• Isolate yourself

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tell them how I feel

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Continue staying quiet

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Today was the first day I attempted to have fun with my old friends. One of the hardest things is having them know that I have hearing problems, but they don't attempt in any way to put me at ease.

But still, I call them my friends and try to have fun. Half the time, I miss some things that they say and throw vague nods and a yes when I get a chance. When they seem to be satisfied with my reply, I'm momentarily relieved.

Sometimes when I ask for them to repeat what they said, they honestly think it's because I don't care enough to listen.

Since they're not willing to learn, I'll literally text them what I say, and sometimes they'll do the same thing back. But at least I try.

I have been in your situation for a long time. Denial and trying my best to hide my problem created so much anxiety for me, it was very counter-productive. All of my friends know my issue and I am no longer in denial. It makes my anxiety less and my friends are patient with me. There is no golden answer for this. But if they are really your friends, they will take the time to be a friend.

I have been in your situation for a long time. Denial and trying my best to hide my problem created so much anxiety for me, it was very counter-productive. All of my friends know my issue and I am no longer in denial. It makes my anxiety less and my friends are patient with me. There is no golden answer for this. But if they are really your friends, they will take the time to be a friend.

Thanks, it's just been so hard. Some of the know, and I've told others, but I guess they've seem to have brushed it off as something I just said for no reason. There's no reason to sign to them, so I'll just slowly keep to myself.

I was at a local bar a few months ago while I was still wearing my walking cast (broken leg) and a group of 4 stopped me and asked me what happened to my leg, so after I got my drink, I ended up sitting with them, and at one point the only other girl said something that I could not understand, so she pulled out her phone and typed it out to me. We ended up spending the rest of the evening conversing that way. It was actually fun and I was touched that complete strangers would go out of their way to find an alternate way to talk to me.

I was at a local bar a few months ago while I was still wearing my walking cast (broken leg) and a group of 4 stopped me and asked me what happened to my leg, so after I got my drink, I ended up sitting with them, and at one point the only other girl said something that I could not understand, so she pulled out her phone and typed it out to me. We ended up spending the rest of the evening conversing that way. It was actually fun and I was touched that complete strangers would go out of their way to find an alternate way to talk to me.

I was never big on being a social person before my hearing loss, but conversations like those, with strangers, are conversations that I'd love to have. A good way to make friends, and talk with new people.

I was never big on being a social person before my hearing loss, but conversations like those, with strangers, are conversations that I'd love to have. A good way to make friends, and talk with new people.

I would say try to go to Deaf events in your area, and meet some Nice people, if any of yall ever in Belgium, ill gladly meet up :)

I would say try to go to Deaf events in your area, and meet some Nice people, if any of yall ever in Belgium, ill gladly meet up :)

Thanks, they have zero deaf events close to me. I'd love to kind of host an internet one, if anyone is interested.

I had a chat with hearing acquaintance. She knows ASL. Her friend came to us and didn't know ASL. Her friend wanted to make a quick chat with her before she left. Her friend interrupted our conversation politely by signing gestures-"Time Out." and "Sorry".

Back