either go Monday or wait til Weds as I have an eye appointment then.

I'm in the 97% range... just north of Charlotte.

:( Only get 60%. Still, In 1997 I was in Bogatá Colombia during a total eclipse, which took me by surprise. At 7000 ft altitude the light was truly strange and amazing. Sorry about all the hype. I hope you folks in the total area can just get up on your roofs and feel a private connection with the heavens.

I'm in the 70% range. I told a friend that I'll probably have my nose in my work with some project and completely forget about it. He said to set a timer on my computer to dim to 70% as a reminder. :D

I am in the 60% area. Very close to 50%. *pouts*

Last time I saw a complete solar eclipse was in July 1991. I lived on 8,000 feet. It was amazing. When the moon reached sun, we all were able to see flame wave shadow on the ground. It was like ocean reflection.

I recall there were several car accidents at the time. Oops.

I still need to get my glasses yet... best buy were out of the single units...no way was I gonna buy 10 of them...! (pack of 10). Will either go Monday or wait til Weds as I have an eye appointment then.

I'm in the 97% range... just north of Charlotte.

Bring your chair, umbrella and make a sign. You can sell glasses for profit. :P

Just on the totality edge at Spartanburg, being closer to the mountains, weather gets unpredictable here.

A group of fifth-grade students in Maywood, Illinois, view the July 20, 1963, eclipse with “sunscopes.” By piercing a three-millimeter hole in cardboard boxes to create crude pinhole cameras, the students could watch an inverted image of the eclipse cross the inside of the box without harming their eyes.viewing eclipse.jpg

ASL solar eclipse safety tips interpreted by Jason Hurdich:

It is 92% in Birmingham and if I can drive, so I would go to eastern TN, outside of Chattanooga, or north as Smokey Mountain to watch the total eclipse, but too bad, I can't drive because not legal to meet minimum visual field requirement. The traffic could be issue - it is bad in Oregon.

I'm planning to make a pinhole or record with my iPhone camera blindly.

I'm in salem.... urg we are already flooded with people. Plus the whole state has a fire ban because we still have 3 wild fires. Yay oregon...

Back