Social media helps reunite owner with deaf pug

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
CTV British Columbia - Social media helps reunite owner with deaf pug - CTV News

A Vancouver dog trainer whose elderly dog was snatched from her business last week has been reunited with her beloved pet, thanks to the help of strangers and the power of social media.

Christine Reynard put up a $500 reward for the safe return of Roxy, her 11-year-old pug, after she disappeared from the yard of her business, Downtown Dogs, on Aug. 4. The deaf and partially blind dog requires daily eye medication.

A woman, described by witnesses as very intoxicated, was seen in several nearby businesses shortly after asking for a leash and food for the pug she was carrying.

Reynard and her staff, as well as complete strangers, canvassed the East Vancouver neighbourhood for days after the disappearance, handing out posters and speaking to anyone who may have seen Roxy. More than 180 people joined a Facebook group called "Bring Roxy Home" to report sightings and offer information.

But a break in the case came late Sunday night, when a woman in Coquitlam phoned to say she found Roxy.

"She tried to play it off like she found her and just wanted to take care of her, but she matches the police description of the girl in the neighbourhood who was seen with her. I know it was her," Reynard said.

She met with the woman later that night and picked up Roxy, who she describes as "my baby." Despite a gut feeling that the woman was the person that stole her dog, Reynard gave her $100.

"I just desperately wanted my dog back," she said.

Reynard believes that her pet was found because of word-of-mouth, posters, traditional and social media.

"The amount of support I received from friends and stranger alike was astounding. Strangers we would approach on the street in neighbourhoods all over Vancouver had already heard about Roxy's story and were on the lookout," she said.

The dog trainer says she'll keep the Facebook page going to share information about other lost dogs in Vancouver.

Through the internet site and posters, the group has already been able to reunite two lost pugs with their owners.

"We got a sighting near here. It turned out not to be Roxy, but we were able to get the dog to her owners, which was heartwarming," she said.

Reynard is now turning her attention to Lily, a five-pound Chihuahua who went missing after a break-in at the owners home two weeks ago.

"I've learned that we can make things happen if we band together, even if it's something as small as getting a little missing dog back home," she said.

Back