Social workers anyone?

Sherlyn

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone here have social work experience and if you did, how did you cope and what are the difficulties you face?

I'd be grateful for your input!

Hello!
I just completed my bachelors of social work and an internship with vocational rehabilitation. I will be starting my masters of social work in a few weeks.
I also have sensorial bilateral moderate hearing loss.
Luckily working with other social workers you will find that they are understanding of what accommodations you might need.
And with clients I find that being honest is the best thing to do. I ask clients to make sure the face me when talking and to try not to cover their mouths.
There will always be ignorant and rude people you encounter, but for the most part I have not had any issues.

Hello!
I just completed my bachelors of social work and an internship with vocational rehabilitation. I will be starting my masters of social work in a few weeks.
I also have sensorial bilateral moderate hearing loss.
Luckily working with other social workers you will find that they are understanding of what accommodations you might need.
And with clients I find that being honest is the best thing to do. I ask clients to make sure the face me when talking and to try not to cover their mouths.
There will always be ignorant and rude people you encounter, but for the most part I have not had any issues.

Hello! Thank you for your response! How about phone calls? How do you handle that considering a lot of phone calls with clients is required?

Hello! Thank you for your response! How about phone calls? How do you handle that considering a lot of phone calls with clients is required?
You could always ask for a captioned phone as an accommodation. If I could not sit somewhere quiet then I would need to ask for a captioned phone.

You could always ask for a captioned phone as an accommodation. If I could not sit somewhere quiet then I would need to ask for a captioned phone.

Wow those exists?! I never knew!!! I wonder how accurate they are though?

wow! you gals are so behind with modern technology.

VRS-video relay service, 24/7 interpreters, and FREE!

VRI-Video Remote Interpreting

Last edited:
wow! you gals are so behind with modern technology.

VRS-video relay service, 24/7 interpreters, and FREE!

VRI-Video Remote Interpreting

These won't apply to me though.. I have no knowledge in ASL at all. :(

Wow those exists?! I never knew!!! I wonder how accurate they are though?
My audi office have a captioned phone that he can get for people that want one. You could also call a phone company handicap office and they'll be able to tell you how to get
a captioned phone . I have also seen an ad on TV for a captioned phone recently .

If the OP is an older person it not surprising to me that they don't know ASL . I know older people that don't use ASL , I did learn ASL but when I moved back east I had no one
to use it with .

That was some funny shit! Its a blur to me even if they sign ASL at snail pace. I admit to knowing only SEE/PSE (deaf for 50 yrs). ASL makes no sense to me, sorry!!

Wait wait wait a min, you are deaf and you do not know ASL?

Wa-wa-wait! I'm at the moderate to severe range so i still hear with my hearing aids and speak. Was never exposed to any ASL because my mum found out she had hearing loss only when she had me at the late age of 38. I wanted to learn ASL but my mum had this stupid conception that if you use ASL, your hearing will get worse (i was young and dumb :( ). Went through mainstream school with hearing aids. No one used ASL around me.

If the OP is an older person it not surprising to me that they don't know ASL . I know older people that don't use ASL , I did learn ASL but when I moved back east I had no one
to use it with .

I agree because my mum does things a hearie can do and doesnt understand her condition. I ever told her about learning ASL but she seemed reluctant to learn despite making my siblings and I having to shout at her for her to hear us. Then she goes mad saying "why are you shouting at me?!"

Talk about irony... :confused:

My audi office have a captioned phone that he can get for people that want one. You could also call a phone company handicap office and they'll be able to tell you how to get
a captioned phone . I have also seen an ad on TV for a captioned phone recently .

I'll look into it. Hopefully there will be better technology when Im done with studying!

Back